Old 27 September 2004, 20:14   #21

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Steve, sorry to hear about all that crap. I would be p*ssed if I was in your position! Make sure you get your money back at the very least.

Ribald, we saw you cruise past outside Bembridge on sat. Ray and I were waiting in Bonza (6.5m yellow ring) and we exchanged a wave. I was out with you on the cowes classic day when Kevin launched you off the side of your RIB!

I had a great day too. Thanks everyone. Especially Ray who is a LEGEND . We managed to get a new top speed we think...55mph or there abouts and that was in a chop without trimming right out! Ray was driving at this point and I couldn't see anything! The rain was like needles, I could only just get one eye open to look at the speedo!

When we got back to Bembridge at 6:30 (low tide was at 2:20 so we thought we would easily be ok...something funny about those bembridge tides) there was not a lot of water. We hit the bottom coming in (doh) because all the channel boys seemed to be in the wrong place! One was even high and dry on the spit by about a metre! We then spent the next hour and a half (in the rain) punting the RIB across the mud edging frustratingly slowing towards the pontoon! Talk about 2 men in a boat, it must have looked quite funny from a passing car!

The tide would come in a little and we would edge a few inches forward (the pontoon was only a short stone throw away!). In between edging we would sit and have a chat. At one point I stuck my paddle in the mud, and turned around 2 minutes later to find it was well out of arms reach! aaaaaaaarrrrrggg! We punted and paddled until we got to the pontoon just before 8 I think (by which time it was dark!).

Great to meet you all and put faces to names (RIBnetters never look like you would expect..always a lot older hehehe!). My pics weren't great, not a nice day for it. I will post em anyway soon though.

Cheers

Tim
Old 06 October 2004, 17:29   #22

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Update?

Steve,

How are you getting on with trying to get a refund from the charter company? Any progress to report?
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2004, 06:55   #23

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Update

Hi Everyone, Hope your all OK!

Just a quick update to let people know what's going on really - If anyone's interested

The charter company are now being prosecuted and i have been asked to fill in a witness statement, I am the only witness that they have, so i hope i have done a good enough and he will plead guilty. If he dose not plead guilty then i will have a trip to Southampton and will have to appear in court. Still not had any luck with a refund, but i am still holding out for one.

On the up side, got quite a good refund from Virgin for the delayed train
Old 11 October 2004, 06:59   #24

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Hope it gets sorted soon. It has certainly caused you a lot of grief.

missus
Old 11 October 2004, 07:19   #25

Best of luck with it Steve. Hope you get your refund in the end.
Old 11 October 2004, 07:21   #26

RIBase
Thanks for all your support.

I’m more bothered about getting the cowboys shut down.
Old 08 February 2005, 11:46   #27

RIBase
Update

Hi Everyone,

Seems to be trading under a new name....

From: Rups@atlantic-web.com [mailto:rups@atlantic-web.com]
Sent: 28 December 2004 19:24
To: Hall.Stephen
Subject: Re: Weekend

Stephen,

As someone who enjoyed our rib events last year I would just like to mention this years developments. We have become the London Offshore Powerboat Club which is an RYA affiliated institution which has a number of boats on the hamble for its members to use.

for more details of the seasons up and coming events please goto:

www.london-offshore.com

best wishes

Rups
Old 14 March 2005, 20:13   #28
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I have had a complaint from Atlantic Web that a couple of posts in this thread were offensive and in their view libellous.

I don't believe that they were in fact libellous, but they weren't as constructive as they might have been. As the wording that caused offence didn't actually contribute much to the story I have edited the posts concerned, having discussed the matter with the authors.

As a general note throughout the forums, please try to keep any criticism calm and polite (as indeed Steve has done throughout).

I understand that the prosecution is still pending. I'm sure we'll be hearing more about it in due course.

John
Old 30 June 2005, 12:11   #29

RIBase
finally over

Just a quick update for everyone, Its been 9 months and its all finally over, but still no refund.

Went well in court - Don't want to say to much on the public forum.
Old 30 June 2005, 12:26   #30

Hi Steve. Glad to hear things have gone well. Hope you get your refund soon!
Old 30 June 2005, 12:31   #31

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
You went about it all wrong - should have kept the boat!!! If they have things to hide i don't think they would have bothered taking you to court...........
Old 30 June 2005, 12:39   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHall
Went well in court - Don't want to say to much on the public forum.
If it's all over, then presumably the result is a matter of public record.

I'm sure that lots of people would be interested to hear the outcome, especially given the amount of recent discussion about properly coding and operating charter boats.

John
Old 30 June 2005, 12:58   #33

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
Steve sorry to here your bad experience,

As people have said it gives charters a bad name and there are many good ones...

I have spent loads on money getting the Boat to MCA coding and would not dream of letting it go out unless it was tip top.

