Old 01 August 2009, 18:26   #1

Town: Guernsey
Make: Pending
Length: 8m +
Rib market

Hi all,
I was just wondering if anyone thinks the rib market is in a bit of a stall. I have been looking at a few sites and there are quite a lot of good boats around. Redbay, to take a top level site, has a bunch of boats for sale, some from a year or so ago. However, not many of them are offered as discount. Maybe they don't want to sell, or do they think that things will start moving again after the credit crunch?

Cheers,

rupert.
Old 01 August 2009, 19:06   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert View Post
Redbay, to take a top level site,
Good man!
Quote:
Maybe they don't want to sell, or do they think that things will start moving again after the credit crunch?
I suspect that quite a few of the boats on the site are simply advertised there on behalf of the current owners - at least two of whom are members on here. Lads?
Old 01 August 2009, 19:32   #3

Wilk

You picked up on an important part of my thread. Redbay IS top quality. Pity there are no prices on their site, tho. Whilst I was browsing around the new 7.50 cabin (Velocity) took my eye. But who know how much that would cost with a sterndrive. Got any ideas?
Cheers,
rupert.
Old 01 August 2009, 19:34   #4

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
I was just wondering if anyone thinks the rib market is in a bit of a stall. I have been looking at a few sites and there are quite a lot of good boats around. Redbay, to take a top level site, has a bunch of boats for sale, some from a year or so ago. However, not many of them are offered as discount. Maybe they don't want to sell, or do they think that things will start moving again after the credit crunch?
Of all the boats we broker RIBs are most in demand. People who have some disposable income can see no point in having money tied up in the banks right now, whether that is 3k or 300k many of them are looking at RIBs as a nice way to get some value (and fun) for money.

So much so that we have to spend time looking for boats for people to buy, odd in a global recession!

There are certainly more sellers than buyers, but that just means you need to have a nice tidy boat at a sensible price in order to sell it.

Stalled? No.
Old 01 August 2009, 20:19   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Agree with Malthouse - if you dont need the money then its an ace time to ' do something' with it & not just look at it earning bugger all in the bank or stock market.

If however you need cash - due to less work, no job , or lower orders in a company then the boat is one of the first things to go . Its an odd time all round.

I've had people approach me totally out of the blue wanting to buy both my RIBS in the last 2 months.

This comes for someone with no job , but 2 Ribs,a small SIB & 2 inflatable canoes - so feel free to ignore everything I have ever said !
Old 01 August 2009, 20:34   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Whilst I was browsing around the new 7.50 cabin (Velocity) took my eye. But who know how much that would cost with a sterndrive. Got any ideas?
Cheers,
rupert.
She'd be pricey! I'd be guessing at £65k??? (someone please tell me I'm wrong again!) I had the pleasure of a test drive in Sula, a 7.5 twin outboard. That cabin layout worked well and I think there were some improvements planned for the 750. I suspect that the extra weight in the stern would be a help. The Expedition style layout is excellent and I'm sure it translates well into the 750.

Cost is the big one. An extra meter of RIB is neither here nor there and I think it comes down to "trailered or not". The 8.4 is an entirely different beast, superior on the water but unwieldy on a trailer and illegal with all but the best tow vehicles. The 750 may be a "pocket" version, handy on the road etc., but I fear that the cost may not be hugely less, after all, the motor probably accounts for 33% of the bill, and it could be the same unit! The same goes for the electronics and the bulk of the other fitout kit.

I am not for a second knocking the 750, a boat I've not laid eyes, never mind feet on, but I think it's horses for courses.

If you're interested, email Tom* or Gary, but I'd really suggest a quick trip into Redbay, they're handy to the airport and put on a great welcome. The cabin boats need to be experienced! If you want to cross wild waters in confidence and comfort, they're hard to beat. Currently André on here may have the only meaningful competition in that size class.

I'm looking!

Old 02 August 2009, 09:34   #7

Tx. Willk,

Some very helpful comments there. I think I might have a chat to Tm or gary. Are their e-mails on the redbay site?

Cheers,
rupert
Old 02 August 2009, 14:11   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Some very helpful comments there. I think I might have a chat to Tm or gary. Are their e-mails on the redbay site?

Cheers,
rupert
If you email Gary (I think he will respond to the sales@redbay.... type address) then he will probably send you their price list. I don't have an up-to-date list but was actually pleasantly surprised when I spoke to them a year or two ago. Still more £ than I can afford/justify.
Old 02 August 2009, 16:18   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Are their e-mails on the redbay site?
No. gfyfe@redbayboats.com - Gary Fyfe
Old 02 August 2009, 16:34   #10

Thanks guys.

