Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton
In my opinion as a RNLI crew member
Yeah.... but the local coppers still hate ya....

... they know yer not local.....don't they?
Old 29 September 2005, 10:12   #62

Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
We obviously have different values, how can you think that a 23' rib at £125k is very cheap.

What on earth is the spec of such a boat that it can command such a price, or is it a case of think of a number and double it!
As a crew member I want the best kit and why should'nt I what I said was that in my veiw The boat is perfect So 125k for a perfect boat is cheep

QUOTE=Jono Garton] No - RNLI Volunteers do get paid, not much, more of a inconvience payment. I think we get Paid £6 if you are on the boat and £3 if you are shore crew.

In my opinion as a RNLI crew member (so probably one sided) the RNLI is a great service (one of the best in the world). Before the new college the RNLI sent crew members to externa training centres - fleetwood etc costing allot of money. [/QUOTE]

keith good to hear your veiws regarding the venterers

The trainning involed on the crew is basicly start again learning somthing new So even if you are an experianced mariner you will still start the trainning at the same point as the farmer
Old 29 September 2005, 10:22   #63

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Agggg!!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2005, 11:18   #64

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Something that's been bothering me for a bit and I noticed a lot when we were helping the RNLI do thier liferaft demo at the boat show ............. why are the Atlantics tubes so far out of the water, I would have thought the added stability at rest from having the tubes closer to the water would be a big help?

If one crew member shifts thier weight across the boat only a little it must try to steer the boat as well?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2005, 11:31   #65

Town: Tampere
Make: Atlantic 21, Avon SR4.0
Length: 6,9 m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI x2
A85 and lifeboats

Interesting discussion. I have driven all Atlantic RIBs and currently coxswain of A21. I also tested A85 recently. The boat is really well built and equipped better than any RIB of it's size ever built. 125k is not a exceptional price even though much higher that "wanna-be" commercial workboats like Delta and Tornado. But if you take a price from ZHT, Halmatic or Boomeranger with similar equipment, the final sum may be even higher. One have to understand the difference between an ultimate workboat RIB and light commercial versions. Then the 125k price is not bad at all.

I can send you a link to our newbuilding RIB lifeboat with 7,4 m hull. I just came back from seatrials and the boat is pretty impressive. Price is not cheap, but less than A85. With 8,3 metre hull, the cost would not be far from RNLI A85.
Old 29 September 2005, 14:07   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitkis
Interesting discussion. I have driven all Atlantic RIBs and currently coxswain of A21. I also tested A85 recently. The boat is really well built and equipped better than any RIB of it's size ever built. 125k is not a exceptional price even though much higher that "wanna-be" commercial workboats like Delta and Tornado. But if you take a price from ZHT, Halmatic or Boomeranger with similar equipment, the final sum may be even higher. One have to understand the difference between an ultimate workboat RIB and light commercial versions. Then the 125k price is not bad at all.

I can send you a link to our newbuilding RIB lifeboat with 7,4 m hull. I just came back from seatrials and the boat is pretty impressive. Price is not cheap, but less than A85. With 8,3 metre hull, the cost would not be far from RNLI A85.
Pitkis - Does the new boat have its tubes so far out of the water as well? Any comment about stability at rest with them like this? I would be interested in that link as well if that's ok?

Thanks,
Old 29 September 2005, 19:55   #67

Town: Tampere
Make: Atlantic 21, Avon SR4.0
Length: 6,9 m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI x2
RIB photos

Cookee, here you are: http://www.pitkajarvi.1g.fi/kuvat/Class_2_lifeboat_RIB/

Tubes are closer to water in this boat I think, I have only fast driving photos right now available that hard to compare. The boat is really great, needs of course adjustment regarding the details but the hull is in general very seaworthy.
Old 30 September 2005, 20:56   #68
CND

Town: UK
Boat name: Searider Something !
Length: 6m +
MMSI: witheld number
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL
I always fail to see why the RNLI is not disbanded and a navy type organisation is set up.

It could provide a rescue service, a border patrol, fisheries enforcement, environmental protection and many others.

It would be a lot cheaper to roll these services into one and take the very vital role of rescue off a volunteer organisation. (we have a government funded fire/rescue/ambulance service for on the land why not at sea?)

