RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
the customer gets what he wants, the hard bit is doing it for the price he wants to pay.
Crikey biffer - you get to "play" with boats all day and you want to make a profit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryrun
Is this "pick on Boris day"? I think I see where he's going with this.
Do we need a special day? Actually your points are potentially much most helpful and could be in a thread titled "Speccing a bespoke rib - things you might not think to ask for"... Some of Boris' points might belong their too - but others are simply personal taste.
Old 29 April 2015, 19:19   #22
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
That's a nice idea.

jky
It's a genius idea!
Old 29 April 2015, 20:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
It's a genius idea!
Think you might need a poly review on the physics. I don't think it works in theory...

Floating the trunk end to the surface presumably just means the tube is at the surface not above the surface. So the physics in my head says it will still run down the trunk to the inside of the boat provided the ransom hole is below the waterline... ?
Old 29 April 2015, 21:08   #24
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I THINK what'll happen is that a 5mm neoprene sleeve will hold the trunk open, letting the boat fill up.

It's worth experimenting with something that'll float on the underside of the trunk though.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2015, 21:30   #25

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
or just remember to lift it when you stop?

Plan B: it's a good excuse to go for another burn to empty your hull.......
Old 02 May 2015, 06:13   #26

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I THINK what'll happen is that a 5mm neoprene sleeve will hold the trunk open, letting the boat fill up.

It's worth experimenting with something that'll float on the underside of the trunk though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Think you might need a poly review on the physics. I don't think it works in theory...

Floating the trunk end to the surface presumably just means the tube is at the surface not above the surface. So the physics in my head says it will still run down the trunk to the inside of the boat provided the ransom hole is below the waterline... ?
Either both of these comments are right or neither of them are.

If it has sufficient buoyancy for the end to break surface (I think the sleeve would have to be about a foot long) the water left in the trunk would drain back into the boat and the surrounding water pressure would force it closed, maybe a couple of strategic cuts each side of the sleeve............however there's only one way to find out.
Old 02 May 2015, 07:12   #27

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post

If it has sufficient buoyancy for the end to break surface (I think the sleeve would have to be about a foot long) the water left in the trunk would drain back into the boat and the surrounding water pressure would force it closed, maybe a couple of strategic cuts each side of the sleeve............however there's only one way to find out.
It's basically a Duck Bill Valve which is the principle that self bailers/elephants trunk works on. The length of the bit of rope is critical, too long & the bailer won't open correctly a low speeds, too short & it will hold open & allow water back into the boat. Slitting the end might not be a bad call.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2015, 08:06   #28
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
No, unfortunately. Splashback/wave slap from the transom in anything other than flat calm would keep splashing water into an open trunk, even if the end was fractionally above the surface.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2015, 17:11   #29

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
OK guys having read the posts I think I should give you my input. Firstly I do not agree with the saying " tips for the manufacturer" . How many of you have actually purchased a bespoke rib and how many of you a secondhand one from a dealer or owner. When I say bespoke I mean to sit next to the salesman and you discuss / agree a specification of course he has an idea of your budget. Buying a bespoke rib it is like going to the car showroom and buying a brand new car but not one he has on display but a car say yet to be made or a one he will find for you which will meet your budget and requirements.

I have sat down many times with serious buyers especially commercial ones and have jointly agreed a specification. What you do not specify / agree you do not get.
A typical example of such from joint cooperation you will be able to see this year on our berth at Seawork , that is of course if you are there.

Just to summarise if you are an experience ribster you will know exactly what you want and the salesman will only confirm that such is available or say sorry we do not do that.

A good salesman learns from feedback a good ribster learns from experience.
Old 02 May 2015, 17:52   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
OK guys having read the posts I think I should give you my input. Firstly I do not agree with the saying " tips for the manufacturer" . How many of you have actually purchased a bespoke rib and how many of you a secondhand one from a dealer or owner. When I say bespoke I mean to sit next to the salesman and you discuss / agree a specification of course he has an idea of your budget. Buying a bespoke rib it is like going to the car showroom
Yip never an experience I've felt I got 100% what I wanted for the price I wanted. ...

"Can I have rear parking sensors?"
"Erm. Not on the economy super budget cheapo model you picked as a base. You can add them to the next model up for a fee or they are included in the 'ultimate' model for 'free'"
"Why can't I have them on the cheapo model?"
"Well technically you probably could but they cost £2000 on that model or £500 on the next model up and the next model up is £1500 more so you just buy the next model up"
"OK forget the parking sensors. How much is a factory fitted tow bar?"
"Factory doesn't fit towbars. We cab get that done for you before you collect it if you want."
"OK how much is that?"
"We would need to check. We don't actually fit it we take it to xxx trailer centre to be done"
... Later find out it will cost £450 and add two weeks to delivery schedule ...
Same trailer centre fits for me for £300 in half a day with 2 days notice.

That is for the stuff I know to ask for. Get car home and discover the on board computer doesn't display fuel consumption. Call up to check why.. "That's coz u bought the cheapo model"

But how did I know every detail to ask about when speccing my boat/car. I expect the car guy / boat guy to tell me the detail. The designer / builder to just do / add things that make everyone's life easier rather than saying... "We could have done that if you asked. "

Quote:
What you do not specify / agree you do not get.
But that's the point. You get things you might not spec because its standard way a good builder does it. Another builder cuts a corner and doesn't give it.

I currently have builders in at work. We provided a spec. They understood what we wanted and are delivering that spec but every now and then they appear with a suggestion to make our lives easier. Not in spec. No extra charge. They just have a choice of ways to finish things and will let us have the easier solution....
Quote:
A typical example of such from joint cooperation you will be able to see this year on our berth at Seawork
But that tells me you CAN build a good boat. It doesn't tell me you ALWAYS build the boat the customer thought they asked for. Also until you take it out and test it for weeks you won't know if there is something annoying that 'wasn't in the specification'

I might buy a boat once every few years. You guys must build/sell a boat every few days... I'm not convinced most builders are sitting down with customers to give tune the build by asking them about things they won't have thought of. Not bought a Parker so wouldn't know...

Quote:
...salesman will only confirm that such is available or say sorry we do not do that.
Again may depend on the salesman. The thread kicked off re under deck trunking I think. So if your standard trunk is 4" and customer says could that be 6" there are three choices for the salesman. Say no we don't do that (=no other annoying customer has asked for than and the training days didn't mention it), say sure we can do anything you want, say he needs to check with the builders/design/boss/anyone else he can blame for the price going up and the delivery schedule being extended so he can try and flog the standard solution... Which will be generally all round easier for everyone.

Quote:
A good salesman learns from feedback
u just got some and dissed it - doh -
Quote:
a good ribster learns from experience.
ERM this thread is them sharing that...
Old 02 May 2015, 18:33   #31

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
I guess we have both made a point and if you even get to the stage of buying a bespoke rib and I am still around give me a call.

Tags
rib