Old 12 November 2009, 09:13   #1

Town: wells
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115
Retrofit elephant trunks?

I have a problem with my bung, allow me to explain. Had my first "stuff" the other day and totally swamped the rib, had to lean right over the transom and undo the bung, not ideal and very awkard.

If you undo the bung to start with, as soon as you stop for any amount of time the rib will take on water to the extent of wet feet.

Ideas on a postcard to??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00150-20090511-1757.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	47427  
Old 12 November 2009, 09:37   #2

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
is that your only means of removing the water from your boat while at sea
Old 12 November 2009, 10:44   #3

Boat name: llyn raider
Make: xs
Length: 7m +
Engine: 1 200hp merc
i would say an elephants trunk is a must for any rib. a 2cm hole in the back of the boat is not enough!
Old 12 November 2009, 11:28   #4
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_j View Post

Ideas on a postcard to??
I would suggest posting a shot of the inside of the transom as it is the internal lay out that will dictate how and where you are going to be abel to to drill a 4" hole
Old 12 November 2009, 12:27   #5

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Mark,

Firstly, welcome to ribnet!

Two things - Firstly yes, a trunk will empy the boat a LOT quickwer than that wee hole. Secondly, is that bung in your photo attatched to the inside of the hull, or the cavilty under the floor? It looks a little too low to be a hull drain.......

As for the trunks, there are plenty of people will sell you a ready to fit trunk. (I got a pair of them form Humber to replace my knackered ones for (I think) about £40. No idea what your internal layout of the boat is, but leading the release string forward to the console is also a useful mod....

In the meantime, I suggest you pack a bucket. (seriously - I swamped my old SR4 "sans trunks", and was sooooo glad I had one with me!)
Old 12 November 2009, 12:59   #6

more info

Yes that is the only drain at present, i will take pics of the inside layout but at the back of the boat is a built in bucket for want of a better word, the bottom of that is the other side of the bung. so yest you can cut a larger hole than is there at present.
Old 12 November 2009, 13:53   #7

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Spare Rib
Make: Zodiac/Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_j View Post
Yes that is the only drain at present, i will take pics of the inside layout but at the back of the boat is a built in bucket for want of a better word, the bottom of that is the other side of the bung. so yest you can cut a larger hole than is there at present.
I think you're describing a "well" - a cavity at the transom that collects water and keeps the deck dry - usually equpped with an electric pump discharging though a hole in the transom. If you're likely to be stuffing the boat, you need more drainage than a well/pump can provide - so elephant's trunk(s).

Quote:
If you undo the bung to start with, as soon as you stop for any amount of time the rib will take on water to the extent of wet feet.
Yes it would. The bung on the outside of the transom (in your photo) is for draining the under-deck cavity when the boat is on land. It's not designed to drain water when you're afloat and I'm surprised it managed to get rid of any, even underway.
Old 12 November 2009, 14:17   #8

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I installed a 68mm trunk into my Valiant which I purchased from the rib shop. I filled the original 50mm ope (which had a 25-30mm one way valve which was Sh*te). I then drilled out the 70mm hole with the drill bit centered on the filler which I placed in the original ope. The trunk is much better than the one way valve.
Old 12 November 2009, 14:22   #9

Yes a "well" is exactly what i have and the bung is quite blatently not big enough. So we have established that i do need an elephants trunk, next question is where and how to fit it?
Old 12 November 2009, 14:52   #10
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
http://www.rib-shop.com/product.asp?...hFor=&PT_ID=23
Old 12 November 2009, 15:00   #11

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: Magic II
Make: Tohatsu 6.1
Engine: Evinrude 115 E-tec
MMSI: 235050189
Send a message via Skype™ to kwil
Mark - I notice your rib is a Porters rib as is mine. I have attached a photo of how mine was done by Porters it has the small drain in the sump for emptying when on trailer and a trunk at deck level for when under way. I also have fitted an auto bilge pump in the sump and hardly ever have to use the trunk.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0532b.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	47429  
Old 12 November 2009, 16:05   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwil View Post
Mark - I notice your rib is a Porters rib as is mine. I have attached a photo of how mine was done by Porters it has the small drain in the sump for emptying when on trailer and a trunk at deck level for when under way. I also have fitted an auto bilge pump in the sump and hardly ever have to use the trunk.

Keith
Keith,

Many thanks for your input. I now know what and where, I hope someone will be along soon to advise how.

Mark
Old 12 November 2009, 17:26   #13
JSP

There's been a few people fitted their own on here. As far as I know (never done it myself) you need to find the best place for it to go. Drill a hole big enough and then seal that hole with something like sikaflex. Fitting the kit from RIBshop should be very straight forward.
Old 12 November 2009, 17:55   #14

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I sealed the hole in my transom with resin first then put sikaflex in the hole to seal it completely.
Old 12 November 2009, 18:44   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
very important to keep the plywod transom core dry...
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2009, 19:05   #16

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Some RIB manufacturers, eg Osprey, use a length of pipe (68mm downpipe, or 82mm soil pipe) through the transom, seal it in place and stick the trunk to the bit that protrudes out of the back of the transom. Others, eg Ribcraft & Avon, line the hole with GRP and use a trunk with a flange which is screwed to the outside of the transom.
Whichever way you decide to do it, cut the hole out with a good sharp core cutter. If you decide to use some pipe to line the hole, then drill the hole horizontal, rather than perpendicular to the transom face, to keep the trunks horizontal when deployed. Stick the pipe in place with plenty of Sikaflex, to prevent any water ingress.
If, on the other hand, you decide to use a trunk with a flange, then the angle of the hole cut out is less important. In this instance, I would cut some 2" wide strips of chopped strand mat and lay up 2 layers inside the hole against the plywood core, then finish it off with some flowcoat.
If you think all this may be beyond your capabilities, it may be worth having a word with Ribcraft in Yeovil, to see if they will do it for you.
Old 13 November 2009, 07:53   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
If you think all this may be beyond your capabilities, it may be worth having a word with Ribcraft in Yeovil, to see if they will do it for you.
Many thanks Dai, just of to get some hole cutters, in for a penny and all that!!!
Old 13 November 2009, 08:30   #18

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Nice one!
Remember my old man's rule in these matters:

'Measure twice & cut once'
Old 13 November 2009, 08:40   #19
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Some RIB manufacturers, eg Osprey, use a length of pipe (68mm downpipe, or 82mm soil pipe) through the transom, seal it in place and stick the trunk to the bit that protrudes out of the back of the transom. Others, eg Ribcraft & Avon, line the hole with GRP and use a trunk with a flange which is screwed to the outside of the transom.
Whichever way you decide to do it, cut the hole out with a good sharp core cutter. If you decide to use some pipe to line the hole, then drill the hole horizontal, rather than perpendicular to the transom face, to keep the trunks horizontal when deployed. Stick the pipe in place with plenty of Sikaflex, to prevent any water ingress.
If, on the other hand, you decide to use a trunk with a flange, then the angle of the hole cut out is less important. In this instance, I would cut some 2" wide strips of chopped strand mat and lay up 2 layers inside the hole against the plywood core, then finish it off with some flowcoat.
I think I explained it far better than you did
Old 13 November 2009, 16:43   #20

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Also don't forget to Mask the area and to drill from both sides to prevent the gel coat "Scabbing" i.e when the centre drill "Pilot" is through let the hole saw cut slowly on one side for a few Mil's then cut through from the other side, if that all make sense
Oh and yes take is slooowly