Old 16 April 2007, 12:36   #1
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
RIB for long distance haul

OK so picture the scenario, you have a budget of £40-45k, and you want a diesel RIB that's capable of cruising around the west Irish coast (7.5m+), with a long range

The requirments are:

Engine must be diesel
Must be able to hold 4 crew comfortably (Maybe even backrests standing instead of jockey seating)
Must be capable of 45knots
Fuel range must be at LEAST 250miles (Could do a DIY and fit a portable tank on the deck)

What would you choose? Obviously I would not be buying new, but something less than 5 years old would be nice.

I see a few of the bigger RIB's are equipped with Yanmar engines - Anyone care to comment on these? Good/bad?

They seem to be coupled with Bravo III drives - I've heard some not-so-nice stories here. Anyone again care to comment?

Suggestions people!!
Old 16 April 2007, 12:46   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Redbay or Scorpion IMHO are the thing. Might need to have a bigger boat than 7.5m to support the diesel - typical Scorp diesel is likely to be 8.5m for example.

Fuel range of 250nm shouldn't be a problem. 45kts top end might be, but for distance cruising its the sustained comfortable cruising speed that is important. For example maintaining 30-35kts just eats up the distance. Having to back off to 20-25 makes journeys that much longer.

Yanmar 300's and Bravo III's? Lots of problems reported, do a search of the forums. IMHO problems are more likely on a 'heavier' RIB with this combo but failures are seen on all. At the very least make sure that the drive is a Bravo 3'X' and has a drive shower fitted. Don't believe that the same sort of problems are encountered with Yanmar 250's and B3's.

Yamaha 240/hydradrive seems to have a better rep. and is fitted to Redbays often.
Old 16 April 2007, 12:50   #3
alt

Thanks for the quick reply Alan.
A big Scorpion seems to be a popular result alright.

Been doing a bit of searching, those Bravo 3's don't sound too nice, possibly from over-stressing? Will continue to search.

More suggestions people!!
Old 16 April 2007, 13:18   #4

Town: Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Alan.
A big Scorpion seems to be a popular result alright.

Been doing a bit of searching, those Bravo 3's don't sound too nice, possibly from over-stressing? Will continue to search.

More suggestions people!!
I've heard that some of the problems on B3(X) and Yanmar 300's are due to misallignment of engine/drive. Certainly, a RIB through it's use is going to put more stresses on a drive system than your average cruiser. This is perhaps why there are more reported failures on RIBs than hardboats. (Although I do recall Sealine or someone similar refitting a bunch of Yanmar powered boats with Volvo diesels/drives.)

I'd certainly approach a 300/B3X combination with a degree of caution. But then I've been aboard a RIB when the drive has failed. Off The Hebrides. And round the backside of the Isle of Wight. In both cases there were other boats around to provide assistance. I'd be less happy if I were somewhere out there on my own and it happened.
Old 16 April 2007, 14:51   #5

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
OK so picture the scenario, you have a budget of £40-45k, and you want a diesel RIB that's capable of cruising around the west Irish coast (7.5m+), with a long range

The requirments are:

Engine must be diesel
Must be able to hold 4 crew comfortably (Maybe even backrests standing instead of jockey seating)
Must be capable of 45knots
Fuel range must be at LEAST 250miles (Could do a DIY and fit a portable tank on the deck)

What would you choose? Obviously I would not be buying new, but something less than 5 years old would be nice.

I see a few of the bigger RIB's are equipped with Yanmar engines - Anyone care to comment on these? Good/bad?

They seem to be coupled with Bravo III drives - I've heard some not-so-nice stories here. Anyone again care to comment?

Suggestions people!!
Redbay 8.4m, Canopy to protect you from the elements and you can remove it for when its good. Yamaha inboard diesel, very reliable with no electronics, Hydra drive leg.
cheers
Andy
Old 16 April 2007, 15:30   #6

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Agree with Andy

Hi
The Redbay is the best (in my opinion) for the requested activity.
It is unlikely, however, to cruise at 45Knots.
As a cruising boat I would anticipate a 30-33Knot cruising speed with perhaps 38 top end.

The Scorpion would perhaps be the better 'faster boat' if speed factors higher than protection.
I have a Redbay on order...having made the balance of judgement
Paul
Old 16 April 2007, 15:48   #7

Town: West Sussex
When do you want this rib for? My demo Parker 750RS with CMD 320 HP and Bravo 1 drive will be up for sale in September. The fuel tank has a capacity of 220 ltr , good crusing speed of 38 knots. Max speed 49 knots
The console is quite high and gives perfect protection. You cannot even feel the head on wind. It is a very dry boat which gives a soft ride.
This rib known as Seahawk IV will be at Ribex
Old 16 April 2007, 15:53   #8

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
MMSI: Who?
I'd back Andre's comments up alt.

