Old 13 December 2012, 17:05   #1

Length: no boat
RIBase
Rib in Rough Water

Having a big dispute with a mate regarding throttle control in heavy weather. Having bought a sea-going rib we are pretty sure one day to have to make our way home in bad weather.

I am of the opinion that going down wind / waves (if possible) is the only way to go when conditions are extreme. He thinks good throttle control upwind is totally safe. Does the video above prove my point?
Old 13 December 2012, 17:11   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Your start point has to be rough water training as a boat may need to be helmed, beam seas, following seas or into the waves. Here is a good reference start from a fine trainer
The Powerboat Training Website

and also here on earlier postings
http://www.rib.net/forum/f39/rough-w...tzel-9591.html

Just as a note to your thoughts, going as you say "downwind/waves" can be as dangerous by planting/stuffing bow into a wave and effectively stopping the boat and filling with water and at worst rolling over the bow!
Old 13 December 2012, 17:17   #3

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Your start point has to be rough water training as a boat may need to be helmed, beam seas, following seas or into the waves. Here is a good reference start from a fine trainer
The Powerboat Training Website

and also here on earlier postings
http://www.rib.net/forum/f39/rough-w...tzel-9591.html

Very useful and thank you!
Old 13 December 2012, 17:55   #4

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
To be honest, the first thing you need to know in when to stay put.
The vid is extreme and anyone thinking of "making your way home" in that needs to think again.

If you are thinking "is this too much for me?" then the answer is yes, stay put and wait or find a different way home. 99% of the time the boat will out last you, the question is very rarely "can the boat take it?".

Upwind as your vid suggests can cause the issue illustrated, but you are in just as much danger if you run down the back of a big wave and stuff the nose of the boat, it can pivot on the bow and roll as the following wave overtakes.

I would suggest taking some advanced training, if you can find some one who is flexible to wait for the "correct" weather you'll learn a lot.

I did similar in a 15 dell quay dory launching in surf (Little haven, Pembs) for the Regatta's, Mad Mackerel Race when i was 14, luckilly we washed back on to the beach and no one was hurt, flipped the boat back over and re launched, but were too late to catch enough fish

I've also buried the nose of 1 or 2 boats in my time, the "green room" is a pretty, but concerning place to be :P

Tim @ Griffin Marine gets my vote if you need some pointers.
Old 13 December 2012, 18:37   #5

Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post

Tim @ Griffin Marine gets my vote if you need some pointers.
Another vote for Tim here. Had some interesting conditions to return to 'England' in a few years ago!
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 03:45   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Personally, I'm way more afraid of following seas than head seas. Beating into the weather may be unpleasant, but going downhill is treacherous.

jky
Old 17 December 2012, 04:24   #7

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: Merc 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Personally, I'm way more afraid of following seas than head seas. Beating into the weather may be unpleasant, but going downhill is treacherous.

jky
Amen to that brother.

Cheers
Old 17 December 2012, 07:27   #8

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
+1 I'd much rather be heading into the wind. I feel there is much more control. A following see is fun when your "surfing" the wave, but that's it, its just for fun
Old 17 December 2012, 07:39   #9

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
When you're racing you have no choice - in reality another coming from the beam is actually a real issue, especially with a strong wind. As has been said above you can adjust your driving to suit the conditions and different hulls respond differently so some are better in head seas and some not.

The thing to remember is the best decision you will ever make is not to go out when it's too rough - judging when it's too rough is the hard part!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 08:06   #10

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Id rather be heading down wind in mine. Cause mines so light at the nose you have alot more close calls! Going down wind we just shift our weight back and go. The nose does go under sometimes but usually if the waves a decent size it gets jumped anyway!

On my level2 powerboat course they told me to hit waves at a 45% angle & just zigzag up & down wind in large swells.
Old 17 December 2012, 08:37   #11

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Sometimes when you have to be somewhere else you have to brave the weather. Practice makes perfect and trust your boat springs to mind. You need a good boat to start with though. Personally I don't like beam on high wind seas
Old 17 December 2012, 08:47   #12

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Whenever I've seen that clip over the last few years it's always reminded me of a certain Ribnet cruise to Yarmouth quite a few years ago.

It was a bit rough and windy to say the least, and we should have all been sensible and stayed at home.

Most of the smaller boats stayed tied up in Pompey harbour and we all piled onto my Ocean and Old Spice back when Pete7 still had her.

Those on my boat I remember were Olyit, Jimbo, TimM, and his girlfriend.

We got out of the harbour and headed along the wall straight into a really confused sea.
We hit a particulary steep tall wave and went completely vertical.
To this day I don't know how we didn't go over backwards.

The sensible thing to do is stay at home if you have the option.

Nasher.
Old 17 December 2012, 08:57   #13

Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
I'd go for beam seas being the scariest in general.

