Old 02 August 2005, 11:25   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
RIB Crash - Skipper gets 4 months

The article is not clear about what law this guy broke, however the courts obviously saw him as skipper totally responsible for his passengers and the damage the crash did to them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/4736363.stm

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2005, 20:10   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shaken Blue
Make: ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: outbord petrol
Send a message via MSN to hannah
another simular inccident , last cowes week , man crashes in to buoy on way back from cowes fireworks ,he has just been sentenced to prison
Old 03 August 2005, 06:26   #3

Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah
another simular inccident , last cowes week , man crashes in to buoy on way back from cowes fireworks ,he has just been sentenced to prison
It's the same person!
Old 03 August 2005, 10:38   #4

Boat name: Shaken Blue
Make: ribcraft
Engine: outbord petrol
Send a message via MSN to hannah
i wasnt sure , if it was or not , sorry
Old 03 August 2005, 11:57   #5

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
There's no logic to the laws in this country:- any Tom Dick or Harry can buy a boat and tear arse on the water as much as he likes but if he hits a buoy he gets 4 months jail. Yet To take a car on the roads (legally) you have to have a licence, MOT, Road Tax, Insurance you can drive into a tree and nothing happens maybe lose your no claims discount you could even do it several times over the alcohol limit and still get away without jail, Maybe if you killed somebody as well as being drunk you may get 4 months jail
Old 03 August 2005, 12:31   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton
There's no logic to the laws in this country:- any Tom Dick or Harry can buy a boat and tear arse on the water as much as he likes but if he hits a buoy he gets 4 months jail. Yet To take a car on the roads (legally) you have to have a licence, MOT, Road Tax, Insurance you can drive into a tree and nothing happens maybe lose your no claims discount you could even do it several times over the alcohol limit and still get away without jail, Maybe if you killed somebody as well as being drunk you may get 4 months jail
I suspect if you drove into a tree at 35mph in the dark with no lights and injured several people you'd also end up in jail...

I guess the best lesson here is "Don't be a dickhead and use some common sense when you're out."

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2005, 13:13   #7

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
I suspect if you drove into a tree at 35mph in the dark with no lights and injured several people you'd also end up in jail...
I don't know about the UK, but if happened in Canada you can be sure that he would have been thrown in jail, whether he was drunk or sober. No doubt some liberal types (who detest the concept of individual responsibility), would scream that it is the fault of the road system administration for not installing a light on every tree trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
I guess the best lesson here is "Don't be a dickhead and use some common sense when you're out."
Exactly. This incident was discussed here a month or two ago shortly after it happened. It is very fortune that no one was killed. If he had been, he would have been an instant Darwin Award hall of famer.

Here is the link to an earlier thread about this incident:

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10318
Old 03 August 2005, 13:41   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I seem to remember being condemmned for making comments on this subject last time.........
Old 03 August 2005, 15:16   #9

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I seem to remember being condemmned for making comments on this subject last time.........
It' s what RIBNET's for isn't it being condemned
Old 03 August 2005, 15:56   #10

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
Running into a buoy at night, things spring to mind like, but not limited to

1) Passage plan, e.g to miss such things and checking where you are
2) Safe speed
3) If you are not sure then stop and find out where you are

a bit of basic care, at 30 knots in the dark is quite fast and needs skill, well i think it does anyway
Old 03 August 2005, 17:05   #11

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton

Freds absolutely correct here, its not the fact that he actually managed to hit the bouy that really is at issue, after all we can spend loads of time debating why, how and what really happend to our hearts content and still be going around in circles. As Freds quite rightly stated, where is the law or rules when people buy and launch these boats in the first place.? So just imagine an ideal world where any new boat user had to have a licenense and insurance to use a boat, this dick then with the proper training might not have hit the bouy in the first place !

So ask yourself the question.... who's fault is it really, the guy who hit the bouy or the lack of policy governing the use of powered water craft in this country, one might actually argue that he was in fact actually a victim !
Old 03 August 2005, 17:07   #12
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
So ask yourself the question.... who's fault is it really, the guy who hit the bouy or the lack of policy governing the use of powered water craft in this country, one might actually argue that he was in fact actually a victim !
What makes you think that he was inexperienced and unqualified?

John
Old 03 August 2005, 17:16   #13
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Surely simple common sense applies here? 30 knots in the dark anywhere near land is just plain idiotic.

Training and licencing really isn't a substitute for common sense. Get into your car and watch the way people with licences drive.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2005, 17:19   #14

Boat name: RocknRoller
Make: Revenger
Engine: 150 Yamaha
I think he has got plenty of experience with ribs as he runs a maintanance shop for ribs zapcats and boats like that. If you go and see the bouy that he hit its i would say its not exactly his fualt they are massive great thing and are unlit and placed just nxt to the shipping channle i hav been out at dark coming up there before and they are so hard to see
Old 03 August 2005, 18:37   #15

Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdavis
IIf you go and see the bouy that he hit its i would say its not exactly his fualt they are massive great thing and are unlit and placed just nxt to the shipping channle i hav been out at dark coming up there before and they are so hard to see
Those bouys are clearley marked on the chart, they have been there for a long time. The individual concerned is a "local boy". It all comes down to basics - safe speed and proper preparation. There are plenty of unlit bouys in the Solent - Advanced students have to find them in the dark. For example, Moorhead is unlit and it's much smaller than the MOD mooring bouys. It does not take a "A" student to work out why the 15 knot speed limit has been imposed on Friday night - but there will still be idiots out there.
Old 03 August 2005, 20:39   #16

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Can I opine, for those who have not done it before, even 15k is quite fast given the raft of inexpereinced people out on the water after the Fireworks. Evidence the amazing scenes after the fireworks on the IFR day.

My view is - 1) moor so you you are on or close to the edge of the spectators
2) leave as soon as it ends
3) at least 3 adults looking out as well as the helm
4) 10 knots
5) watch the plotter closely

If anyone would like to meet up, we will be in West Cowes just off the shore. Will listen out on ch 77. Happy go in convoy back westward afterwards.
Old 03 August 2005, 20:44   #17

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Watching the plotter will bugger your night vision ... unless you do it with 1 eye shut!

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2005, 20:50   #18

MMSI: Nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdavis
i hav been out at dark coming up there before and they are so hard to see

Old 03 August 2005, 22:10   #19

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Quite often poodle along at 25-30knts in the dark on my way back from the other islands. We must be lucky here as most if not all of our bouys are lit at night.

I have to agree though, even with the plotter turned right down it can stuff up your night vision.

Even having your all round white light too close can have quite a severe effect on the old eyes. Never liked having console mounted nav lights just for that reason.

Edit: Forgot to mention the bloke must've been a real pratt being local and straying too close to the channel markers. If you ain't sure then slow right down, re-assess, then continue. If your freuqently unsure then don't do it!
Old 03 August 2005, 22:29   #20

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat

It really comes down to one's worldview.

If one is a collectivist utopian, then one would desire greater big brother involvement with increased regulations licensing fees, loss of individual freedoms etc... This reasoning would suggest that even if it saves just one life somewhere somehow, it will justify any expense any loss of individual freedoms.

The other view is that individuals been given free will and there each individual is responsible for his choices & actions. When poor choices end up hurting others, that individual needs to be held accountable for it.

What this guy did was astoundingly stupid. He might generally be an intelligent person, but even very bright people are capable of doing extremely stupid things. I am not judging the person, but the choice/action he took.