Old 08 January 2016, 13:24   #1

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Rib launching in Great Yarmouth area

Hi all
This summer we plan to cruise round Denmark in company with the rest of the "round something group" our first plan was to trail to Hull then ferry to Rotterdam then trail up to the Keil canal.Part of the fleet will be setting of from the south coast and going by sea all the way,so as an option we may launch from the Great Yarmouth area and link up with them off the Netherlands.
We will be trailing our 8m Scorpion from Blackpool and as I am not familiar with the South East I wondered if anyone could recommend a decent Marina in the area where we could launch and leave our car and trailer safely for a couple of weeks
Cheers
Mike Thornton
Old 08 January 2016, 14:15   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Hi Mike. Yarmouth doesn't really have much to offer. There's a couple of slipways where you could launch an 8m but they're not ideal, plus neither offer decent parking and Yarmouth isn't the safest of places to leave a car for two weeks!

Your best bet would either be to launch at Brundall or Lowestoft:
Brundall is a couple of hours slow speed chug up river from Yarmouth on the Broads. There's plenty of decent slipways and marinas where you could leave your car and trailer. There's also good location accommodation (my mother runs a bed and breakfast here!) and eateries nearby if you wanted to stay the night before setting off.

Lowestoft if your better coastal option, about ten miles south of Yarmouth. The Royal Norfolk and Suffolk yacht club has a decent slip, secure marina and yard where you could leave your car and trailer.

Let me know if you want any more info - I live just outside of Brundall and launch around the coast regularly. Always fancied running over to Amsterdam by RIB. Did it under sail once which took forever!
Old 08 January 2016, 17:50   #3

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Thanks for the positive feedback Tim
Looks like Lowestoft would be our best option.Brundall sounds great but owing to our time constraints a two hour chug down river might be cutting it a bit fine
Mike T

Tags
rib