Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 March 2011, 14:55   #41
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stirling
Boat name: Macaw
Make: Parker 750 CC
Length: 7m +
Engine: VERADO 300XL OB
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 180
It would take a lot of balls to start up a boat building company when the UK boating industry has been so badly affected by the current economic situation (worldwide depression)!

Hope that all involved have read the MCA Big Yellow RIB report.

You will need the services of a VERY good marine architect from Plug & mould work right through to on the water testing & CE documentation.

Good Luck.
__________________

__________________
Callum Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2011, 16:28   #42
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Although dowdy is the joint owner of the company, dowdy himself cannot be the company by law can he?

I think technically he can be owner of a sole trader or partnership business. At the moment, he owns assets and is incurring costs in relation to that business, so I do not see how anyone can claim there is not a business, even if it is making no revenue yet. A business does not have to be set up as a limited company to exist.

I am sitting on the fence in the trade member or not argument tho... JKs law is JKs law, and as he wrote the rules, I think he knows how to interpret them, whether you agree or not.

and could not agree more with Biffers post... why not judge dowdy on the output and quality of his work... Biff - there seems to be a paid job going to review his boats

And dowdy - it takes some guts in this market to set up a new business like this. I was wondering what you had done with the Shakey moulds, as I had seen nothing on Boatmad, now I know. Good luck.
__________________

__________________
Neil Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2011, 16:43   #43
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: oswestry
Boat name: have several
Make: own brand
Length: 8m +
Engine: various
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
I think technically he can be owner of a sole trader or partnership business. At the moment, he owns assets and is incurring costs in relation to that business, so I do not see how anyone can claim there is not a business, even if it is making no revenue yet. A business does not have to be set up as a limited company to exist.

I am sitting on the fence in the trade member or not argument tho... JKs law is JKs law, and as he wrote the rules, I think he knows how to interpret them, whether you agree or not.

and could not agree more with Biffers post... why not judge dowdy on the output and quality of his work... Biff - there seems to be a paid job going to review his boats

And dowdy - it takes some guts in this market to set up a new business like this. I was wondering what you had done with the Shakey moulds, as I had seen nothing on Boatmad, now I know. Good luck.
The shaky moulds were a mistake,we didnt think so at the time,there was too much going on with them,like inner rooflinings,side pods ,two differerent dash parts,beatiful boats when finished,but to many components to put together to make it viable,there is an 830 half done if anyone is interested,all the moulds are now down in Hereford,the 830 800 and both 650s. The rib plug/mould is exactly what i want at mo,something simple and not as challenging as the shakeaspears and hopefully a lot cheaper to make,just to keep things updated,will be signing up as a trade member a.m. tomorrow,not into to causing grief for anyone.
__________________
dowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 March 2011, 14:39   #44
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: oswestry
Boat name: have several
Make: own brand
Length: 8m +
Engine: various
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C. View Post
Dowdy, not only splashing boats but cant even be bothered to take out Trade Membership when you want to push them on the website. Just about sums you up.....
Never met you,never spoke to you,dont know you,assuming A.C.equates to Andy Crabb?If correct can understand the poisoned pen remarks as you are a follower of all things Fuller.Trade membership paid in full A.M. today.
__________________
dowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 March 2011, 14:44   #45
RIBnet supporter
 
gotchiguy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,948
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdy View Post
Never met you,never spoke to you,dont know you,assuming A.C.equates to Andy Crabb?If correct can understand the poisoned pen remarks as you are a follower of all things Fuller.Trade membership paid in full A.M. today.
Assuming my detectives nose is working, no, that is not Andy Crabb but actually Adrian Cronk of Adrian Cronk marine engineering services. You aren't going to help yourself by making accusations like that.
__________________
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 March 2011, 14:49   #46
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: oswestry
Boat name: have several
Make: own brand
Length: 8m +
Engine: various
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Assuming my detectives nose is working, no, that is not Andy Crabb but actually Adrian Cronk of Adrian Cronk marine engineering services. You aren't going to help yourself by making accusations like that.
My apologies,nice to know thine enemies.
__________________
dowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 March 2011, 15:16   #47
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdy View Post
My apologies,nice to know thine enemies.
So any ideas on what the new ribs are going to look like etc anything you can show us?

Jim
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 March 2011, 18:19   #48
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Assuming my detectives nose is working
Which it isn't, seeing as you're wrong.
Quote:
You aren't going to help yourself by making accusations like that.
Seems like it's a common malady.

I think I'm just going to block your school's IP range if you keep on posting like you have been recently.
__________________
John Kennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04 March 2011, 18:23   #49
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
So any ideas on what the new ribs are going to look like etc anything you can show us?
Give the guy a chance. He hasn't even got a mould yet!
__________________
John Kennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2011, 15:33   #50
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: oswestry
Boat name: have several
Make: own brand
Length: 8m +
Engine: various
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
So any ideas on what the new ribs are going to look like etc anything you can show us?

Jim
Big long white things with yellow tubes down the sides.
__________________

__________________
dowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.