Town: Seil Island
Boat name: Ron Mor
Make: Delta
Length: 5m +
MMSI: 235116643
Retro-fitting a drainage sump

Hi all,

Been a while since posting.

I have a Delta 5.5m. I have it coded to Cat 3 (restricted) and use it for various jobs, summer and winter. It pretty much lives on its mooring.

I fitted a Rule 500 autopump to keep the rainwater levels down, otherwise the boat would just be full of water after a week of rain up here. The battery is topped up with a small solar panel and the setup works great. The battery is nicely juiced up even after a couple of weeks of inactivity with heavy rain. Nearly 2 years and still working.

The one bugbear I have is the flat, sumpless deck of the Delta. It never gets dry as the rule pump can't suck the last few litres of water up.. There is always a small puddle of water following you around as you work around the boat while at rest. It also greens up the deck and just lets the boat down a bit, I'm sure you know what I mean. I know I can live with it if needed, but I'd love to find a way to fit in a small drainage sump for the rule pump (or alternative) to sit in.

But frankly, I'm bricking it to cut into the deck of the Delta and ruin it.

Anyone done a similar job or heard of it being done?
Old 18 November 2018, 11:17   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
If the water always lies in the same place, a large sump won't be necessary. You could sink a round depression into the deck for the pump to sit it. Perhaps mould around a polythene bucket and set it into the deck. However you do it you'll need to plan carefully how to avoid a wee rise as you blend into the deck or you'll always have a slightly higher rim and therefore a puddle.

I presume your deck is below outside water level - just checking...
Old 18 November 2018, 11:50   #3

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Had the same issue with my Osprey until I asked M.Witham to install me a deep sump .
Used to sleep sometimes on the deck of the boat and woke up in Scotland few times with the feed in the water cause the pumps could not get it out .
Best investment ever .

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pUg3owyEueW3P81h6
Old 18 November 2018, 16:04   #4

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
A picture might help. It depends how much space you have below really, if you cut a hole in the hull it’s gonna let a little water in. Is your deck ply, with grp in top?
Old 18 November 2018, 16:15   #5

Town: Liverpool
Length: no boat
We cut a square hole at the stern close to the mid line about a foot square. We had a stainless plate welded up with a sump about 3 inches deep in it. put a good quality pump in and voila....The Delta dash deck looks like 3/4 in ply...Were actually working on ours at the mo as were putting a thro hull depth in under the stainless plate. Took it out for sea trials yesterday...30mph,plenty of white water around...depth reading was rock solid. Well chuffed
Nik