Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
RIB Cover

Hello all

I’m considering making my own cover for the RIB, the existing one only covers the console and seats so doesn’t stop it filling up with rain, leaves, dead birds, stray cats etc.

Question is, what should I make it from?

I’ve measured it up and figured out the shape, ideally I’d like to come up with a material I can Glue rather than sew. My friendly upholsterer has offered to sew it up to my pattern but I’d rather keep the cost down.

I’ll include ventilation flaps etc, so breathe-ability of the main area is not an issue, although the bits that wrap around the tubes may need to be different.

Another thing I’d like opinions on, is over the A-frame or around the bottom of it?

I’m thinking of using a flap to go around the bottom of the legs and lower the overall height, reducing the chances of the wind tearing it to pieces. I can make a small cover to wrap around the various bits of kit atop the frame but don’t think it necessary.
However a cover that goes over the A-frame produces a large tent structure that aids ventilation and with a door flap in the back would allow access without the hassle of uncovering it each time, or even a cosy nest away from the wife!

Nasher.
Old 30 September 2004, 15:51   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
However a cover that goes over the A-frame produces a large tent structure that aids ventilation and with a door flap in the back would allow access without the hassle of uncovering it each time, or even a cosy nest away from the wife!

Nasher.
Plus this would also allow for the "little bit" of rain we tend to get run off rather than create a huge puddle.
Old 30 September 2004, 16:14   #3

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
My cover goes over the A frame and I have a webbing strap that runs from there to the bow. This forms a tent which keeps the boat very dry and as you said it also allows good nesting opportunities but there is not much head room.
I have pockets in the cover with broom handles in which also help to form the tent shape.
It’s tied down with miles of cord which was a mistake I should have used shot-cord because it would self adjust to a degree. Currently throughout the winter I have to re-tie the cords every few weeks.
Another thing I would do differently would be to have a ‘tent pole’ in the bow this would help to shed the water and given more space inside.
My one is made of PVC and is stitched, given a choice I would have had it HF welded, like lorry curtains, because it would be a better finish and possible cheaper.

Des
Old 07 October 2004, 13:22   #4

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Slightly after the original post.. just made a cover for my searider. the problem being, it had to be able to be fitted when in the marina.. anyway, 2 weeks later, after using one modified 4x5m tarp from b&q, some bungies, and a hot glue gun, i am hoping the finished product will keep the rain off.. (slight adjustments still needed to cable tie the bungies to the tarp).. if it doesn't, then it can be used as a template for something stronger.. total cost is about a tenner..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover1.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	8636   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover2.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	8637  
Old 07 October 2004, 13:50   #5

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Tony, I have one of the cheep B&Q tarps us it to go over the boat over winter!
Only lasted over one winter, then started to disintegrate!
I know have 2 over it, the old one over the top to keep the wurst of the weather & sun off the new one.
It will make a great template!
Nick
Old 07 October 2004, 15:01   #6

I shall pick up a decent tarp to make another one Nick.. saves layering up the b&q cheapies until i have 6 inches of cover on the boat..
Old 07 October 2004, 15:12   #7

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwozere
I shall pick up a decent tarp to make another one Nick.. saves layering up the b&q cheapies until i have 6 inches of cover on the boat..

I did get them at the same time I would not get anther!
Looks a very smart jog
Nick
Old 08 October 2004, 00:27   #8

Part of any credit must go to my wife.. Who kindly pointed out that under no circumstances was I spending 300ish on a made to measure cover.