I have not had any bad press to date, am i feel that if you have paid good money then you derseve a good and enjoyable time.
Old 30 June 2005, 13:22   #34

RIBase
The case went very well and I was supported well by the MCA and the local council - Big thanks to you all.

They have said that they will be doing a press release on this, as soon as I get a copy of this I will post it on here.

Also I would like to thank everyone on here for the support over the past few months.
Old 30 June 2005, 13:53   #35
Administrator

From the MCA web site

==================================================

EASTLEIGH BOROUGH COUNCIL PROSECUTE VESSEL OPERATING WITH SUSPENDED LICENCE IN SOLENT

Yesterday, Southampton Magistrates Court heard the case of Eastleigh Borough Council v Rupert Bonham-Smith. Mr Bonham-Smith of Passage Lane, Warsash, was found guilty of letting for hire his vessel, Spectre of Defeat, while it’s licence was under suspension, under Section 94 of the Public Health Acts (Amendment) Act. He was sentenced to a 6 month conditional discharge and £500 costs.

Mr Bonham-Smith received a Category 2 Local Authority licence allowing him to operate his vessel in the Solent in May 2004 with 10 persons on board including 1 crew. The licence was valid for 5 years. On the 29th June 2004 the licence was suspended by Eastleigh Borough Council following recommendation by both the Maritime and Coastguard Agency and The River Hamble Harbour Master as a result of their safety concerns.

On the weekend of 25th and 26th September 2004 Spectre of Defeat was chartered from Mr Bonham-Smith for £400 while the licence was still under suspension. Hamble River Patrol stopped him on the fuel berth and enquired if the charterer was aware that the vessel did not have a certificate. He was unaware of this fact and the man was then asked to provide his details and appeared as a witness for the prosecution in court yesterday.

Captain Amir Esmiley, Principal Surveyor with the MCA Marine Office says,

“This prosecution illustrates that unlicensed operators which are putting the public’s lives at risk on the water, will be prosecuted. It is an important and timely reminder for the public who may be considering getting afloat during the upcoming maritime festivities in the Solent area. If you are a paying passenger joining a chartered vessel ensure that it is properly certified. Valid certificates should always be held on board the vessels and if you have any doubts, contact the MCA 24 hour information line on 0870 6006505”

==================================================

Presumably a County Court claim for your refund will be next on the list Steve?

John
Old 30 June 2005, 14:17   #36

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco/index.jsp .....?
Old 30 June 2005, 15:40   #37

Make: Cougar
Length: 8.4
Engine: Honda 225hp 4 stroke
Saw him doing a charter last weekend at Yarmouth with a stag do, not a life jacket between them, no kill switch on- it amazes me how people behave and are above the law. But even more, why do these people go out on a boat and not ask about life jackets etc. Madness.
Is he still banned or has that been lifted then?
Old 30 June 2005, 16:18   #38

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy
Saw him doing a charter last weekend at Yarmouth with a stag do, not a life jacket between them, no kill switch on- it amazes me how people behave and are above the law. But even more, why do these people go out on a boat and not ask about life jackets etc. Madness.

Is he still banned or has that been lifted then?
I don't understand why people don't put lifejackets on, I wear my compact life jacket all weekend constantly, dose not stop me from working and I don't feel uncomfortable in it.

As far as I am aware he is now running as a club, and not for reward so he dose not need a licence, but yes I think his licence still suspended.
Old 30 June 2005, 16:45   #39

Make: Cougar
Length: 8.4
Engine: Honda 225hp 4 stroke
Well he told me that he was chartering the boat, as there was a group on a stag do from Lymington and was doing the same the following week. Clearly he doesn't give a toss about the law. His arrogance is amazing.
Old 30 June 2005, 21:42   #40

Town: London
Boat name: Spectre of Defeat II
Make: Halmatic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 80hp merc
MMSI: N/A
Spectre of Defeat

Spectre of Defeat sold in January of this year to a dive school and now operates commercially in Cyprus fitted with twin yamaha 250hp engines:

http://www.atlantic-web.com/syndicats.htm

Originally operated by the Special Boat Squadron she was made to a spec far higher than most leisure ribs operated in the Solent for charter.

She was fitted up by BHG marine and surveyed by Diana Roberts Associates in Hamble.

Atlantic web strongly disagrees with the decision that she was unsafe. Infact she is the by far the most safe boat operated by the company which today looks after some of the largest ribs on the Hamble.

Atlantic web maintains an impeccable safety record to date yet keeps a sense of fun and enjoyment at arms length from the health and safety culture. That is why we are at the cutting edge of events by being the first to introduce concepts such as amphibious paintball and go-karting on water.

The MCA have their views as does the harbour master but the company intends to take more serious legal advice over the next few weeks and will be appealing the decision of the magistrates.

After a very successful article in the telegraph written by olympic oarsman James Cracknell the London Offshore Powerboat Club is growing at a phenomanal rate and introducing many new faces into the world of ribs. That is a very positive factor in a cottage industry which needs all the support it can muster.