Old 12 November 2009, 11:00   #11

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: Magic II
Make: Tohatsu 6.1
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 115 E-tec
MMSI: 235050189
Send a message via Skype™ to kwil
Mark - I notice your rib is a Porters rib as is mine. I have attached a photo of how mine was done by Porters it has the small drain in the sump for emptying when on trailer and a trunk at deck level for when under way. I also have fitted an auto bilge pump in the sump and hardly ever have to use the trunk.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0532b.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	47429  

Old 12 November 2009, 12:05   #12

Town: wells
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwil View Post
Mark - I notice your rib is a Porters rib as is mine. I have attached a photo of how mine was done by Porters it has the small drain in the sump for emptying when on trailer and a trunk at deck level for when under way. I also have fitted an auto bilge pump in the sump and hardly ever have to use the trunk.

Keith
Keith,

Many thanks for your input. I now know what and where, I hope someone will be along soon to advise how.

Mark

Old 12 November 2009, 13:26   #13
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
There's been a few people fitted their own on here. As far as I know (never done it myself) you need to find the best place for it to go. Drill a hole big enough and then seal that hole with something like sikaflex. Fitting the kit from RIBshop should be very straight forward.
Old 12 November 2009, 13:55   #14

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I sealed the hole in my transom with resin first then put sikaflex in the hole to seal it completely.
Old 12 November 2009, 14:44   #15
RIBnet supporter

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
very important to keep the plywod transom core dry...
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2009, 15:05   #16

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Some RIB manufacturers, eg Osprey, use a length of pipe (68mm downpipe, or 82mm soil pipe) through the transom, seal it in place and stick the trunk to the bit that protrudes out of the back of the transom. Others, eg Ribcraft & Avon, line the hole with GRP and use a trunk with a flange which is screwed to the outside of the transom.
Whichever way you decide to do it, cut the hole out with a good sharp core cutter. If you decide to use some pipe to line the hole, then drill the hole horizontal, rather than perpendicular to the transom face, to keep the trunks horizontal when deployed. Stick the pipe in place with plenty of Sikaflex, to prevent any water ingress.
If, on the other hand, you decide to use a trunk with a flange, then the angle of the hole cut out is less important. In this instance, I would cut some 2" wide strips of chopped strand mat and lay up 2 layers inside the hole against the plywood core, then finish it off with some flowcoat.
If you think all this may be beyond your capabilities, it may be worth having a word with Ribcraft in Yeovil, to see if they will do it for you.
Old 13 November 2009, 03:53   #17

Town: wells
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
If you think all this may be beyond your capabilities, it may be worth having a word with Ribcraft in Yeovil, to see if they will do it for you.
Many thanks Dai, just of to get some hole cutters, in for a penny and all that!!!
Old 13 November 2009, 04:30   #18

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Nice one!
Remember my old man's rule in these matters:

'Measure twice & cut once'
Old 13 November 2009, 04:40   #19
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Some RIB manufacturers, eg Osprey, use a length of pipe (68mm downpipe, or 82mm soil pipe) through the transom, seal it in place and stick the trunk to the bit that protrudes out of the back of the transom. Others, eg Ribcraft & Avon, line the hole with GRP and use a trunk with a flange which is screwed to the outside of the transom.
Whichever way you decide to do it, cut the hole out with a good sharp core cutter. If you decide to use some pipe to line the hole, then drill the hole horizontal, rather than perpendicular to the transom face, to keep the trunks horizontal when deployed. Stick the pipe in place with plenty of Sikaflex, to prevent any water ingress.
If, on the other hand, you decide to use a trunk with a flange, then the angle of the hole cut out is less important. In this instance, I would cut some 2" wide strips of chopped strand mat and lay up 2 layers inside the hole against the plywood core, then finish it off with some flowcoat.
I think I explained it far better than you did
Old 13 November 2009, 12:43   #20

Town: Salisbury/Poole
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Also don't forget to Mask the area and to drill from both sides to prevent the gel coat "Scabbing" i.e when the centre drill "Pilot" is through let the hole saw cut slowly on one side for a few Mil's then cut through from the other side, if that all make sense
Oh and yes take is slooowly