Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 February 2010, 15:27   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
Rescue me.

There are a number of members on the forum that are involved in rescue services.

When trying to find a rib at sea what colour would the best colour to be seen.

On a clear day choppy seas.

Orange or another colour?
__________________

__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2010, 15:33   #2
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
You'd be surprised at how well black shows up. I'd guess that yellow isn't so easy to see.
__________________

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2010, 15:38   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
black

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
You'd be surprised at how well black shows up. I'd guess that yellow isn't so easy to see.
Yes that was a colour i never expected.
__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2010, 15:44   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar View Post
Yes that was a colour i never expected.
Yes, odd, but nonetheless favoured by pot haulers and techie divers for marker buoys. Yellow is crap, IMHO. Obviously black is useless at night/dusk. I had to do an "MOB" on a black beanie just last week - it stood out well at 100m.
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2010, 15:50   #5
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Orange is pretty good but even then some oranges can be dull.
I've painted the gearbox on my outboard dayglo orange and put relective tape on the bow in case I go upside down.
A couple of orange smokes is your best bet.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2010, 15:56   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
reflective tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Orange is pretty good but even then some oranges can be dull.
I've painted the gearbox on my outboard dayglo orange and put relective tape on the bow in case I go upside down.
A couple of orange smokes is your best bet.
reflective tape The R.N.L.I. have reflective tape on the highest parts of the hull 3 or 4 small strips..
Is this for a safety reason if the rib was upside down ?
__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2010, 16:06   #7
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar View Post
reflective tape The R.N.L.I. have reflective tape on the highest parts of the hull 3 or 4 small strips..
Is this for a safety reason if the rib was upside down ?
If the boat is upside down the tape makes it alot easier to see. It suprising how well the tape pics light up.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2010, 08:13   #8
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
there have been thoughts in the future about changing the rnli boats from orange to yellow as with certain conditions yellow is the better colour,,dont forget rnli crew suits are yellow or musto gold ,,could be why cardinal bouys are yellow too and the vast majority of gas lifejackets when they are inflated .,,,,,,yes and even the smallest rnli inflatable boats have reflective tape on the underside ,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S1031300.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	48978  
__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2010, 08:53   #9
Member
 
havener's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Far west!
Boat name: Vigilant
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 505
The best colours for seeing are contrasting - e.g. yellow and black (think of wasps). It also depends on your vantage point, and the area concerned - the north sea is pretty much grey, so orange works well especially from helicopters. There is a simple reason offshore helos have white and red banding on the underside - it's easier to spot when upside down!

Yellow on its own is pretty useless, international orange is about the best.
__________________
havener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2010, 09:24   #10
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by havener View Post
The best colours for seeing are contrasting - e.g. yellow and black (think of wasps). It also depends on your vantage point, and the area concerned - the north sea is pretty much grey, so orange works well especially from helicopters. There is a simple reason offshore helos have white and red banding on the underside - it's easier to spot when upside down!

Yellow on its own is pretty useless, international orange is about the best.
So why are RAF Seakings Yellow?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.