Old 18 March 2017, 10:26   #1

Town: Iksal village
Boat name: C-Scanner
Make: rib520
Length: 5m +
Engine: suzuki70 df
RIb boats having storage containers inside hull

Hi guys
Been seeing few RIB boats offering storage containers that actually use the space inside hull as a storage space and access from floor (seen that mainly in the bow area-see for example Aegean rib boats from greece
https://vimeo.com/148498775
but probably many more offer that, gommonautica of italy..maybe zodiac as well?)
I was wondering if there are some rules/special demands for this design?
I assume hull will be less firm if not done correctly or maybe more humidity penetration to the hull...i dont know..so what are the demands to get this done correctly?

I will be happy if anybody can give me his wizdom about that and if there is any written material to go to.
thank
sameh
Old 18 March 2017, 10:41   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Hi guys
Been seeing few RIB boats offering storage containers that actually use the space inside hull as a storage space and access from floor (seen that mainly in the bow area-see for example Aegean rib boats from greece
https://vimeo.com/148498775
but probably many more offer that, gommonautica of italy..maybe zodiac as well?)
I was wondering if there are some rules/special demands for this design?
I assume hull will be less firm if not done correctly or maybe more humidity penetration to the hull...i dont know..so what are the demands to get this done correctly?

I will be happy if anybody can give me his wizdom about that and if there is any written material to go to.
thank
sameh

Most boats have a bow/anchor locker
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2017, 16:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Most boats have a bow/anchor locker
Talking about under hull containers that can be more towards the console not just above hull bow locker.
I should try to find some better exampme to show
Old 18 March 2017, 20:10   #4

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
There are some with big storage areas - but they usually have fuel tanks in them.

Deltabayboats,Boats,Fish boats,Delta Bay Limited

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2017, 20:13   #5

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Duplicate post

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2017, 20:43   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Some people got in a lot of bother for supplying ribs with very large storage capacity!

Most ribs store under seats, in the console and anchor locker only. Trends may be different in the med, as I think I have said before there is a lot to be said for following the trends developed by the locals - usually it will reflect how people actually use their boats in the climate etc...
Old 18 March 2017, 22:58   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Lots of RIBs have storage under the deck. It can be as Pikey says, part of the anchor locker, but can also be accessed from within a console or cabin. My cabin is partly below deck level - Coastlines are the same. I've seen Redbays with 500L storage below decks accessed via a deck hatch.

The flip side is you reduce inherent buoyancy - a nice thing to have in a boat with balloon sides....

If the boat is built properly, a bit of damp below deck is not an issue.
Old 19 March 2017, 20:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
There are some with big storage areas - but they usually have fuel tanks in them.

Thats what i mean[emoji106]
Noticed your link is for chinese boat [emoji6]
Old 19 March 2017, 20:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Some people got in a lot of bother for supplying ribs with very large storage capacity!

Most ribs store under seats, in the console and anchor locker only. Trends may be different in the med, as I think I have said before there is a lot to be said for following the trends developed by the locals - usually it will reflect how people actually use their boats in the climate etc...
That is interesting what you say..but if you can give more details to get me clearer picture..do you mean in meditteranean climate allows that and maybe more fishing purpose?
Old 19 March 2017, 20:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Lots of RIBs have storage under the deck. It can be as Pikey says, part of the anchor locker, but can also be accessed from within a console or cabin. My cabin is partly below deck level - Coastlines are the same. I've seen Redbays with 500L storage below decks accessed via a deck hatch.

The flip side is you reduce inherent buoyancy - a nice thing to have in a boat with balloon sides....

If the boat is built properly, a bit of damp below deck is not an issue.
Maybe it is my english..what did you mean by "the flip side" sentence?
With cabin starting underhull boat is closer to water? More pressure on tubes?
Thanks
Old 19 March 2017, 21:27   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
That is interesting what you say..but if you can give more details to get me clearer picture..do you mean in meditteranean climate allows that and maybe more fishing purpose?
If you look at ribs around the world, and indeed even around the UK, you will see that climate has an impact on the most common layouts (and actually hull designs too). So in the med sun pads, biminis etc are common. In the UK less so, but on the South of England might be more likely to have family oriented layouts with wakeboard or ski storage etc. In Ireland and West of Scotland where it rains a lot - boats with Cabins are much more common than in S of England. Potentially different sizes and frequencies of waves typically encountered means some hulls might be better than others, whilst seat styles/layouts and even fabrics/foam might adapt to the weather/seas.

Similar trends emerge with other boats too - so fishing boats suit the type of fish, distance from shore etc, and even the number of people who might usually go together. Sailing boats also have local designs that have evolved for particular needs (you'll find bilge keels much more common in UK drying harbours than the almost tideless med etc).
Old 19 March 2017, 21:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
If you look at ribs around the world, and indeed even around the UK, you will see that climate has an impact on the most common layouts (and actually hull designs too). So in the med sun pads, biminis etc are common. In the UK less so, but on the South of England might be more likely to have family oriented layouts with wakeboard or ski storage etc. In Ireland and West of Scotland where it rains a lot - boats with Cabins are much more common than in S of England. Potentially different sizes and frequencies of waves typically encountered means some hulls might be better than others, whilst seat styles/layouts and even fabrics/foam might adapt to the weather/seas.

Similar trends emerge with other boats too - so fishing boats suit the type of fish, distance from shore etc, and even the number of people who might usually go together. Sailing boats also have local designs that have evolved for particular needs (you'll find bilge keels much more common in UK drying harbours than the almost tideless med etc).
Many thanks poly for the valuable summary. Being far from your area, ur explanation gave me much better understanding of the connections you talked about! Many thanks
Old 02 April 2017, 11:44   #13

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
RIb boats having storage containers inside hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post

My boat has comparatively huge bow storage locker and also in the stern/transom created essentially by a high bow 'sun' deck and mounded in rear bench. But this is not at the expense of built in buoyancy - there are mounded in buoyancy chambers running fore and aft on both beams.
On cross channel trips with other boats etc, I've been able to store everything below decks whereas the usually bigger boats I've been with had to strap most stuff above deck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0888.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	118749
Old 04 April 2017, 03:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
My boat has comparatively huge bow storage locker and also in the stern/transom created essentially by a high bow 'sun' deck and mounded in rear bench. But this is not at the expense of built in buoyancy - there are mounded in buoyancy chambers running fore and aft on both beams.
On cross channel trips with other boats etc, I've been able to store everything below decks whereas the usually bigger boats I've been with had to strap most stuff above deck.

Attachment 118749
Many thanks
What boat is it?
Old 04 April 2017, 10:53   #15

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Quote:
Many thanks
What boat is it?
Capelli Tempest 470 - Most Capellis have this sort of storage & fore deck - They are optimised for the Sun being Mediterranean (Italian) in origin but not at the expense of very sea worthy hulls.

https://www.cantiericapelli.com/ribs-division
Old 04 April 2017, 14:20   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
Capelli Tempest 470 - Most Capellis have this sort of storage & fore deck - They are optimised for the Sun being Mediterranean (Italian) in origin but not at the expense of very sea worthy hulls.

https://www.cantiericapelli.com/ribs-division
Thank you
Here is much hotter than italy...i dhould get me one of those[emoji4]

Tags
rib