Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Impressive
my mate drives one of this manufacturers boats. Hes a harbour master. Search frankwildcat on youtube. smart kit
Old 08 December 2015, 21:06   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Impressive
pfffft!

Helps when you have an isolated breaking rock outside your back door. That said, I'm not surprised that Frank is targeting third world markets with faux-stealth designs...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pilot2.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	109981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Helm.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	109982  
Old 08 December 2015, 21:10   #24

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Oops

Old 08 December 2015, 21:26   #25

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I think if you follow the comment on YouTube and the remark in the video about his leg then the two had a coming together before the video starts and so it's understandable if she was more concerned for him than her vessel at that moment.
I still have the scar from my last encounter as a windsurfer with an inexperienced power boater..............

The rib looks quite small but i cant help thinking a bit of body weight and throttle would have gone along way to keeping it upright,however as for the surfer i can sympathize.......
Old 09 December 2015, 07:34   #26

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
pfffft!

Helps when you have an isolated breaking rock outside your back door. That said, I'm not surprised that Frank is targeting third world markets with faux-stealth designs...

A friend of mine has a Safehaven wildcat as a dive boat. He had it built to his spec from new. The quality is questionable, the wiring was appalling in places, caused many breakdowns, engine faults. The steelwork was poor & the grp finish left much to be desired. He spent the thick end of £500.000 on it. The instruments on the fly bridge hadn't been sealed to the console allowing water to run down into the cabin roof space. I lost count of how many windscreen wiper motors we changed.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 December 2015, 08:48   #27

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
MMSI: 235101591
About fifteen years ago I went to help a windsurfer whose mast had snapped. He was really, really fat and I didn't know whether to drag him over the tubes or harpoon him.
Old 09 December 2015, 09:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
About fifteen years ago I went to help a windsurfer whose mast had snapped. He was really, really fat and I didn't know whether to drag him over the tubes or harpoon him.
Not your normal type of windsurfer then as you usually need a certain amount of fitness and body weight for buoyancy on those boards. You really need to be careful assisting anyone in conditions you can further endanger theirs or your own life.
Old 09 December 2015, 13:50   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Not your normal type of windsurfer then as you usually need a certain amount of fitness and body weight for buoyancy on those boards. You really need to be careful assisting anyone in conditions you can further endanger theirs or your own life.
Yep. Not just the prop but making sure the boat doesn't drift over them.
Old 10 December 2015, 12:54   #30

So what we learnt from the original video was that the boat driver must of already attempted some sort of rescue as the person in the water mentioned his leg had been sort of crushed.

The driver (skipper) from what we saw seemed to be oblivious to the sets of waves and how his boat was positioned to meet them.

From a couple of videos we can see the extreme buoyancy of ribs can also be the Hercules heel when caught side on when the waves become big enough.

What to do to help.?....just my view

If the guy in the water was asking for help I would asses the conditions and water depth. The guy looked very close to shore so should of been able to get back on his own.

If drifting offshore I would check the conditions then position my boat so that I could come alongside with my bow facing into the oncoming waves. I would instruct the person he was to come onboard assisting him with the engine off or at least out of gear.

Once onboard both people could then either lift the windsurfer board onto the boat or tow into deeper water with less breaking waves to sort the board.

The best thing to of done would be call the local marine rescue group and just stand by if they need assistance. Having once been part of a volunteer rescue group we loved getting any calls to go out and help (made life more fun than rescue practice).

Any other ideas (it may help someone making the same mistake)?

Jon
Old 10 December 2015, 14:40   #31

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
......... also be the Hercules heel........

Aye that's what happens when you've got the weight of the world on your shoulders😄
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2015, 15:22   #32

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Aye that's what happens when you've got the weight of the world on your shoulders😄

You a cruel man PD.......

We all all know you are not likely to see a chilly seal in Australian waters.........!

I must say that it surprised me just how easily that rib that turned over . We could all learn from that .
Old 10 December 2015, 15:40   #33
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
to see a chilly seal in Australian waters.........!
Yer both a pair of bad rips
Old 10 December 2015, 16:01   #34
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
What to do to help.?....just my view

If the guy in the water was asking for help I would asses the conditions and water depth. The guy looked very close to shore so should of been able to get back on his own.
The best thing to of done would be call the local marine rescue group and just stand by if they need assistance. Having once been part of a volunteer rescue group we loved getting any calls to go out and help (made life more fun than rescue practice).

If she was just a passer by then I think your suggestions are reasonable, however I assume he was being coached or supervised by her (is he not actually starting his board from sitting on the rib tube at the start?) in which case I think calling the Coastguard is not a sensible step - although knowing when a safety boat job has become a professional rescue is probably one of the challenges. Her boat positioning was wrong, but I think if you are going to do coaching / safety work in the surf line on a very small boat its probably a fact of life that you will from time to time end up the wrong way up.
Old 10 December 2015, 16:12   #35

Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Length: 7m +
Quote:
pfffft!

I like the camera in the engine bay looey
Old 10 December 2015, 16:17   #36

Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Length: 7m +
Quote:
pfffft!

And why we are on the subject,those cameroon'z would come over on a front kin DOOR:flow ers:
Old 10 December 2015, 20:04   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
Wasn't me (never had a mast snap) but thank you for going to their assistance.

I am sure karma will repay you.
Old 10 December 2015, 20:21   #38

Quote:
Once onboard both people could then either lift the windsurfer board onto the boat or tow into deeper water with less breaking waves to sort the board.

Jon
I'm trying to remember the official recovery method, I think it is sail Across the bow, mast forward, with the surfer if able holding it ( sat on bow facing console?) , board along side in the water ( looks like he was on a short wave board, these are low buoyancy) or you de rig and roll sail up around mast and strap it to the board by the footstraps (harder with modern battened sails especially cam sails)
Old 11 December 2015, 06:22   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
...however I assume he was being coached or supervised by her...
Looking at the link you posted earlier, Poly, its a community not-for profit training organisation with the aim of brining back Colwyn Bay to a seaside destination. This sort of publicity probably won't help progress towards that goal.
Old 25 December 2015, 20:53   #40

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Lucky Heather 3
Make: Spearfish
Engine: Small!
RIBase
I've spent 31 years surfing all over the world and it really does give you a good understanding of how the ocean moves. I'd recommend checking out www.windguru.cz to check on the swell state. Waves under a 10 second period will be close together and choppy and waves over 10 seconds and become more organised will longer lulls in-between sets. Swell directing also plays a big part. Best advice I've always worked to is never turn your back to the surf :-)

Tags
rib