Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 08 November 2011, 16:50   #21

Town: Lyndhurst
Boat name: Airborne
Make: SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Send a message via AIM to Nathan k Send a message via MSN to Nathan k Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Oh dear now look what you've started. He thinks your being serious now

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
I thought he was joking but it was just in case
Old 08 November 2011, 18:01   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Nathan,

A couple of thoughts for you:

1. Very small ribs (4m) have been round Scotland (and probably Britain). A well equipped SR4 which can be acquired for a few grand COULD do this trip. Weather would obviously be more restrictive in a SR4, especially with one boat and single handed than say a 6m boat. Its been done in a zapcat.

2. If you are not in any great rush, and pick your weather carefully your Sea Fox COULD make the trip.
Old 08 November 2011, 22:14   #23

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan k View Post
Hi,
I would like to raise money for charity while i am doing it, Both Cancer research ( my dad had cancer twice ) and Naomi House are charity's I'd like to help out. after seeing what two thousand raised by my school has done to help Naomi house it would be great to see what maybe even four could do!
If someone has had experience is raising money for charity and how it all works i'd really like some help. could i possibly do it via the website so there would be a running total? also is the money paid to me and then onto the charity or directly to the charity? if it is paid directly how do I keep track of what I have raised.
I am also hoping to maybe get a radio station involved to raise awareness of the task and help raise money for the chosen charity.
I'm no marketing expert so I am sure there is many other ways to use this opportunity to Nathan
few notes might be of use
whichever charitys that you decide to raise money for let them know well in advance before you go along with the venture ,

Begars cant be choosers but some charitys may also have a limit to what type of danger//safety risks that you are going to undertake whilst raising money in their name .
eg rowing a bath tub across the english channel raising money for a new rescue boat and it sinks ,,you raised £500 but it cost £ 50,000 to go rescue you ,or sky diving for a spinal injury unit and you break your back whilst landing ,

most charitys now have some sort of Fundraising manager paid or otherwise and they should be able to give you media publicity and support for your efforts ,

keep everything money wise transparent .

also many people caught up in the excitment or intoxication of the event may say they are donating or going to give a certain amount money /going to sponsor you but then back out when the time comes to actually handing over the money .

another issue ,though one that probelly Wont be of concern to you is that one charity cannot give money to another charity.

you may also find that people will give or raise more money for a specific item or equipment or project the particular charity is under taking rather than it goes to general funds,,,people like to see where their money,s gone .
whatever you say you are going to raise the money for it will have to go for that specific cause even within that chosen charity ,
best wishes and best of luck ,,mart.
Old 10 November 2011, 16:31   #24

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
If you want to raise money for a charity don't do it in a boat. The cost of doing the event out weights the income. If you want to go around Britain, put together a business plan highlighting the return on investment (ROI) that any supplier or supporter I'd likely to receive. most people with ideas fail to accept that because it's a good idea to them, it doesn't nessesarly seem a good idea to others. As a rule of thumb you would need to demonstrate a ROI of at least 300% We give 3000% and it is still tough to get sponsors. It's taken me three years to get to a point that we will be announcing our Title Sponsor for Circumnavigationrecord.com. Keep in there and it will happen Alan P
Old 10 November 2011, 17:58   #25
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
[QUOTE=Alan Priddy;429228 As a rule of thumb you would need to demonstrate a ROI of at least 300% We give 3000% and it is still tough to get sponsors. It's taken me three years to get to a point that we will be announcing our Title Sponsor for Circumnavigationrecord.com. Keep in there and it will happen Alan P[/QUOTE]

Alan, and you have a track record and excellent credibility for your venture. A 15yr old with little experience, and only a very vague outline of what he is doing and how he will do it is probably facing a much bigger struggle. I don't mean to be negative, but realistically if Nathan walked in to see me looking for sponsorship I would want to see:

1. A clear vision of what he was trying to achieve and why.
2. An outline of why HE was the right person for me to back doing this (i.e. HIS experience and track record). Enough to give me confidence he will succeed.
3. Evidence he has a good understanding of the challenge, the logistics, possible problems, how they will be overcome.

Whilst I applaud his enthusiasm, I can't see it coming to fruition as a serious project. If he can come up with a few grand and already has a seaworthy boat and 4 or 5 weeks to spare it could make a nice "holiday" though.
Old 10 November 2011, 19:03   #26
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
has a seaworthy boat and 4 or 5 weeks to spare it could make a nice "holiday" though.
Sounds good to me

Is there such thing as an around Britain under 18 record then?

And I reckon around 45 hours would be all you need seeing as the current record is 30ish hours and the original Hot Lemon 7m was around 36 hours?

