Old 26 August 2011, 19:05   #1

Make: BAT boats
Length: 10m +
Engine: 3×300,outboard
RIB Future

I'm a fourteen year old high school student and there is three year for me to finish school and I think I want to be a naval architect and then I want to specialize on design of boats and my dream is to engineer a very different and useful boat which will be treated like an invention and that can be. About hull shape ,engine or a new design.And I'm really interested in RIBs ,for me it's a passion.I want to engineer and design those RIBs using my creativity and engineering skills at the same time .And I don't want to just sit on a desk I also want to test them,to cruise ,I want to see the building including welding or seakeeping.So if I become a naval architect will I be able to do all those?
Your experiences and advices are very important to me.
Old 26 August 2011, 19:17   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
A warm welcome.

When RIBs were first conceived it was a case of "less is more", building a boat that was strong and capable yet smaller and lighter. A vessel for most weathers, using less power and offering greater safety.

The lines are still being re-drawn and designers and builders are doing some amazing things, so good luck to you and keep your eyes open.
Old 26 August 2011, 19:43   #3

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Sell. A rib is a small boat that can do a big boats job. I have been involved with the design and build of all types of boats for over 40 years and this year I decided to harness all my knowledge and build a Superboat. It is well in build and is breaking all the rules. Boat owners that don't go to sea will say it won't work and people who are regularly in deep ocean will say why hasn't this been done before. Follow your dreams and remember the words of the great Sir Alec Rose " if you believe you can, you can"
Full details of my boat are on www.circumnavigationrecord.com Alan P
Old 26 August 2011, 19:51   #4

Town: Traverse city
Make: Formenti ZAR 53
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy View Post
Sell. A rib is a small boat that can do a big boats job. I have been involved with the design and build of all types of boats for over 40 years and this year I decided to harness all my knowledge and build a Superboat. It is well in build and is breaking all the rules. Boat owners that don't go to sea will say it won't work and people who are regularly in deep ocean will say why hasn't this been done before. Follow your dreams and remember the words of the great Sir Alec Rose " if you believe you can, you can"
Full details of my boat are on www.circumnavigationrecord.com Alan P
What CAD program did you use to model the craft? I have actually built/designed a RIB using autocad inventor and am very pleased with it due to the fact I taught myself everything and am only a kid in highschool, however it became evident inventor wasn't the best to do a boat in