Old 28 September 2005, 15:15   #41

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Damn I wanted one - when are they getting rid of it??? Would be interesting to have my baby boat vetted!!! Really wanted a check over for my proper rib though!!!
Old 28 September 2005, 15:17   #42

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
sea checks

couldnt agree more - bought my first boat and kitted it out with all the safety gear I could lay my hands on and thought that navy experience would see me through most things - the local sea check chap turned up (for free) and talked through a whole series of "what ifs" - some of which I'd thought of and some of which wouldnt even of crossed my mind...highly recommended.
Old 28 September 2005, 15:39   #43

Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
no codders i am not dirceting my comment to you or anyone in particular .

but on this fourm a few times people have bashed the rnli and i dont think its fair to critisies from you computer when those lads and lases die for people

those are my thoughts , as to there welth i know the reson they built the new collage was the goverment told them to spend some dosh or loose ther charity status

so they spent millions on the buildings , they already owan the land so no one would sell prime develpment land and move from there to a less desirble place

that would not be in the best intrest of the charity for the future

now when you go into ther thecnical department and see what goes on in that office, you realise how they look at the bigger picture
Old 28 September 2005, 15:47   #44

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Maybe the RNLI are just TOO good!!!
Old 28 September 2005, 16:30   #45
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
This is getting me a bit irate. Ignore the bits that don't apply to yourselves here but:-

1) The RNLI are a CHARITY. They provide an exceptional service for FREE and rely on donations.

2)The crews are VOLUNTEERS. They do it for free.
With the mess the EU has made of this country's fishing industry I doubt there are many 'seagoing professionals' who can AFFORD to give the time to volunteer.

3) If they can afford to spend £125k on state of the art rescue boats then maybe, just maybe this is an indication of QUITE HOW MUCH PEOPLE APPRECIATE THEM. I know I do.I donate on a fairly regular basis. If I lived on the coast I'd volunteer.

4)The organisation was set up to rescue MARINERS-NOT whining pleasure-boaters that want to analyse everything about them and find fault.Think yourself lucky they come out for you at all. I suspect these same whining pleasure-boaters are the same ones who will send a bill for their lost boat after they make a complete twat of themselves and end up being rescued.

Rant over. Where's gARF?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2005, 16:39   #46

Length: no boat
Old 28 September 2005, 17:12   #47
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Its interesting see that the adverse criticism I mentioned in one line has produced such a response.

The £100k or so is the tip of the iceberg, just think, R & D time, Construction and testing.

Can I not question how a charity spends it money? Surely the organisation should be as cost effcient as possible with its money?

It is a reality that you can put a price on life and its a little depressing when you start looking into this.

BUT

No bodies life is worth 3 others.

Perhaps EVERYBODY should consider that when passage planning.
Old 28 September 2005, 17:32   #48

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
2)The crews are VOLUNTEERS. They do it for free.
In the interests of a balanced debate.. is the above statement strictly true?

Personally, speaking I would much rather, as someone who goes to sea, be required to contribute to a professionally paid service. Just my opinion…
Old 28 September 2005, 18:08   #49
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono

Personally, speaking I would much rather, as someone who goes to sea, be required to contribute to a professionally paid service. Just my opinion…

Yeah, that'd be a REALLY good idea- when it goes into liquidation because no-one paid then people could all bitch about it as they drown.

of course, we could have a government run service... Cutbacks anyone? Beancounters? No, we rarely overturn them....let's do without the self-righting gear and the immersion-proof engines. We just won't go out in anything above force 4. People rarely get in trouble above force 4 anyway... Pass the astrolabe...

Sarcastic, moi?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2005, 18:35   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
Yeah, that'd be a REALLY good idea- when it goes into liquidation because no-one paid then people could all bitch about it as they drown.

of course, we could have a government run service... Cutbacks anyone? Beancounters? No, we rarely overturn them....let's do without the self-righting gear and the immersion-proof engines. We just won't go out in anything above force 4. People rarely get in trouble above force 4 anyway... Pass the astrolabe...

Sarcastic, moi?
Nice to see such a reasoned argument against a "professional" rescue service. Loaded with reason and evidence. Just what I like to see...

.. now THAT'S sarcasm...
Old 28 September 2005, 18:40   #51

He's got a point about a potential Govt run service though....Braziers @ the slipway? Honk if you're with us? etc etc.
Old 28 September 2005, 18:48   #52

Town: helston
Boat name: pressman
Make: Carson 900
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 370 yanmar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVA
i totaly agree with dounut

i think anyone that critises the rnli should talk to one of ther next of kin
and see what comitment means,

little less rnli bashing on here would not go a miss

Id agree with that one!!

