Old 01 August 2009, 14:26   #1

Town: Guernsey
Make: Pending
Length: 8m +
Rib market

Hi all,
I was just wondering if anyone thinks the rib market is in a bit of a stall. I have been looking at a few sites and there are quite a lot of good boats around. Redbay, to take a top level site, has a bunch of boats for sale, some from a year or so ago. However, not many of them are offered as discount. Maybe they don't want to sell, or do they think that things will start moving again after the credit crunch?

Cheers,

rupert.

Old 01 August 2009, 15:06   #2
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert View Post
Redbay, to take a top level site,
Good man!
Quote:
Maybe they don't want to sell, or do they think that things will start moving again after the credit crunch?
I suspect that quite a few of the boats on the site are simply advertised there on behalf of the current owners - at least two of whom are members on here. Lads?

Old 01 August 2009, 15:32   #3

Wilk

You picked up on an important part of my thread. Redbay IS top quality. Pity there are no prices on their site, tho. Whilst I was browsing around the new 7.50 cabin (Velocity) took my eye. But who know how much that would cost with a sterndrive. Got any ideas?
Cheers,
rupert.
Old 01 August 2009, 15:34   #4

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
I was just wondering if anyone thinks the rib market is in a bit of a stall. I have been looking at a few sites and there are quite a lot of good boats around. Redbay, to take a top level site, has a bunch of boats for sale, some from a year or so ago. However, not many of them are offered as discount. Maybe they don't want to sell, or do they think that things will start moving again after the credit crunch?
Of all the boats we broker RIBs are most in demand. People who have some disposable income can see no point in having money tied up in the banks right now, whether that is 3k or 300k many of them are looking at RIBs as a nice way to get some value (and fun) for money.

So much so that we have to spend time looking for boats for people to buy, odd in a global recession!

There are certainly more sellers than buyers, but that just means you need to have a nice tidy boat at a sensible price in order to sell it.

Stalled? No.
Old 01 August 2009, 16:19   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Agree with Malthouse - if you dont need the money then its an ace time to ' do something' with it & not just look at it earning bugger all in the bank or stock market.

If however you need cash - due to less work, no job , or lower orders in a company then the boat is one of the first things to go . Its an odd time all round.

I've had people approach me totally out of the blue wanting to buy both my RIBS in the last 2 months.

This comes for someone with no job , but 2 Ribs,a small SIB & 2 inflatable canoes - so feel free to ignore everything I have ever said !
Old 01 August 2009, 16:34   #6
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Whilst I was browsing around the new 7.50 cabin (Velocity) took my eye. But who know how much that would cost with a sterndrive. Got any ideas?
Cheers,
rupert.
She'd be pricey! I'd be guessing at £65k??? (someone please tell me I'm wrong again!) I had the pleasure of a test drive in Sula, a 7.5 twin outboard. That cabin layout worked well and I think there were some improvements planned for the 750. I suspect that the extra weight in the stern would be a help. The Expedition style layout is excellent and I'm sure it translates well into the 750.

Cost is the big one. An extra meter of RIB is neither here nor there and I think it comes down to "trailered or not". The 8.4 is an entirely different beast, superior on the water but unwieldy on a trailer and illegal with all but the best tow vehicles. The 750 may be a "pocket" version, handy on the road etc., but I fear that the cost may not be hugely less, after all, the motor probably accounts for 33% of the bill, and it could be the same unit! The same goes for the electronics and the bulk of the other fitout kit.

I am not for a second knocking the 750, a boat I've not laid eyes, never mind feet on, but I think it's horses for courses.

If you're interested, email Tom* or Gary, but I'd really suggest a quick trip into Redbay, they're handy to the airport and put on a great welcome. The cabin boats need to be experienced! If you want to cross wild waters in confidence and comfort, they're hard to beat. Currently André on here may have the only meaningful competition in that size class.

I'm looking!

Old 02 August 2009, 05:34   #7

Tx. Willk,

Some very helpful comments there. I think I might have a chat to Tm or gary. Are their e-mails on the redbay site?

Cheers,
rupert
Old 02 August 2009, 10:11   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Some very helpful comments there. I think I might have a chat to Tm or gary. Are their e-mails on the redbay site?

Cheers,
rupert
If you email Gary (I think he will respond to the sales@redbay.... type address) then he will probably send you their price list. I don't have an up-to-date list but was actually pleasantly surprised when I spoke to them a year or two ago. Still more £ than I can afford/justify.
Old 02 August 2009, 12:18   #9
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Are their e-mails on the redbay site?
No. gfyfe@redbayboats.com - Gary Fyfe
Old 02 August 2009, 12:34   #10