Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL
PS New Atlantic 85 - How much money do the RNLI have????
Steady!

If the RNLI think that their boys (and girls) need a new class of RIB, that's fine by me.

Would you be willing to risk your life to save some moron who puts to sea without proper safety equipment?

Chris.

Old 26 September 2005, 14:48   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Murray
Steady!

If the RNLI think that their boys (and girls) need a new class of RIB, that's fine by me.

Would you be willing to risk your life to save some moron who puts to sea without proper safety equipment?

Chris.

Yes but there ARE limits - if the RNLI aren't careful people will start thinking "they have too much cash"!!!

The vast majority of rescues these days are carried out on nice days by inshore lifeboats - with the improvement in commercial shipping and navaids etc do they REALLY need boats like this???

How on earth did they use to manage a few years ago?? Still seemed pretty good to me!!!

Old 26 September 2005, 14:58   #3

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Yes but there ARE limits - if the RNLI aren't careful people will start thinking "they have too much cash"!!!

The vast majority of rescues these days are carried out on nice days by inshore lifeboats - with the improvement in commercial shipping and navaids etc do they REALLY need boats like this???

How on earth did they use to manage a few years ago?? Still seemed pretty good to me!!!
Sorry Codprawn, I don't agree that there are (or should be) limits.

Just because many of the "shouts" might occur on good days, doesn't alter the fact that the RNLI crews are prepared to go out in extremely hazardous conditions to save lives.

If better equipment exists then IMHO, they should go for it!

Regards,

Chris.
Old 26 September 2005, 15:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Murray
Sorry Codprawn, I don't agree that there are (or should be) limits.

Just because many of the "shouts" might occur on good days, doesn't alter the fact that the RNLI crews are prepared to go out in extremely hazardous conditions to save lives.

If better equipment exists then IMHO, they should go for it!

Regards,

Chris.
What about replacing every lifeboat with a helicopter or a nuclear submarine then - see there HAVE to be limits!!!
Old 26 September 2005, 15:36   #5

Don't get me wrong - if they have a justifiable reason for it fair enough - for example the use of hovercraft in places like Morecombe bay is a great idea - the Burry Estuary needs one as well.....

Their new training college is a good example - how did they manage up until now without it??? Also why build it in an area where land is so expensive??? Surely they could have built it somewhere else for a lot less money - Sunseeker have far less impressive premises!!!

I always give to the RNLI but I have come to realise there are loads of really good independent outfits that really struggle - didn't realise that until I joined Ribnet!!!
Old 26 September 2005, 15:50   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I always give to the RNLI but I have come to realise there are loads of really good independent outfits that really struggle - didn't realise that until I joined Ribnet!!!
like this one!
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2005, 16:27   #7

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
I personally think that the rescue services give a fantastic service and they need good reliable kit, we can all think of extreme cases of kit they could not justify like nuk subs etc, but, at what price for the saving of life, if a new faster boat means they can be there quicker and save a kid then i am all up for it. They may buy kit that we think is extravagent and flash but i would like to think they get it for trade price and they do look after their equipment so i expect they spend their money wisely.

Never called em and hope i dont have to but if i did i would hope they had the best of everything to increase my chances......
Old 27 September 2005, 05:17   #8
CJL

Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm
like this one!

Oh right that will be the lifeboat that T boned me just off the entrance to Cowes!

Chris
Old 27 September 2005, 05:47   #9

Town: Fleet
Boat name: Mollie J
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115HP Suzuki
MMSI: 235021476
Atlantic 85

I seem to recall that the display stated that the cost of the new Atlantic 85 was 115K (it might have been 125k).

Is that unreasonable? Standard twin 115HP engines would cost 15-16K, to make them restart after inversion? Double it. The electronics? Say 20-30K, 20K for the hull. It soon adds up to a tidy sum, and I for one don't begrudge it to them.

On the Show though, boring! The exhibits were almost all the same as the previous "n" years, and with the exception of the Sunseekers in almost exactly the same places. The chandlers were not offering any significant discounts either - perhaps they did Sunday p.m.

One thing caught my eye though. The rib with wheels which could be driven (allegedly) down the beach, into the water, and off. I'd love to try it.

Russell
Old 27 September 2005, 05:59   #10

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL
Oh right that will be the lifeboat that T boned me just off the entrance to Cowes!
Interesting... tell us more. Was it your port or starbord side?

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote