Old 27 September 2005, 15:45   #21

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Seems like a reasonable summary to me, Jim!

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2005, 15:48   #22

Length: no boat
And I. Speak to any French yachtsman about their rescue services!

Old 27 September 2005, 15:56   #23

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Yep - they want your card number before they come out, don't they? Or do they pass the swipe machine down with the tow rope?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2005, 16:06   #24

Town: Coventry
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha 115 4stroke
'Their new training college is a good example - how did they manage up until now without it??? Also why build it in an area where land is so expensive??? Surely they could have built it somewhere else for a lot less money - Sunseeker have far less impressive premises!!!'(someone elses quote)

The new headquarters /training college is about people at the top empire building , it goes on in any organisation ,and may well be an extravagance.However that should not be confused with providing the people on the front line with the best and safest,for them and us,equipment available.If they think that the Atlantic 85 is it then that is fine by me. [/QUOTE]

Just to clear up any confusion ,the first paragraph of this post was a quote from somebody elses post earlier in the thread and for some reason it did not register as such .
I make regular donations to the RNLI and was actually trying to be supportive of the organisation, if you read my full post then i hoped that would be clear. As for my comment about the headquarters i stand corrected by the later posts .
Rob.C
Old 27 September 2005, 16:13   #25

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Yep - they want your card number before they come out, don't they? Or do they pass the swipe machine down with the tow rope?
That's about the size of it. I believe there were several incidents this year involving french yachts who put themselves in quite serious danger in UK waters rather than call for assistance on Ch 16 because they thought the system was the same! Had a close look at the French lifeboat in Cap de la Hague and while it looks sturdy enough, just didn't have the kit. RNLI is the envy of the world and is quite unique.

However, I do believe we've now reached a stage, at least in the Solent, where you can get yourself swamped in the rush to be rescued! There are some very serious rescue efforts out there quite apart from the RNLI like that extremely serious black & orange twin outboard RIB effort that was very busy on Cowes Fireworks day/eve. Is that the Hamble boat?
Old 28 September 2005, 04:30   #26

Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Atlantic 85

The RNLI have been known to waste money from time to time but this boat is an example of how to do it right. The concept of the 85 is an off the shelf stretched atlantic 21 although no completly the same bare with me.

The atlantic 21 was replaced by the atlantic 75 witch is a stretched version of the 21 but with the bow tanks and the extra deck space was a much beter boat. The 85 is a strected version of the 75.

The equipment this boat can carry will mean that it is capable of doing jobs that an inshore boat has not been able to do befour.

I will not say this to often but I belive that the RNLI have built the perfect tool for the job And at £125,000 it is very cheep.
Old 28 September 2005, 04:52   #27

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
.....However, I do believe we've now reached a stage, at least in the Solent, where you can get yourself swamped in the rush to be rescued!........
The BBC are trying to record a ‘fly on the wall’ documentary about the activities of Solent based SAR helicopter (India Juliet I think) and I gather that they have been struggling to get any juice rescues because of the competition with other Solent based groups By the time they turn up the event is over Des
Old 28 September 2005, 05:24   #28
CJL

Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I always fail to see why the RNLI is not disbanded and a navy type organisation is set up.

It could provide a rescue service, a border patrol, fisheries enforcement, environmental protection and many others.

It would be a lot cheaper to roll these services into one and take the very vital role of rescue off a volunteer organisation. (we have a government funded fire/rescue/ambulance service for on the land why not at sea?)

Now that is a good idea - plus it will get you lot talking

Chris
Old 28 September 2005, 06:13   #29

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
not a bad idea, but I dont think it would be a cheaper or practical solution -the cost of having permament crews afloat or ashore ready to respond to incidents all accross the uk (there's got to be 00's of rnli stations) would be prohibitively expensive. Just consider the cost of keeping one patrol vessel in service over the course of a year and then multiply this by the number of these you would need.. In practice, the RN already covers a high percentage of SAR work through the Naval Air Stations at Culdrose and Preswick, manages all fishery protection except in scotland, an element of border control and environmental activity in addition to global committments and with tony blair at the helm the number of hulls has already been reduced to a level where the fleet and people are at breaking point....
Old 28 September 2005, 06:27   #30
CJL

Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Ooooooh

We've been moderated!!!

C