Thanks,
rupert
Old 04 August 2009, 08:47   #11

Hi Willk

Could you confirm that e-ail address? I wrote to Gary a couple of days ago, but have not received any news yet.

Thanks,
Cheers,
rupert
Old 04 August 2009, 09:12   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Could you confirm that e-ail address? I wrote to Gary a couple of days ago, but have not received any news yet.

Thanks,
Cheers,
rupert
I'm fairly sure they don't answer emails on Saturdays or Sundays, Rupert, but Mondays, well Mondays are another story. Gary might be on holidays or they may be splashing a new 11?

Try them using the general address, info@redbayboats.com - mark it for Gary/Tom.
Old 05 August 2009, 17:53   #13

Hi Willk

Just thought I'd let you know I heard back from Gary. Guess what, after reading the stuff he sent me, I can't make up my mind as to whether I would like a 7.4 or 8.4, or whether canopy or cabin! Got any thoughts?

Cheers,
rupert.
Old 05 August 2009, 18:05   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Just thought I'd let you know I heard back from Gary. Guess what, after reading the stuff he sent me, I can't make up my mind as to whether I would like a 7.4 or 8.4, or whether canopy or cabin! Got any thoughts?

Cheers,
rupert.
Buy one of each - and then whichever you decide you don't like you can give to me! If you are serious about buying one of those 4 combinations I would arrange with Gary to go and sea trial them and look at them in the flesh. One of the major decision factors though may be if you want to tow it on the road.
Old 05 August 2009, 18:26   #15

Polwart

Wish I could afford to throw one your way. I have only just recently sold my boat (not a rib) after a very long time, and I now want to buy the rib I have always wanted. I am asking plenty of questions because I want to get the right boat this time!
In answer to your point about trailering. Yes, this is an important aspect as I may take it from the C.I.'s into Europe at different periods.
Seaworthiness is another, but I guess all of these combinations have that.

Cheers,
rupert.
Old 06 August 2009, 21:24   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
I can't make up my mind as to whether I would like a 7.4 or 8.4, or whether canopy or cabin! Got any thoughts?
Yes,

But more seriously, I think you should fly over and trial them. The 7 and 8s are surprisingly different. They're meant to be building another 750 Cabin soon and there's always a few 8.4s knocking about the shop - the yard is a feckin' Owner's Club Display Area.
Old 07 August 2009, 07:13   #17

Hi Willk

Doubt if I shall be able to get over in the near future, so...
I iniitally instinctively favoured the 7.4. Smaller, probably easier to throw around. More fun. However, but there are strong arguments in favour of the 8.4, namely:

- more cockpit space;
- the 8.4 can carry more people comfortably;
- both are towable, although the 8.4 is 3,450 kgs on the road (could be a
hassle for long journeys);
- the 84. he 8.4 is theoretically probably better for seaworthiness in that
hull length and weight always enhance handling;
- there is not a great differencd in the base price between the canopy
versions.

Any thing else?

rupert
Old 07 August 2009, 16:27   #18
RIBnet Supporter

Willk in Blue
Quote:
Doubt if I shall be able to get over in the near future, so...
I iniitally instinctively favoured the 7.4. Smaller, probably easier to throw around. More fun. You haven't been in an 11m with Tom McLaughlin. He can make a quail lose it's lunch. You can really chuck all those bad puppies around. However, but there are strong arguments in favour of the 8.4, namely:

- more cockpit space; A bit more - some of the extra space is in the aft well, some in the cabin walkway.
- the 8.4 can carry more people comfortably; two more, but on the benches.
- both are towable, although the 8.4 is 3,450 kgs on the road (could be a
hassle for long journeys); What does the 750 Cabin weigh? - can't be much less than 3000kg?, a PITA too on a long run!
- the 84. he 8.4 is theoretically probably better for seaworthiness in that
hull length and weight always enhance handling; It is a much smoother boat in the rough. They're both safe as houses.
- there is not a great differencd in the base price between the canopy
versions. They created the Cabin range because Canopy users rarely removed them. See Paul Beaurain's Orkney Log on here (and Redbay website). Mind you, the Channel Island climate may suit one quite well
Any thing else?
Don't buy Sula.
rupert
Old 07 August 2009, 17:27   #19

Thanks a ton, Willk,

Good stuff to rad through carefully.

I noticed Paul's boat is for sale, and I love it, but it is not really competitive pricewise for me - I have no VAT in the C.I.'s. And he has already paid it, so no saving there. However, if he drops the price a far bit....which he won't
Thanks for the tip about Sula, which I saw up for sale. Can I ask why. Been stressed out or had a bang, perhaps?

Thanks,
rupert.
Old 07 August 2009, 20:52   #20
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Been stressed out or had a bang, perhaps
No, a very clean boat with top spec kit and low hours. My advice stands.