David
Old 17 December 2012, 09:14   #14

Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
As to when to stay put, someone once said to me........

It's better to be on shore wishing you were out on your boat than to be out on your boat wishing you were ashore......
Old 17 December 2012, 17:38   #15

Town: West Sussex
with the right length to match the beam and weight and with the right power on the transom even F6 /7 should not be a problem - as for the crew on board in such conditions than that is another matter.
By the way I am not on board this Parker 900 Baltic rib only my brother Philip with his son Chris having what seems to be fun for some and punishment for others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9557a.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	74897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9558a.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	74898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9559a.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	74899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9560a.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	74900   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9561a.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	74901  

Old 19 December 2012, 16:22   #16

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by indaba1991 View Post

I am of the opinion that going down wind / waves (if possible) is the only way to go when conditions are extreme. He thinks good throttle control upwind is totally safe.
Neither is totally safe, of course. It does depend what boat you're in. I used to drive an RNLI Atlantic in some fairly big seas - many years ago now - and I feel for the Whitstable crew in the video!

The problem with going down wind and waves is that it usually ends up on the beach. In the big stuff, you may find you have no choice but to make your way to (relative) safety into the waves

As so many have said already though - best of all, just don't be there in the first place
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2012, 16:34   #17

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Whenever I've seen that clip over the last few years it's always reminded me of a certain Ribnet cruise to Yarmouth quite a few years ago.

It was a bit rough and windy to say the least, and we should have all been sensible and stayed at home.

Most of the smaller boats stayed tied up in Pompey harbour and we all piled onto my Ocean and Old Spice back when Pete7 still had her.

Those on my boat I remember were Olyit, Jimbo, TimM, and his girlfriend.

We got out of the harbour and headed along the wall straight into a really confused sea.
We hit a particulary steep tall wave and went completely vertical.
To this day I don't know how we didn't go over backwards.

The sensible thing to do is stay at home if you have the option.

Nasher.
We went out to watch the round the island yacht race a couple of summers ago, sat off the needles in some nasty oncoming seas – got blown backwards off a very steep breaking swell and dumped right on our arse, I’m helming and a mate stood immediately behind me virtually went under…………….the boat landed right way up and after fanatically starting the engine we went into the shelter of alum bay for a shaky cup of tea!
Old 19 December 2012, 16:53   #18

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by indaba1991 View Post

Having a big dispute with a mate regarding throttle control in heavy weather. Having bought a sea-going rib we are pretty sure one day to have to make our way home in bad weather.

I am of the opinion that going down wind / waves (if possible) is the only way to go when conditions are extreme. He thinks good throttle control upwind is totally safe. Does the video above prove my point?
No it doesn't prove your point.

Going upwind or down, at a certain point the waves are so steep you either stuff the bow or go end over end as shown. However in the clip shown, the steepness is a direct function of the beach/shore which is causing the wave to break in the first place. If you are crossing a bar or shoal that's when you get these types of waves. And going downhill on the exact steep breaking wave they flipped on would have been equally dangerous IMHO. They would have raced down the wave, buried the bow in the tough and then the breaking portion of the wave would have pushed the stern of the boat over their heads. The waves are too steep and high for that vessel's waterline length and they probbaly would have flipped regardless of direction of travel. As others have said, sometimes it just not safe and you shouldn't be out there period.
Old 19 December 2012, 16:58   #19

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
I have to say, I rarely take a big sea head on .. but then I'm mostly in deep water for my cruising .. I'll tack or follow but to me, the risk of a lot of your hull suddenly becoming visible to the wind is a very dodgy position to be in, because you cant be certain of the shape of the wave sometimes, particularly if the wind isnt with the tide, and therefore how quickly it will dissapear under you, and then neither do you know the strength of the wind/gust coming behind it. So its my least favourite option.

In the North Minch .. sometimes, heavy sea seems appear from nowhere, despite the best forecast, and prefering 'not to be out' isnt always an option, so knowing how to deal with it, and balance your boat appropriately for the conditions is an absolute must.
Old 19 December 2012, 19:10   #20

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
When you're racing you have no choice - in reality another coming from the beam is actually a real issue, especially with a strong wind. As has been said above you can adjust your driving to suit the conditions and different hulls respond differently so some are better in head seas and some not.

The thing to remember is the best decision you will ever make is not to go out when it's too rough - judging when it's too rough is the hard part!
Interesting thing in strong wind! I have been doing trials in the past few days on the Protector which is a relatively heavy boat. The weather has been pretty windy, wet and pretty rough because of some unusually high tides. In protected water in the Solent I noticed a very strong squall coming towards the boat - as it hit the attitude of the boat changed dramatically and the course made good altered about 30 degrees forcing me to turn hard into the squall to correct direction. I was travelling around 25 kts

Tags
rib

« A lovely day | Top | Wanted »