Old 09 October 2012, 12:07   #1

Town: Basingstoke
Make: Ribeye 785s
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 225 K3
MMSI: 232018159
RIB inspection service?

I'm looking to purchase a 2nd hand Rib, but not an expert in spotting the possible issues.

I don't have a specific boat lined up yet, but the area would be south-coast.

Is there anyone out there / recommendations for something equivalent to the RAC inspection? i.e. someone to come along [for a fee] and advise on any issues - possibly rough views on costs for any repairs necessay?

Thanks,

Totallydave [newbie]
Old 09 October 2012, 12:47   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Duncan Saunders surveyor at Hamble is one great option , he is. Ribnet sure too!!
Old 09 October 2012, 13:12   #3

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Alternatively, just purchase through a reputable broker.
Old 09 October 2012, 13:16   #4

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
The fact that you're on here means you'll have a pretty good idea of the difference between a good and bad boat.

I got Mark from MB marine to survey my engine, I figured a Mercury engineer would be in a better position to find out if there were any problems, he also looked over everything else for me.
Old 09 October 2012, 13:31   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Alternatively, just purchase through a reputable broker.
Really? Surely that's like a used car salesman telling a buyer not to bother with an AA inspection?

Old 09 October 2012, 13:45   #6

Town: River Hamble
Second vote here for Duncan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Duncan Saunders surveyor at Hamble is one great option , he is. Ribnet sure too!!
Old 09 October 2012, 13:58   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Really? Surely that's like a used car salesman telling a buyer not to bother with an AA inspection?

I think you've been too long in Ireland my friend

The clarification was "reputable" - otherwise I might agree!
Old 09 October 2012, 14:16   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribshop View Post
Second vote here for Duncan.
+1
Old 09 October 2012, 14:32   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:

The clarification was "reputable" - otherwise I might agree!
That was quite good, two Oxymorons in one post

Seriously though - do you really mean that a boat broker (a beneficiary of the sale) would fulfill the same function as a Marine Surveyor/inspector/mechanic? Surely there is a conflict of interest there somewhere?

You seem to be suggesting that people should dispense with the services of marine surveyors in favour of buying from an "honest John" broker. Who are the reputable brokers? Are they certified or inspected for "reputation"?

Now, if a broker was offering me a warranty, instead of the usual telephone book's worth of legalese cop-out weasel words, then I might have more confidence in trusting him to sell me a good 'un.

Old 09 October 2012, 14:35   #10

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
define reputable

I bought an almost new boat from a large dealer in the midlands in 2008 after seeing the boats at the boatshow and taking a test drive etc . big positve reviews in magazines etc of the boats and the dealer . Ha Ha
I didn't keep the boat long and sold it on almost as new with under 100 hrs on it .

the hull later developed a serious manufacturing fault with large cracks appearing down the chines the dealer did a very bodged repair with what looked like gel coat filler , now its split again and they won't help . Looks likie the boat could be a write off .
Old 09 October 2012, 15:16   #11

RIBase
Re Reputable Brokers.

Clearly I can't defend the indefensible and if you have been "stitched up" by a broker, then I'm as appalled as you. And I can't claim that having a financial stake in a sale won't lead some people astray.

As it happens, when acting as brokers we would always suggest people get a mechanics report or a print out of the engine - as much to protect our reputation as their satisfaction. In fact in most cases (as in the Zodiac 550 Pro Open we,ve just advertised), we would get that information in advance of advertising the boat.

I think that an ethical broker who is looking to build or keep a good reputation would be able to see that "stitching someone up" for the sake of a quick profit is not the way to build a business.

If we sell a boat on behalf of someone else, we are always keen to inspect the boat before advertising it and certainly wouldn't look to cover up or omit to mention something which would materially effect the value or performance. If we are selling our own stock, we are legally obliged to offer a warranty and therefore do.

We know a lot about ribs and I could easily write a list of each popular rib manufacturer and the likely faults with a used rib of theirs - and some unlikely ones. Part of our service is to make sure the customer is informed and ultimately happy with their purchase.

Have to stop now and polish my Halo

Seriously though, I know there are dishonest people out their who claim to be reputable brokers, but equally, there are those who don't see the point in going through life ripping people off and I wasn't seriously suggesting that you "take things at face value" just because someone's got an "honest face"

So to address the point directly - if you are not sure about the honesty of who you are buying from then an independent opinion can't be a bad thing!
Old 09 October 2012, 15:53   #12

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Wanderer
Make: Ribeye, Zodiac FR
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F300, 25 2S
MMSI: 235095667
RIBS are generally simple boats compared to cruisers, cars etc. it is pretty simple to check the electrics are working and you can usually check the hull condition when the boat is out of the water. This leaves tubes, trailer, steering and engine(s). I guess the main problem with tubes would be spotting a slow leak as most other things are easily observable.. When were the trailer bearings last replaced, brakes serviced etc. and check for receipts as some form of proof. I would like to know when the steering was last serviced and parts replaced as appropriate (eg. Hyd fluid changed) again looking for proof. Personally I would walk away from any boat where the engine does not have a complete, up to date dealer service history. I would also phone the relevant dealers to check that the history given is genuine.

