Old 07 July 2004, 04:15   #11

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Boat name: La Bamba
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: F100 Yam / 5Hp Suz
Insurance implications ?

Tim,
I'm sure that there are much more qualified folk than me on the Forum on this angle but shouldn't you be making some enquiries about Insurance ( seaworthyness and third party liabilities ) before you really do launch out on this project ?

Old 07 July 2004, 05:12   #12
Trade member

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Tim what is your budget for the build overall ,good idea to talk to insurers first, as some home builds will not get insured unless its been built from plans that are approved also the boat will have to be surveyed before you get insurance, then see how things go , there is someone on ribnet who supplies plans for ribs might be worth talking to him first, as some projects eat up time and money and it would have been quicker to buy second hand
regards tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 08 July 2004, 13:45   #13

Town: I.O.W/Bristol
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 70hp Tohatsu
Thanks agin for your useful comments guys.

Jwalker, excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by don't use bulkhead if attached to the running surface (I assume the running surface is the hull skin?)? I would glass in some plywood or foam supports I guess. Maybe 5 or 6 running across the width and a couple running the length of the hull.

The insurance issue is a very good point, I will have to check that. Good job you mentioned it Bern, thanks.

Madmat, I have a fair knowledge of structure etc (although not specifically for boats) as I am studying mechanical engineering at Southampton Uni. I have done a load of research about boat building and design and the like and have some very useful people I can contact...including an American guy who actually helped design the planing hull! Despite this I am obviously still looking for as much help as possible so please keep making suggestions! Thanks also for the book links.

Finally, Tim, I am very interested in this person you mention who supplies RIB plans. Who is he and how do I contact him?!

Any more comments?

Thanks again.

Tim
Old 08 July 2004, 14:43   #14
Trade member

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Naked Dave (just realised you are a caulkhead)
regards tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 08 July 2004, 15:30   #15

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
This is only my opinion, you understand. I reckon hulls flex a surprising amount when under load.

Go for heavy longitudinals and have the floor brace them transversely.

Pic a bit exaggerated for clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bent hull x500.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	6870  
Old 08 July 2004, 16:30   #16

haha! thanks jwalker, nice pic! the wonders of ms paint! such a great boat design resource. I was planning on using lots of stiffeners and bolting/gluing the floor down to produce a very stiff monoque structure to help eliminate the what is shown in your pic.

Tim, I am indeed a fellow islander. There seems to be quite a few on this forum. Naked Dave, hhmmm, I assume this is the man with the plans? Thanks!

I would also like some help and guidance with regards to how many layers, the weight and the type of glass matt I should use if were to produce the hull from GRP. I am unsure how much thickness is given by different types and weight of cloth. Anyone shed any light?

Cheers

Tim
Old 08 July 2004, 17:03   #17

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Engine: Inboard diesel
Are you willing to tell us your budget?
Had a quick look on boatsandoutboards and there are a couple of good project ribs on there, both under 2k.
http://www.boatsandoutboards.com/view/BEM208/
http://www.boatsandoutboards.com/view/F38425/ - prefer that one my self.

(Southampton uni hey.... I shall be applying there this year. Do you recommend it?)
Old 08 July 2004, 17:30   #18

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Marlin
Make: PBS humber 5.5
Engine: 115 optimax!!
tim,

As you're in s'oton, see if you can visit southampton institute of H.E. I was on a BEng (yacht and powercraft design) and there are some very good rescources there, including Hull generation programs and a towing tank for model testing. Two power boat orientated people i remember who teach there are Ray Harvey (who has a company imaginatively called ray harvey design which design gin palaces and other power boats) and stuart Roy. These people are very helpful if you can get hold of them. There are others there who also know their stuff if these two aren't available as it was 1998 when i left. Relationships are pretty good between the uni and institute, so if you plead poor student, you might get this stuff for free, even if not there is plenty of eye candy to pass the time

good luck

colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim
Thanks agin for your useful comments guys.

Jwalker, excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by don't use bulkhead if attached to the running surface (I assume the running surface is the hull skin?)? I would glass in some plywood or foam supports I guess. Maybe 5 or 6 running across the width and a couple running the length of the hull.

The insurance issue is a very good point, I will have to check that. Good job you mentioned it Bern, thanks.

Madmat, I have a fair knowledge of structure etc (although not specifically for boats) as I am studying mechanical engineering at Southampton Uni. I have done a load of research about boat building and design and the like and have some very useful people I can contact...including an American guy who actually helped design the planing hull! Despite this I am obviously still looking for as much help as possible so please keep making suggestions! Thanks also for the book links.

Finally, Tim, I am very interested in this person you mention who supplies RIB plans. Who is he and how do I contact him?!

Any more comments?

Thanks again.

Tim
Old 08 July 2004, 19:01   #19

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim
...nice pic! the wonders of ms paint!
Nope. A thick pencil.

Quote:
...to help eliminate the what is shown in your pic.
Back to front thinking, I reckon. Don't create it and you won't have to work to eliminate it.
Old 09 July 2004, 19:19   #20

Hey guys,

Once again thanks for the comments.

Ribnwheels, thanks for that info, may well get in touch with some of those people/ Im sure there are some people who could help me at the Uni as well.

timofengland, My budget is not a lot! I don't really have a figure and I'm not completely sure how much it would cost but I have had a rough quote for a tube of 1300 and thought maybe another grand for the basic hull? Bit of a guess cos I don't know how many layers of glass I need. The cost of consoles, engine and all other bits will then be spread out over the next year or so not too much of a problem. I reckon 1500-2000 for an engine (get quite an old one probably), 500ish for a trailer.

Oh and Soton uni is good. Depends what you are doing though I guess. will you be there in the acedemic year of 04/05?

I am in the process of trying to contact Naked Dave, the guy who has some kind of business making kit ribs, not sure of the dtails yet though.

Thanks again for the help.

Tim