My husband is a cox/mech of an alb. It is his full time job, along with training twice a week he is on call 24/7 bar 2 weekends a month He cannot go more than spitting distance whilst on call.

Commitment??
Old 28 September 2005, 19:03   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressman

Commitment??
Choice?
Old 28 September 2005, 19:05   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
He's got a point about a potential Govt run service though....Braziers @ the slipway? Honk if you're with us? etc etc.
Just a bunch of greedy fire-fighters being manipulated by their "union" leader.... Sorry, they don't realise quite how good their lot actually is compared to the real world...
Old 28 September 2005, 19:07   #55

Town: helston
Boat name: pressman
Make: Carson 900
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 370 yanmar
I agree it his choice he enjoys the job, but still quite a commitment.
Old 28 September 2005, 20:16   #56

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Choice?
Yes, choice. The decision to commit such time is down to choice, however if people are prepared to do that, I can only respect them more. That 24/7 on call, over time, adds up to more training and experience than people on this forum could ever wish for from a charitable emergency response service, and I hope that should you ever require their service you wil respect their choice. The choice made has clearly been made in the interests of everyone else, not the individual crew member/coxswain, and I admire that selflessness.

I've never called upon the coastguard/rnli, as I've never needed to. However I still make regular donations in an effort to ensure that the people prepared to put the safety of other water users above their own lives (both in a physical and social sense) are at least able to do it in suitable, and high quality kit.

Seems some people just need something new to moan about every month.
Old 28 September 2005, 20:48   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
sod the Government, they'd look to make cost savings in the RNLI just to buy more bullets for Iraq.
That get's my vote!
Old 28 September 2005, 21:27   #58

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Yes, can you you imagine the RNLI being absorbed into the civil service, than privatised... Group4 or someone running it!

Nate, that's quite an entertaining post... I'm not a great fan of idealised models, but if you read that one in a philosophical frame of mind it works well.

Now, I wonder where every RIBnet member would place themselves on your scale of 1 to 5?

I reckon I'm a 2 struggling to reach 3!

A couple of thoughts...

I've made a career from working with experienced people.... unfortunately their experience was mostly bad!

Arriving at a new pastime on the water at the age of 35, I quickly realised that I couldn't pick things up as quickly as a youngster. However, good quality training was invaluable as a "jump start" and seven years later I value both the training and the experience.

And to conclude this little gem(!) from me, I'll refer to a little bit of codprawn's verbal diaorrhoea... do you know what the first stage of the Mountain Leadersip Certificate is? Well I'll tell you, it's "Gain personal Experience".

I thank you. Goodnight.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2005, 08:05   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Yes, choice. The decision to commit such time is down to choice, however if people are prepared to do that, I can only respect them more. That 24/7 on call, over time, adds up to more training and experience than people on this forum could ever wish for from a charitable emergency response service, and I hope that should you ever require their service you wil respect their choice. The choice made has clearly been made in the interests of everyone else, not the individual crew member/coxswain, and I admire that selflessness.

I've never called upon the coastguard/rnli, as I've never needed to. However I still make regular donations in an effort to ensure that the people prepared to put the safety of other water users above their own lives (both in a physical and social sense) are at least able to do it in suitable, and high quality kit.

Seems some people just need something new to moan about every month.
Firstly, Jimbo, I'm not "moaning" about anything, so I presume that remark was not aimed at me? I contribute to the RNLI (offshore member thingy, or whatever it's called) and a good friend and erstwhile colleague, of mine is a crewmember on a Welsh lifeboat… (wait ‘til they find out he’s English ).
My point is two-fold, firstly I think that the RNLI should be a full time, nationally funded (by some form of “sea tax”) which would, I hope, mean personnel would train everyday, much as they are supposed to in the Fire-service, giving them more chance in an emergency situation.
Secondly, having served on a station with so called “volunteers” as well as full time crews; I am extremely sceptical when people claim that they are “doing it for the good of others”. That’s just my opinion, based on my experience of retained fire fighters, retained Ambulance crews and “special” Constables. I’m sure that we will disagree on this, but if we all held the same views the world wouldn’t be very exciting would it?
Old 29 September 2005, 08:29   #60

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 250hp
Quote:
No - RNLI Volunteers do get paid, not much, more of a inconvience payment.

In my opinion as a RNLI crew member (so probably one sided) the RNLI is a great service (one of the best in the world). Before the new college the RNLI sent crew members to externa training centres - fleetwood etc costing allot of money.