Now that is a good idea - plus it will get you lot talking

Chris
Yeah! Give the RNLI Guns and then point them in the direction of some unsuspecting foreign fisherman! Keeping up international relations!

Old 30 September 2005, 20:59   #69
CND

Town: UK
Boat name: Searider Something !
MMSI: witheld number
I would like to add, that these Boomeranger RIBs are really good looking boats! If anybody wants to organise a trip to see all this cool stuff in scandanavia id be well up for a trip!
Old 01 October 2005, 19:19   #70

Town: Swanmore nr Fareham
Boat name: Greyhound
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911
couldnt agree more - bought my first boat and kitted it out with all the safety gear I could lay my hands on - the local sea check chap turned up (for free) and talked through a whole series of "what ifs" - some of which I'd thought of and some of which wouldnt even of crossed my mind...highly recommended.
I second that - Had my first seacheck done last friday - very helpful chap, pointed out some very useful stuff and they leave you with a check list so you don't forget.

No hard sell if you having joined the rnli either (I have)
Stuart M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2005, 07:47   #71

Chatted to a lifeboat guy recently - the new Atlantic that was at SIBS was so high out of the water (it wasn't completely rigged so would be heavier in service) was a nightmare to drive because it wandered all over the place if someone moved on the boat and made it tip one way or the other.

The boat was apparently chosen because it was the only one that didn't break and nothing to do with much else! Surely not the best way to choose a new £120,000 boat that will be in service saving lives for years .............. or have I got the wrong information?
Old 03 October 2005, 12:19   #72

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
There was a write up in this issue of Lifeboat mag on the construction of the 85, they appear to have saved 200kgs in wieght off the hull. I'm sure they'll sort it out. If not the vigourous and workpersonlike feedback will be something to behold.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2005, 12:56   #73

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B
There was a write up in this issue of Lifeboat mag on the construction of the 85, they appear to have saved 200kgs in wieght off the hull. I'm sure they'll sort it out. If not the vigourous and workpersonlike feedback will be something to behold.
Saved 200kgs - great - lets just hope they will last as long as the old ones did.
Old 03 October 2005, 13:11   #74

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
So what happened to them Codders??
I'm not sure exactly how much time at sea the boats have, they do some sort of ground up rebuild of all boats at some point.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2005, 13:37   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B
So what happened to them Codders??
I'm not sure exactly how much time at sea the boats have, they do some sort of ground up rebuild of all boats at some point.
I meant the old designs.....
Old 03 October 2005, 19:04   #76

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I believe they contain a carbon composite material. But there's feck all equipment carried that has big weight and they are an 8ish meter hull. I'm not surprised they float a little high.
Old 04 October 2005, 07:04   #77

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Built by SP Systems on the Isle of Wight www.spsystems.com put through there paces by the engineers at East Cowes who's job it is to break them if they can before letting the crew's loose on them , they are amazing bits of kit think they are running with twin Yamaha 115 hp, do sit high but I suppose when recovering a casualty over the side this could have an advantage as the freeboard will be reduced due to the heeling effect .
Old 04 October 2005, 13:18   #78

I was quite suprised to see they are running "inversion proofed 4 strokes" - that must have been a hell of a lot harder to do than with a 2 stroke. Wonder if they are dry sumped - engines don't like to be restarted for a while if the oil has drained from the sump.

Also the dangers from water bending conrods etc is far higher with a 4 stroke - wonder if they got Barrus to do the work on the new engines???
Old 04 October 2005, 14:18   #79
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
We are offering the Icelandic rescue team this Valiant PT-650 rescue version.

Bogi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0102.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	14800   Click image for larger version

Name:	104.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	14801   Click image for larger version

Name:	106.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	14802  
Old 05 October 2005, 12:02   #80

Town: Falmouth
Make: Yamaha
Length: no boat
Engine: 30hp
offthe shelf doesnt work

when the RNLI wer trialing new boats to take over from the atlantic 85 they trialed, Halmatic, avon, Valiant, redbay and a few others and none of them had as gud a spec at the end of the trials as the RNLI in house designed boats, plus RNLI boat requirements dont match up with any current comercial provider