Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 20 December 2012, 03:41   #21
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
A little story to indicate how tough the racing is sometimes - It was a two part race for the Needles Trophy, probably one of the most prestigious trophies around. We had raced from Poole to The Hamble (the finish was in the Solent) on the Saturday, we were overnighting at the Royal Southern and had to return on Sunday morning, the weather forecast wasn't too bad but we were to hit wind over tide as we headed out past the Needles. The waves were so steep that it was impossible to stay on the plane with the boat going almost vertical on most waves and occasionally you would come over the top of a wave to find nothing but a huge hole! Despite my navigator yelling at me I changed course by around 45 degrees and instantly our speed went up and we could just about cope with the conditions, we changed course by 90 degrees every few minutes and got clear of the nasty stuff before everyone else and won the race by around twenty minutes (it felt like that but may have only been 5!) when we arrived at the Pier at Bournemouth.

It was scary at the time and we would have taken a very different route if we hadn't been racing but we had a mark to head for!
__________________

__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 04:34   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
A little story to indicate how tough the racing is sometimes - It was a two part race for the Needles Trophy, probably one of the most prestigious trophies around. We had raced from Poole to The Hamble (the finish was in the Solent) on the Saturday, we were overnighting at the Royal Southern and had to return on Sunday morning, the weather forecast wasn't too bad but we were to hit wind over tide as we headed out past the Needles. The waves were so steep that it was impossible to stay on the plane with the boat going almost vertical on most waves and occasionally you would come over the top of a wave to find nothing but a huge hole! Despite my navigator yelling at me I changed course by around 45 degrees and instantly our speed went up and we could just about cope with the conditions, we changed course by 90 degrees every few minutes and got clear of the nasty stuff before everyone else and won the race by around twenty minutes (it felt like that but may have only been 5!) when we arrived at the Pier at Bournemouth.

It was scary at the time and we would have taken a very different route if we hadn't been racing but we had a mark to head for!
This is why I am building a Wave Piercing Boat. The "hardest" water I have ever hit is when I set off to go around the world in 2006. As we came through the Needles I saw a monster wave rolling in past Bridge. There was nothing I could do and it hit the boat half way up the mast and did a lot of cosmetic damage. in the following 25000 miles I never saw a wave as big as this one. If I was in a rib, I would have driven along it at a slight angle and consider religion once I got to the top! Alan P
__________________

__________________
Alan Priddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 04:51   #23
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy View Post

This is why I am building a Wave Piercing Boat. The "hardest" water I have ever hit is when I set off to go around the world in 2006. As we came through the Needles I saw a monster wave rolling in past Bridge. There was nothing I could do and it hit the boat half way up the mast and did a lot of cosmetic damage. in the following 25000 miles I never saw a wave as big as this one. If I was in a rib, I would have driven along it at a slight angle and consider religion once I got to the top! Alan P

Do you remember some of the stuff up the top of Scotland when we went round Britain in 1999, I remember our friend Hugo stuffing there boat and all the deck gear floated off, we were not going fast but we watched a wave stop his boat dead.
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 06:12   #24
RIBnet supporter
 
tonymac's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 909
RIBase
The Atlantic can turn really nasty of the north west coast of Ireland. There are a few islands there which break the rollers and give you a false sense of calm. On one occasion I was out with my daughter (PB2 holder) doing a spot of fishing. She was driving north again towards harbour. We came out of narrows into the Atlantic to see that we had huge breaking waves between us and the harbour. We were in them before we really realised. Could not even change drivers so she hung on, relied on her training, powered up and down and zig zaged. Got us home in one piece much to my relief. Waves were the biggest I have ever seen. People on nearby shore kept losing sight of us in the waves.

On another beautiful, windless day I was out on Tory island. Heading home across Tory Sound I then realised that the millpond I was on was moving! The swell began. Nothing in my mind is ever so scary as the implied Atlantic swell. The sea kept calm thankfully but the huge roller swells kept reminding me of the power and the threat of the sea and what it could do to me if unleashed! Scary when you go into the trough of a swell and you can see nothing around you but water - yet the sea is as calm .... Made it across Tory Sound and down the west coast in one of my fastest times ever!!!
__________________
-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**
Any meaning read into my message is the product of your own mind...
tonymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 09:27   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Do you remember some of the stuff up the top of Scotland when we went round Britain in 1999, I remember our friend Hugo stuffing there boat and all the deck gear floated off, we were not going fast but we watched a wave stop his boat dead.
Hi Biff. I remember it well. 1999? So nearly 10 years before the powerboat "Boys" thought they went round (on trailers) and now they cannot even orgaise a trip to the South of France. Perhaps when you are fighting fit we can re-enact the trip. You know, bar to bar? ATB Alan
__________________
Alan Priddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 10:23   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 500
Result of stuffing the Arctic into a wave whilst running with the weather, another expensive day's boating!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_0106repairsboat0045.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	74963  
__________________
GordyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 11:20   #27
Member
 
The Grocer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Kildonan, Arran
Boat name: Cowal (& Bennan)
Make: Quinquari Humber/RC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF150/DF175x2
MMSI: 235036953
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyP View Post
Result of stuffing the Arctic into a wave whilst running with the weather, another expensive day's boating!
Ouch! When - & where - did that happen?
__________________
Russell
The Grocer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 11:25   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 500
Heading down to Kip form Largs a few years ago just opposite Wemyss Bay. Came down the back of a wave into an unexpectedly deep hole, ripped the tubes back to just behind the console.

Henshaws made some nice new ones for me though.
__________________
GordyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 12:07   #29
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac View Post
Scary when you go into the trough of a swell and you can see nothing around you but water
Yes we get some days like that after a prolonged North Westerly in the North Minch ... I remember as a boy putting up and down massive 40 odd footers in a wee 16 foot wooden dingy where the motor laboured as you climbed up the front, then revved up a little when you surfed down the back powering over them once the wind has dropped, at an angle in the RIB is excellent fun, as they tend to be quite regular, so you can vary your 'hang time' as you come off the back
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 13:09   #30
Member
 
The Grocer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Kildonan, Arran
Boat name: Cowal (& Bennan)
Make: Quinquari Humber/RC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF150/DF175x2
MMSI: 235036953
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyP View Post
Heading down to Kip form Largs a few years ago just opposite Wemyss Bay. Came down the back of a wave into an unexpectedly deep hole, ripped the tubes back to just behind the console.

Henshaws made some nice new ones for me though.
I can imagine why you'd be surprised up there! Seen your new tubes a few times on our travels; just had our Ribcraft re-tubed at Ferry Marine - but that was down to old age, not youthful exuberance... ;-)
__________________

__________________
Russell
The Grocer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

« A lovely day | Top | Wanted »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.