Old 27 February 2005, 16:16   #1

Town: Athens
Make: Revenger
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xOptimax 225
revnger or scorpion?

I am thinking of buying a revenger 27, or a scorpion 8.60, in Greece. Which is better, both as built quality, and as handling in bad weather?
Old 27 February 2005, 16:39   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Funny how lots of people compare these two boats... they are completely different!

You will probably find that the Revenger hull is faster, but the Scorpion better handling in rough weather.

HTH!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2005, 17:10   #3

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
i think thats a fair reply, i started a thread with the same title about a year ago.. i think ive finally decided i want a scorpion but havent closed the doors on revenger.. problem is now i gotta find the money!!http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....light=scorpion
Old 27 February 2005, 17:13   #4

Town: Athens
Engine: 2xOptimax 225
Scorpions sold in Greece are built here, not in the UK, so I am a bit conserned on the built quality. On the other hand Revengers are built in the UK, and the quality is perfect IMO.
Old 28 February 2005, 07:55   #5

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
It will also depend on what you want to use it for.

I spent quite some time deciding which boat to buy. Basically i came down to a few boats, however i made my mind up by

1) The Revenger, i found when i got whippy was a little more unstable than the Scorpion, also it took on loads of water. But in nice conditions boy did it go

2) I can only speak for the UK market but the quality is very good and the boat handles well. I think Scorpions , especially the new ones are very expensive. I got my second hand.

So i ended up with a Scorpion
Old 28 February 2005, 07:59   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: RocknRoller
Length: 4m +
Engine: 150 Yamaha
Revenger

My dad has got the Revenger 29 inbord. We have got been out in some pritty rough weather and have not found it a problem. I find that the boat is two different boats in rough and calm days. In the rough trim her properly and she will plow her way thorugh most then in the calm she becomes the speedster that they are built for. Superb boats the revengers. I have been out on a few of the ribs which have gone off to greece and other dealers over seas and i am very pleased with the way they deal with there over seas customers.

Let us know what you chose.
Old 28 February 2005, 08:05   #7

Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
I will be very very interested in these reply's also.

Dan.
Old 28 February 2005, 08:08   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: RocknRoller
Length: 4m +
Engine: 150 Yamaha
what you lookin for Dan
Old 28 February 2005, 10:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdavis
what you lookin for Dan
Something around 7.5 meters wich handels very good in high waves end with enough storage-space to keep thing dry. Ofcourse they all have space for 4 seats.
Not heavyer than 1200 kg and a console with enough space for some elektronics at good heigth.
We will visit the Ribbex to see most of the Ribs next of June.

Dan.
Old 28 February 2005, 12:28   #10

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
big question danny is whats ur budget. most good ribs scorpion especially are like buying a new a bmw and do reach some very dizzy and silly prices.. i rekon i need atleast £45-50k for a 8.1m which aint happening
Old 28 February 2005, 17:59   #11

Town: Farstad
Boat name: Searafting
Make: Humber Offshore 8,5
Engine: 2 x 250 Suzuki
Hi,

we have a Revenger 29 with 2 x 225 Evinrudes. We use the boat for something we call searafting here in Norway and we are carrying 12 persons onboard driving the boat like we had stolen boat, engines and fuel all day long. or in other word trying to kill the boat and engines.

So fare we have had no problem with our Revenger and the biggest waves we are riding are 4-5 meters, the only thing that has been a problem if you could call it a problem is that when you ride with the waves we might ride the bow straight true the waves but this only happends when its 4-5 meters waves.

I have a freind that have a Scorpion 8,75 that is allso doing searafting here in Norway, and i dont think he is so happy with his boat that i am.

Revenger is VERY good quality and i think that Scorpion have name that they dont deserve, i allso have heard from people that have visited the Scorpion factory that the factory looks like a mess.

We have now bought a new charter rib from a sweden based company called Rib Unlimited, and i most say that im very impressed with the service, deals, pricing and how clean the factory is.