I would recommend that when you look at boats you take a friend with you. Hopefully they won't be wearing rose tinted glasses when they look at it.

Hope you enjoy your boat when you get one.
Old 09 October 2012, 16:48   #13

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Duncan is a good guy, but far the best person to talk into looking at a rib is someone who builds them, they will know the inside track to the layup as well as all the little things like engine mounts etc, I recently looked at a boat for someone that was surveyed by a bonafide guy ( not a rib and not Duncan) the engine mounts were just coach bolted into the stringers and had just pulled out under load, things like this are easy to spot if you had first hand experience at building them
Old 09 October 2012, 17:49   #14

Town: Basingstoke
Make: Ribeye 785s
Engine: Honda 225 K3
MMSI: 232018159
Guys this is all great. Many thanks. I will reach out to anyone offering their services personally. I especially thank those that actually give a heads up on what to look for and to leave the rose tinted glasses at home. ;-)
Old 09 October 2012, 19:11   #15

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Advice come once you know what boat you're looking at, different manufacturers have different problems, also the year can make a difference too, some ribeye and ribtec boats were built in Africa in certain years also some boats from most builders were rigged by contractors which can be either good or bad. Some boats are built to a price regardless of where they are made so don't bother with them. Some older boats have been redone and that opens up a whole can of worm, if you get a boat like say Jizm is doing you'll get a good boat, he purchased the boat which is a cobra and it was falling apart and badly made but now it's done right, so you could get a bad or a good one from the same year.
What I'm saying is you'll have to bite the bullet and get someone to look at whatever you're buying to be really sure
Old 10 October 2012, 20:40   #16

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer
Advice come once you know what boat you're looking at, different manufacturers have different problems, also the year can make a difference too, some ribeye and ribtec boats were built in Africa in certain years also some boats from most builders were rigged by contractors which can be either good or bad. Some boats are built to a price regardless of where they are made so don't bother with them. Some older boats have been redone and that opens up a whole can of worm, if you get a boat like say Jizm is doing you'll get a good boat, he purchased the boat which is a cobra and it was falling apart and badly made but now it's done right, so you could get a bad or a good one from the same year.
What I'm saying is you'll have to bite the bullet and get someone to look at whatever you're buying to be really sure
Cheers biff!
Got a bit of stainless work for you when I finally make it over!!!
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 21:02   #17
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Nice one Willk!!

Got to agree with you. Have only bought one boat and have been very happy with it but the cars I have bought off 'reputable' dealers - another story.
Old 10 October 2012, 22:08   #18

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
That was quite good, two Oxymorons in one post

Seriously though - do you really mean that a boat broker (a beneficiary of the sale) would fulfill the same function as a Marine Surveyor/inspector/mechanic? Surely there is a conflict of interest there somewhere?

You seem to be suggesting that people should dispense with the services of marine surveyors in favour of buying from an "honest John" broker. Who are the reputable brokers? Are they certified or inspected for "reputation"?

Now, if a broker was offering me a warranty, instead of the usual telephone book's worth of legalese cop-out weasel words, then I might have more confidence in trusting him to sell me a good 'un.

+ 1 for Willk

Quote:

!
Being Irish doesn't mean we can not smell bullsh1t
Old 11 October 2012, 19:35   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
+ 1 for Willk

Being Irish doesn't mean we can not smell bullsh1t
Yep so right! We smell enough of it every day not to be able to recognise it when we smell it from somewhere else!
Old 11 October 2012, 21:36   #20

RIBase
In defence of serious brokers (like myself). If you think that I would sell someone a boat without doing due diligence as to the authenticity of the description, makinig sure that the price reflected the market value of the boat, making sure the prospective purchaser was aware of any deatil that might cause them to be disappointed with the purchase and giving the prospective purchaser the opportunity of a thorough sea trial prior to completeing the purchase of the boat; you clearly don't knowe me!

I have sold many boats to RIBnet "members" and I'm sure they would have voiced any dissatifactions or "rip offs".

Yes there are dishonest people out there (hello E-Bay), but there are also honest people who work very hard to make sure that their reputation gives people confidence in buying from / through them.

We typically make 7% comission on a sale and mostly deal with sub £40K sales. If you think I (or other reputable brokers) would risk our businesses for a quick buck, You are crazy!

Now just to show that I love you Irish guys - I'm off for a large (actually very large) Jameson's!

Tags
rib