RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I guess its a difficult balance and the authors have a hard time getting that balance spot on,
yip - not really a criticism just trying to give folks a realistic expectation before it arrives as most people won't be able to find this on a shop shelf to flick through.

Quote:
On the advanced courses and any advanced powerboat book I personally would like to see a chapter on the 'Milly' rib incident, having read the MAIB full report I learned a lot about boat stability issues and power versus stability, weight and boat capabilities and design.
there is a good amount of stuff on stability, high speed etc. although I don't think the hooking type issue is covered (or not in any real detail).

Quote:
Perhaps another area I would like to see in an advanced book or an advanced course is a section on the RNLI and Coastguard in terms of search and rescue and how for example the coatsguard operates during an incident and the information they need in certain situations,
you'll certainly find the search patterns section interesting then. you might be left wanting for more - but I guess then its not powerboat specific either...
Old 08 October 2014, 19:04   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
So, if I buy the book and read it, do I need to do the course ?
well different people learn in different ways but if you bought the "roadcraft" book do you think that would instantly make you an "advanced driver"? I suspect if you are thinking of doing more training it would be sensible to buy, read and digest the book before the course so you get maximum from the practical stuff. The point I was making though is it takes a wee bit of effort to read it - because (I presume) its structured around a course syllabus it doesn't necessarily flow beautifully.

Quote:
Given I've done Powerboat 1 and 2, and now had a while to mess about in my boat I was thinking about some more training.
well there is an intermediate course after that (and before this) and the advanced course expects a reasonable level of nav. skill that you might need to do the day skipper theory for.
Quote:
  • But will I learn stuff that matters in the real world, or just hypothetical stuff ? it depends what you want to do with your rib. If you want to cruise further afield, in more challenging conditions or explore new areas with fun navigation then you'll learn relevant stuff. If you mostly want to buzz around the same bays with a ringo on the back then you might see it as hypothetical.
  • Will it relate to my RIB ?
    I think so. Its aimed at open powerboats. The book (and if you pick right the training provider) also covers some of the issues around twins v's singles
  • Anyone done the advanced course - can you recommend it ?
    Lots of people here have - can't recall anyone criticising it.
  • Some of the stuff seems pretty obvious, or is it a case of having a hands on course making it easier to put in practice what you may have read ?
Well stuff always seems logical on paper with a diagram and only one version of reality written down. Doing it for real, intuitively at the right time and understanding what you need to do, when rather than the correct answer to a clear question is always the challenge. The book will help but at about 15x the price you'd hope the course was better!
Old 08 October 2014, 19:05   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Maybe Polys got his eye on a Booker!
the only Booker I'll get is a cash n carry!
Old 09 October 2014, 04:14   #14

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Cheers Poly, I didn't realise there was a course in-between - I think I need to speak to a few trainers and see if they could do one or the other or both and do them using my RIB.
Old 09 October 2014, 09:46   #15
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Cheers Poly, I didn't realise there was a course in-between - I think I need to speak to a few trainers and see if they could do one or the other or both and do them using my RIB.
I'd get some more hours under your belt first. Personally I find that doing a course on a subject I "think" I know can often be more informative & educational than a course on a new subject. I'm probably not explaining this very well I.e. When you've been out & made mistakes or seen things that you don't understand, you can come to a course loaded with pertinent questions & real scenarios that you can present to the instructor & ask advice, rather than sit there & take everything he says as gospel & not have the experience to apply the content to real world experiences/situations.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 October 2014, 09:56   #16

RIBase
Yes, I know what you mean. I've learned quite a bit by trying it out for real and doing more of that is probably a good thing.
Old 09 October 2014, 10:10   #17

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Yes, I know what you mean. I've learned quite a bit by trying it out for real and doing more of that is probably a good thing.
Unless you want to become an instructor or work in the commercial sector PB2 should be adequate enough for what you need as a leisure ribber.

Get out with your mates and other ribnobbers and enjoy your boat is what I say.

Bit like driving a car once you pass your test you never actually stop learning.
Old 09 October 2014, 10:13   #18

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Have to disagree with Kerny...doing the advanced course polishes skills of a pb2 and gives you the ability to go beyond nice days out into night and more technical ways of navigating and for when you plotter packs up etc etc...
Old 09 October 2014, 10:30   #19

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Agree with PeterM. Especially for people starting out with longer distance RIB cruising, whilst reading the book is good, actually doing an Intermediate/Advanced course and putting the theory into practice under guidance of an experienced instructor is very valuable. An instructor should be able to add far more value than just repeating the contents of the book back at you, and especially on the Advanced course, the opportunity to practice night nav with an instructor onboard gives you much more confidence if it's your first time, and hopefully means you would then manage at night yourself, if either you chose to do a night passage, or get stuck out at sea for whatever reason. For people that already have Yachtmasters or the like, maybe Intermediate/Advanced is of more limited value as similar things should have been covered (albeit at a lower speed) on the YM exam, but if coming from "just" a PB2, I think it can make a big difference to your skills, abilities and confidence.

But I do agree with PikeyDave as well. For people with their own boats, it can be very valuable reading the book and practicing yourself. And then maybe lookign at the course as a way to refine your knowledge, pick up some additiona tips and test your skills.
Old 09 October 2014, 11:13   #20

RIBase
Mmmm, all good comments.

I think I shall read the book and then practice myself and gain some more hands on experience.

Then Id like to get some training one on one on my RIB.

I will just be a leisure ribber, but I do expect to explore stuff off the beaten track, longer distances, evening/dawn, interesting weather and the odd bumpy sea. All as and when my confidence builds.

It would just be nice to have someone telling me I'm doing it right or wrong. But you cant buy experience, just learn it.