Seen it in heavy seas on many occations and is a very capable RIB with plenty of power.

The RS hull has a great soft landing too.

Leaves my Vipermax standing!!!

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2007, 16:57   #9
alt

Andre - I need the boat for this summer. I want a boat that is capable of long distance cruising but could handle a bit of a swell at the same time. Open deck layout, storage aint too important, i'd prefer an open deck as opposed to seating to the bow
Old 16 April 2007, 18:24   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Not sure yet:-)
Make: Revenger.
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard/Petrol/625hp
H Alt,you should consider a Revenger amongst others,the build quality and hull strength are beyond reproach,Fjordrafting & Searafting in Norway really put them through their paces day in & day out,do a search for posts from these two companies & decide for yourself,I believe Revenger have an ex demo 29ft non stepped Yanmar powered rib with a Bravo 3 for sale at the moment,it should do 48 knots with the range you require as well.Give Phil a call at Revenger on 01489 572404.Hope this helps & good luck with your search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Revenger 29 in Norway.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	26202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Revenger 29 diesel..jpg
Views:	1626
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	26203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Revenger 29 with Yanmar diesel..jpg
Views:	852
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	26204  
Gordon McMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2007, 19:02   #11
alt

Gordon - I'd be after more of a high jockey seating layout, something like what's in the first picture. Will keep them in mind!
Old 16 April 2007, 19:26   #12

Town: West Sussex
Quote:
Andre - I need the boat for this summer. I want a boat that is capable of long distance cruising but could handle a bit of a swell at the same time. Open deck layout, storage aint too important, i'd prefer an open deck as opposed to seating to the bow

Seahawk IV will not be available for sale in the summer . as for the seating then you have 4 persons on jockey seats and the console front seat is not really for any bad weather only a leisure ride.

I hope you find the right rib
Old 16 April 2007, 20:26   #13

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Visit Redbay

Alt

I am very familliar with the conditions on the west coast and am on my second redbay. I have looked at most of the others including scorpion and have to go for Redbay on basis of Build quality, sea keeping, back up service, ride comfort and price.

Visit Redbay and see for yourself.

Visit on May 5th which is one of their big get togethers for owners and hear what the users have to say.

Rgds
Old 16 April 2007, 21:46   #14
alt

Hi Ez,
Experiences of Redbay are that they won't be fast enough for my needs, although I do agree they are mighty comfortable RIB's
Old 16 April 2007, 22:19   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
... cruising around the west Irish coast (7.5m+), ...
... Must be capable of 45knots ...
Not sure why you need such a high top speed? How often are you likely to be able to sit at that speed in the Atlantic swell?
Old 16 April 2007, 22:23   #16
alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Not sure why you need such a high top speed? How often are you likely to be able to sit at that speed in the Atlantic swell?
Hi Polwart,
I will explain all after i've actually bought a suitable RIB...All will make sense!

I want to be able to cruise at around 35knots comfortably, and a top end of around 42-45knots
Old 16 April 2007, 22:31   #17
Administrator

Town: Brighton
The combination of top speed and budget is going to narrow your choices a lot. You're probably looking at twin engines if you really want that speed. If you can drop your speed requirement a bit then there are rather more choices, alternatively you may need to up your budget quite a lot!

If you could live with a 40 knot top speed then an 8.5 metre Scorpion with a 300 Yanmar should do the job, or a similar size Ribtec if you can find one, or a Ribcraft. I think a similarly specced Redbay would probably do that sort of speed too. If you want to keep clear of the Yanmar then you might get away with a 240hp Yamaha in a 7.5 metre boat (I had the 165 in a 7.5m Ribtec and its max speed was 35kt).

Here's one that might just do the job though (its a few knots off, but well within budget): http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17867

Good luck!
John
Old 16 April 2007, 22:31   #18

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Top speed

Alt

My top speed is 44 knots in testing. that is before we have the engine run in and before we start to play around with props. My last Redbay, a 6.5m could comfortably do 46 knots. We are confident we could get an extra 2 knots by lifting the engine another hole and another two knots with a different prop choice and having run in the engine.

rgds
Old 16 April 2007, 22:35   #19
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
I want to be able to cruise at around 35knots comfortably
Then I would suggest 8.5m as an absolute minimum, with 9 or 9.5 being preferable. Which of course makes the top speed more of a challenge . . .

John
Old 16 April 2007, 22:40   #20
alt

I love this place, so lively!

I have found a few nice RIB's online within hours of searching. I'm guessing for my cruising needs I will be looking at a 8.5+

I am going to contact Redbay in the morning and see if I can pop up for a look at what they have up in the yard. The only way to find out speeds for sure is to try one on the water.

I guess it's the wrong time of the year to be buying, I pretty much need to have this boat in the next 4-5 weeks

Keep the suggestions coming!