So fare there seems like there is no company in the world that could beat the price that they have for a 36 feet charter rib with twin 315 yanmars, Bravo one XR drives with ITS stand off box, Ullman jockey seats etc

I will post pictures of the boat when it's finished about a month or so.
Old 28 February 2005, 19:11   #12

Town: South coast
Boat name: Boats
Length: 6m +
Revenger need to be driven hard in large seas. Excellent boat and build quality, very fast hull characteristics.

Searafting : I agree that Scorpions are over hyped and priced. They are very good in the solent chop but don't really like the big stuff. Their hull profile together with the hard nose on larger Scorpions gives them a tendency for stuffing.IMHO

Soft nose models prior to the hard nose have been known to have their tubes ripped off also.

Simon
Old 28 February 2005, 19:29   #13

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
SimpleSimon, you really are living up to your name!

In the time we have had our Scorpion (1 yr 8 mths) we have never stuffed it. I have only ever heard of a very few instances of Scorpions stuffing and in each case either the boat was out in awful weather, or the skipper admitted making an error, or both!

Regarding tubes parting company with the hull, I know of only one instance which was in the case of an early cabin RIB and the problem was rectified on that and all other cabin Scorpions.

Simon, please could you tell us exactly where you get your views on Scorpions from. Do you own one? Or use one regularly?
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2005, 19:33   #14

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Ooooooo... That didn't take you long, Louise.

Old 28 February 2005, 19:36   #15

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Jeff, I am quite happy for people to disagree with me if they are able to back up their views with solid experience and knowledge of what they are talking about!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2005, 19:44   #16

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
I'm unbiased and i think Simon has made some unfounded comments there.. but i'm prepaired to be wrong.

I think scorpions are stupidly over priced but they are very well designed and buitd, although i have still seen GRP cracking and minor design faults on the handfull i have had a chance to inspect / travel on / drive. No docout many of the "niggling faults" i've spotted are rectified if you buy brand new.

I have no first hand experience of Revenger afloat but the build looks good and evryone says how fast they are and how they still need to be driven fast in a big sea. There prices seam more realistic both new and 2nd hand but as someone said previously a different boat to a scorpion.
Old 01 March 2005, 04:28   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash
big question danny is whats ur budget. most good ribs scorpion especially are like buying a new a bmw and do reach some very dizzy and silly prices.. i rekon i need atleast £45-50k for a 8.1m which aint happening
As Scorpion wrote me :The starting price for a 7.5m fitted with an 150hp Evinrude DI outboard is £27,630.00 plus VAT; whilst for an 8.1m the price for the 8.1m Scorpion fitted with the 200hp Evinrude E-Tec starts at £30,900.00 plus VAT.

We would buy a boat only, without most of the gadgeds and complet it overhere by ourselves. That always saves a lot of money.
We have a good price/deal with Yamaha and all of the SS parts are made by ourselves.

In that way you can make something unique.

Dan.
Old 01 March 2005, 09:33   #18

Town: Havant
Boat name: Mrs Chips
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Optimax 225
I did over 2500 miles last year in my Scorpion and in my opinion there is nothing on the market to beat it at the moment. The build quality and attention to detail is far and above anything you can expect on larger more expensive and complex motorboats. The aftersales has been better than BMW and the seakeeping is stunning. It has been stuffed twice - both due to driver error. If you can improve it and know what you are talking about Mr Jelley is very open to suggestions.

You can break anything if you really try or are stupid enough.
Old 01 March 2005, 10:55   #19

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny
Something around 7.5 meters wich handels very good in high waves end with enough storage-space to keep thing dry. Ofcourse they all have space for 4 seats.
Not heavyer than 1200 kg and a console with enough space for some elektronics at good heigth.
We will visit the Ribbex to see most of the Ribs next of June.

Dan.
We will have the BananaShark at the show and it will meet the above requirements although it is not the normal layout for a RIB - There is a 6' (Nearly 2m) locker under the foredeck, seats 5 and rough water won't be a problem as the race boat has proved many times! Here's a thread with some photos - http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....ht=bananashark The CE marking is mostly done and more photos and pricing to follow soon - watch this space! There will also be a seperate thread with "The making of" from plug to mould to finished boat.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2005, 12:32   #20

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
..There will also be a seperate thread with "The making of" from plug to mould to finished boat.
Cool. I'll look forward to that.