Old 06 February 2014, 19:39   #1521

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHall View Post
Can't wait to see photos and videos. Do you think she will make it to the Anglesey trip at Easter.
Probably be sold by then, you'll have to wait and ask the new owner
Old 06 February 2014, 19:41   #1522

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Hope so, that's hope it's sold and hope it will be coming along. Should be in the contract of sale!

It's a little far to come down to KB for the day..
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2014, 22:15   #1523

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Alex

I understand your logic, but I see it slightly differently.

Firstly, I would be extremely annoyed to make the highest offer under sealed bids, and then have you ask the next bidder if they wanted to increase their bid, and so on. (Maybe that's not what you meant but thats how I read your message.)

Secondly, if I were making a sealed bid, my head would be speaking and I would bid based on what I felt it was worth. If in an auction, my heart will rule my head, feeling the next bid will get it etc, I would probably be driven to bid more. I can't really see such a big gap as the thousands in your example.

I could be wrong but would have thought that to get the emotions going to push up the bidding, you need the visible bidding of an eBay type auction. I could possibly say the same about sealed bids, but in that case you are always scared of bidding too high as you don't want to overpay.

Tough call.
Old 06 February 2014, 23:06   #1524

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
Alex

I understand your logic, but I see it slightly differently.

Firstly, I would be extremely annoyed to make the highest offer under sealed bids, and then have you ask the next bidder if they wanted to increase their bid, and so on. (Maybe that's not what you meant but thats how I read your message.)

Secondly, if I were making a sealed bid, my head would be speaking and I would bid based on what I felt it was worth. If in an auction, my heart will rule my head, feeling the next bid will get it etc, I would probably be driven to bid more. I can't really see such a big gap as the thousands in your example.

I could be wrong but would have thought that to get the emotions going to push up the bidding, you need the visible bidding of an eBay type auction. I could possibly say the same about sealed bids, but in that case you are always scared of bidding too high as you don't want to overpay.

Tough call.
Thank you Neil this is exactly the type of feedback that I wanted. I have no problem in getting it wrong now as long as I don't get it wrong with the sale, after all nothing has ever been done like this before on here.

We have poured our harts and souls into this and it doesn't stop as soon as the rib if completed, the sale and how it's done is just as important
Old 07 February 2014, 06:03   #1525

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
get Bonhams to do the auction, Pope's Harley sold for a good few bob over the auction estimate
Old 07 February 2014, 07:46   #1526

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Ok, I'm back so I'll explain things as promised...

Auctions are great but you need two people to bid to more or less the same amount to get your max sale price, for example if Mr smith bids 11k and at the last minute Mr Legend bids 18k then the rib sell for something like £11,050 so we miss out on £6,950. So we haven't maximised the sale price.

Sealed bids or best offers can be controlled by us, it can be advertised everywhere even on ebay and we can set a reserve, decide when to sell and how long they go on for. So if Mr Legend bids/offers 18k and he is the highest we then publish that £18,000 has been offered and you now have 7 days if you want to make a better offer and if that happens then Mr Legend gets another chance to up his offer so it becomes like a small auction until only one person is left. At that point the rib will be sold for the highest price possible. Everything is fair and we don't get someone come along saying I bid 25k but got it for 15k...

In my opinion the extending sealed bid method is flawed. In a normal sealed bid auction Mr Legend WILL bid the 18k because he is frightened that someone will bid higher and he will have lost the boat. But in the above method why not put in a 9k bid because if there is a higher bid (probably will be by Mr Smith) he will have 7 days to make a better offer. He could save himself anything up to 9k.

With auctions, online or real ones, people get carried away in the heat of the moment and actually bid more than they should do. A good auctioneer will whip the audience up into a frenzy of bidding and get a better price than a poor auctioneer. Maybe we could get a really good auctioneer to donate his services for free as it's for charity.

If you could get the build article out in the next issue of HMS's magazine & advertise the auction event in there that would pull in more bidders on the day, but I doubt that will happen. Maybe one of the other big circulation magazines would help. Also this is a great "good news" story which you may get national TV news to cover as they must be getting fed up with storm and flood disaster stories by now.

Macmillan must have TV & newspaper contacts they can talk to, after all getting the best price is in Macmillans interest.

Chris

Chris
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2014, 07:57   #1527

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
The other option is the high price high chance raffle.
That way you can get what you want for it.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2014, 08:06   #1528

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
The other option is the high price high chance raffle.
That way you can get what you want for it.
I think Alex said that's classed as gambling and not allowed by Ribnet.
Old 07 February 2014, 08:16   #1529

RIBase
This is without doubt the best SR5.4 in the world, a truly unique boat. There must be lots of wealthy boat collectors around the world that would love to own this and would pay whatever is necessary to acquire it. The problem is how to make these people aware of its existence, not just in the UK but worldwide.

Who has ideas on how to get the word around about this boat and it's build story? I suspect outside of Ribnet nobody knows about this.
Old 07 February 2014, 08:21   #1530

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
What a dilemma, I'm sure it will work out, Alex won't let it go cheap, he's got quite attached to it, more than me and I'm living with it! At the end of the day it's our boat and we can sell it anyway and at anytime we want, if we are unhappy with the way it's going it's up to us to sort it. There is more going on behind the scene than gets posted and it's been quite hard to juggle work and MacRib, before anybody jumps on Alex, spare a thought for the 250 miles he's traveled over the weekend just to come down here and get abused by me
Old 07 February 2014, 10:22   #1531

On a different note for a minute...

Would anyone like to sponsor the Hog Roast at the launch on the 9th March?

The costs are (pretty accurate but not exact) : -

55 kilo pig £150
Buns, slaw, apple sauce, stuffing, etc. £50

There's no charge for time, plates, gas or equipment etc as this has already been donated

We do still have money in the bank but as promised we won't be using it for the party.

It will be a free hog roast but with a bucket for donations that will go the Macmillan Cancer Support.
Old 07 February 2014, 10:41   #1532

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Been meddling with an idea I wish, on others approval to fabricate a nice led illuminated plaque for this auction
This can be free standing or wall mounted Or a simple brass/stainless in filled oak mounted plaque
Really am open to suggestions ?
Mac Millan rib Built with aid dedication of ribnet members.
as listed below
Members site names,
wisper biffer Neil Harvey etc Companys involved/donated parts etc Henshaws Bl;ah de blah Names I can not think of at the minute Any ones thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated, I can fit it all on regardless of how many names etc,,
Old 07 February 2014, 11:26   #1533

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
Been meddling with an idea I wish, on others approval to fabricate a nice led illuminated plaque for this auction
This can be free standing or wall mounted Or a simple brass/stainless in filled oak mounted plaque
Really am open to suggestions ?
Mac Millan rib Built with aid dedication of ribnet members.
as listed below
Members site names,
wisper biffer Neil Harvey etc Companys involved/donated parts etc Henshaws Bl;ah de blah Names I can not think of at the minute Any ones thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated, I can fit it all on regardless of how many names etc,,
That would be great Something freestanding that can stand next to the rib and not blow away

If you decide to go led then we won't have any power there so it will have to be battery powered?

As for the design, you do whatever you think, all your work has been awesome and this won't be any different.

I can do a list of all the people that helped next week
Old 07 February 2014, 11:29   #1534

Quote:
The idea is that we do a Ribnet restoration and then auction it for our charity to the highest bidder.
Right then, just checked my first post on this thread and I said that we would auction it, so lets auction it on ebay
Old 07 February 2014, 11:29   #1535

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
In my opinion the extending sealed bid method is flawed. In a normal sealed bid auction Mr Legend WILL bid the 18k because he is frightened that someone will bid higher and he will have lost the boat. But in the above method why not put in a 9k bid because if there is a higher bid (probably will be by Mr Smith) he will have 7 days to make a better offer. He could save himself anything up to 9k.
Chris
Agreed, sealed bids should be sealed bids, highest bidder wins if over the reserve.
Can we advertise it well enough for sealed bids? Will people write in with a sealed bid?

I just saw an auction on ebay with a BIN price. Could go that route with a BIN price that is quite high and we would be ecstatic with. Risk being an high BIN could put people off? If someone presses BIN, I don't think anyone should be unhappy that it could possibly have been sold for more, because the BIN would be a price we would be ecstatic to achieve.

Or a classified ebay ad with a high price like £20k, also utilising the "best offers" approach? That would mimic the sealed bids idea, but do it in an electronic format people are used to, and also do the advertising for us. Could also take out an ad in a couple of the magazines. I am sure if we were to purchase and advert at least one of the magazines would up it to a half pager or something?
Old 07 February 2014, 11:35   #1536

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Quote:
That would be great Something freestanding that can stand next to the rib and not blow away

If you decide to go led then we won't have any power there so it will have to be battery powered?

As for the design, you do whatever you think, all your work has been awesome and this won't be any different.

I can do a list of all the people that helped next week
Give me. A list and I will sort it. Cough solar powerd A frame it is then,,, cause is worth it
Old 07 February 2014, 11:35   #1537

Quote:
Right then, just checked my first post on this thread and I said that we would auction it, so lets auction it on ebay
OK

Can we choose how long to have the auction running? Could it be done long enough to get the ebay number on an advert in a magazine?
Old 07 February 2014, 13:25   #1538

Town: Plymouth
Forgive me but if you think anybody that isn't emotionally attached to this project is going to be offering anywhere close to £20k your dreaming! All things aside, its a 5.4m Rib with a 10/15 year old 2 stroke engine on it.

By doing all the work that's been done to it you've priced it out of a genuine sale from the normal punter who just wants a Rib. Regardless how good it is £20k opens a lot of doors to a generic buyer, I think very few members would be willing (or able) to offer this kind of figure.

Maybe a better option would be actually donating it to Macmillan for them to do there own charity auction etc. I'm sure they must do things like that ? Kind of like American Choppers or OCC do with the bikes,

www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk
Old 07 February 2014, 13:54   #1539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Forgive me but if you think anybody that isn't emotionally attached to this project is going to be offering anywhere close to £20k your dreaming! All things aside, its a 5.4m Rib with a 10/15 year old 2 stroke engine on it.
BoatsandOutboards4Sale | Hand-picked boats & motors, fully tested, delivered nationwide.
I am not dreaming, I don't think it likely for one minute! It was a price I pulled out that I think everyone would be ecstatic with, as noted in my post a high price, basically so it does not go for a mediocre price that could be bettered. If it fetches £10k, I think we are doing well, for the exact points you raise. If on the other hand, we could get a new engine on it, maybe £20k would be a possibility, but I am stil not sure, and not convinced anyone is going to donate a brand new outboard
Old 07 February 2014, 13:58   #1540

A mint mod sr5.4 mk2 with a yam 90 and trailer is worth 10k so this is worth more than that.

Tags
rib