And of course factoring in etec power will shave a few hours off at least
Old 10 November 2011, 19:35   #27

Town: London/Devon
Make: Linley Swan /Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan k View Post
Hi,

The trip would set new world record for youngest solo circumnavigation of the Uk, and if i had a Rib i am sure i could be the fastest under 18 to do it solo as well. (please correct me if i am wrong)
Hi Nathan,

Sounds fantastic what you are doing and the best of luck. In 2001, I completed a circumnavigation of Britain in a 4.8m Ribcraft, a fantastic RIB. I was aged 12. Was a fantastic trip and very memorable which set me up for the future of my boating career.

In 2003 at 14 I circumnavigated Ireland in a 6.5 Redbay and moving to present times will be attempting my 5th Round Britain in June 2013, in the RB12 Powerboat Race.

If I can lend a hand, helping a fellow youngester do this fantastic trip or you would like any advice on craft and equipment then please dont hesitate to get in contact.

Best Regards
Tom
Old 10 November 2011, 19:44   #28

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Tom,
Nathan is talking about a solo circumnavigation whereas your trips were, I'm guessing, in the company of others - an excellent effort of course but being on your own would make a big difference as I'm sure we would all agree. Nathan - don't take this the wrong way but you're a bit young and perhaps currently a little inexperienced for this kind of undertaking. Give it a few more years, get some more ribbing under your belt, and then do it.
Old 10 November 2011, 20:01   #29

It is important to stage my age to give him confindence that you shouldnt let your age be a restriction and i fully support a youngester trying to push bourndries and get out on the water and do something dynamic and an adventure he will remember for the rest of his life.
I do know of another lad who took a 7.4 RIBTEC around britain solo and was 15.

However there is a serious side. On RB4 14 teams started, only 8 finished. These were all experienced yachtsman or Ribster's who had many sea miles, for various reason-boats breaking, bodys giving up etc, these boats retired. You need serious experience to be able to complete a trip at 15 on your own.

Nathan, I led an extremely privledged upbringing in the boating world, which im hugely grateful for, this gave me the experience, led by my father and others to cope with big seas. You will have to prepare for Force 7's experience and always prepare for the worst, the weather can change instantly - this will be hugely different to your experience of 4-5ft seas in a 40ft RIB.

Take a year to prepare, to train yourself to good level and pace yourself. take 15 days or so to do the trip (we did it 10 but it was tough in a small boat) and enjoy the experience. I would aim for 100-150miles per day. I do not want to dampen good spirits and Nathan has my full support, just take your time to full investigate it and talk to people like Alan and others who have done the trip, you will learn a lot. You will need to raise about 5k min I would say to do it enjoyably. Best of luck.
Old 10 November 2011, 20:09   #30

Get yourself a copy of the DVD "Small boats, big seas". That should give you a heads up on the challenge ahead. Our longest day was leaving a 6am to finish the leg at 3am! I remember in tears at 2am, hands cramped up around the steering wheel and on the phone to my dad getting in.

Since the trip I have always suffered with a bad back, my skeleton was not developement enough at 12 to take the huge strain of the event and the rough seas. No one would have known this would happen, to this day I need regular massages and to see the doctor and my boating now has good shock mitigation. You are slightly older, but I would still make sure you have shock mitigating seats and floor.

This is a huge undertaking at a young age, if you need help with the specification required for such a trip, PM me and I will send you the kit list.
Old 11 November 2011, 13:18   #31

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
With respect Tom, you were only a passenger on the trip, it was planned by the "Older Generation". This guy wants to do everything himself and has to be given the encouragement and hard facts of life in order for him to move forward (or stop) Alan P
Old 11 November 2011, 18:00   #32

With great respect Alan, my father did plan the event and it was organised by others far older than me, that does not detract that at 12 I did that distance and learnt alot from it, secondly my father did not complete the trip due to my mother being ill, other members from other teams "baby sat" myself on our Ribcraft while my father was away, this did mean however I did a huge part of the driving and skippering of that vessel and I have many who can back me up on this, the DVD documents this.

Many doubted the trip was a wise thing, including yourself. However we proofed that you can do great distances in small boats-safely. Regardless of my age, the experiences I learnt from my childhood have had a direct relation to my boating these days.

Its great he is keen to get out on the water and aspire to do great things, rather than sit infront of a playstation. As long as its safe and done in a responsible manner.

At 14 doing round Ireland, at 16 I accompanied John Aldiss as a navigator on a Round Britain time record attempt and at 18 was the youngest on the RB08 Powerboat race. These events, were fantastic for my youth. I have already stated i led a privledged up bringing in the boating world, due to my family position in the marine market, and although the majority of boating was due to this, it was a great way to grow up and I have learnt alot, it is something I am extremely grateful and honoured to have such an unbringing.

If nathan in a similar way can restore his boat, get some sea years under his belt and learn and develop as a character then fantastic. Its great to aim high and go for it no matter about the doubters. I wish him the best of luck.
Old 11 November 2011, 19:23   #33

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
Old 11 November 2011, 19:43   #34

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +