Old 12 August 2004, 23:56   #81

Town: Gillingham, Kent
Boat name: Viper
Make: Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-rude Outboard 125
Gentlemen

May I interject at this point?

I know I have no green blobs, nor have I attended the many rib raids, nor get togethers.

I have however spent a few years at sea, in both smooth and rough, during peace time and other....

I was told as a very young midshipman - "The sea is a good slave but a bad master". This statement has stuck with me for many years, however, as most of us keep saying on this forum and others (that shall remain nameless ) we never stop learning.

Alan & crew - Im glad that you all survived - I for one was shocked re the occurences, I saw it first on the MCGA website (being a sad coastie who looks on it regularly). Your professionalism saved lives, I for one look forward to meeting you one day.

As my signature says - putting to sea is optional, coming back is mandatory - glad to see you followed the rules Alan. A sad loss, but you can replace her with something a bit special (Only guessing..... ).

Let us not cast bad mouthings, let us learn from this - yes its fun on the water - but it can be a bit scary out there.

I for one salute you and your crew. Welcome ashore!

Bob

Putting to sea is optional: Returning is essential!
Bobaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2004, 09:32   #82
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
TO Scarydes and Gentiana

I have never read such Crap

You two, mush have to ask every morning, which side of your trousers, your underware should go on!!!!!!

Please read DIRK DIGGLERS line at the bottom of his posts, ITs applicable here!
Old 13 August 2004, 11:32   #83

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos
That is quite a lot of miles

MMmmnn! yes, massive amount of miles.

Just roughly speaking, how was all this mileage covered? bearing in mind the times the boat has been laid up, such as in Canada for months, and I've no doubt lots of other times too, so the average weekly mileage is actually way higher than 1000 miles per week, every week,for four years!

Just interested, as it's very impressive.
Old 13 August 2004, 11:46   #84

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Engine: Optimax 225
How far is it round the world?
Old 13 August 2004, 11:53   #85

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat
How far is it round the world?
bout 30k innit
Old 13 August 2004, 12:05   #86

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM
I have never read such Crap

You two, mush have to ask every morning, which side of your trousers, your underware should go on!!!!!!
Thanks for your constructive comments Tim it helps to hear from all sides.

Reading through the various posts on the thread I get the feeling that people think I don’t like Alan, that is not the case, the one time I met him I found him a friendly and interested person. What I don’t like is the way he comes across on this forum. His belittling arrogant attitude stifles debate and does nothing to further peoples understanding of RIBS. My comment were intended to provoke discussion but instead started a slanging match which does no one any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missus
Des would it be possible to enlarge that catalogue of possibilities to include unfortunate coincidences, unusual natural events etc. ???

Just asking. Perhaps the sea does not always respect the best of man-made draughtsmanship, planning & engineering...or seafaring techniques for that matter? I agree that we can all learn a lot from the facts. Peter has asked some helpful questions.........Missus
Missus I take your point, but when buildings fall over it is always the design that is to blamed even if it is caused by an 'unusual natural events'.
As I’ve said before I am only trying to provoke reasoned debate and as you have said we will learn a lot from the facts.
Des
Old 13 August 2004, 15:09   #87

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller
MMmmnn! yes, massive amount of miles.

Just roughly speaking, how was all this mileage covered? bearing in mind the times the boat has been laid up, such as in Canada for months, and I've no doubt lots of other times too, so the average weekly mileage is actually way higher than 1000 miles per week, every week,for four years!

Just interested, as it's very impressive.
Twelve months testing in the North Sea
Two trans Atlantics
Three Around Britains
One Around The British Isles
One Cardiff Monaco
One Around the World
etc etc although not to many channel crossings
Or 50 hours of running a time per week.

Alan P
Old 13 August 2004, 15:10   #88
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Engine: OPTI 225
TO Gentiana

EEERRR

Sorry for Taring you with the same brush as Scary Des, I miss read your post. I hope you will forgive me, and realise I made a simple mistake.
Old 14 August 2004, 07:05   #89

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy
Jono
Whats make you think that any of the "Tube experts " know more than me.
Alan P
Alan i did not think for one second that a "Tube Expert" knows more than you. But you obviously do not class yourself as a "Tube Expert" by your comments in the quote above.

So in answer to peteb's question, the tubes were not examined by a "Tube Expert"

In a post earlier on in this thread somone posted a picture of the tubes being repaired on the rtw attempt. What happend with the tubes then?
Old 15 August 2004, 08:26   #90

Town: Sheerness
Boat name: TBA
Make: Parker
Engine: Mercruiser
regards

Well what a debate ............ I have only met said Mr Priddy on one occasion which was Ribex earlier this year along with a couple of his crew members.
Whilst he dismissed me and then took a demonstrator of ours out for a spin leaving me on the quayside ! I see why some of you draw to conclusion an opinion of a person. but hey being proffessional person I am , Personal viewpoints should remain personal should they not ?

Regardless of all peoples thoughts of why it happenned and boy have i heard a few such as 4th time round blah blah blah ,whales , all asleep ....took all sponsors kit off first.............hit iceland ......insurance special......Mortgage payment due .....yeah yeah yeah whatever.

Alan there are simply many people who for wahtever reason want to knock you most though , many who are from this forum are to scared to print their viewpoints !

I am new to the Rib sector of the boating world although I have been in the marine industry as a skipper for many years .I still have the deepest respect for the achievements you have made. I too have made numerous translantic crossings and experienced most things and I can relate to things going wrong.

As some of you may be aware we too have just finished a trip in our own Parker Rib ( see baltic cruise ) and whilst conditions were favourable things could have easily gone the other way.Would you all have said the same about us ?

I have never read and heard such a load of drivel and dross in all my life. I guess many who criticise this guys achievments have never crossed a duck pond yet alone been to sea.

I do not want to side with the said Mr priddy as I have my own personal viewpoints which shall remain that way however regardless of what this guy does , has done , you cannot take a viewpoint with out being there first hand and understanding.

Instead of heckling from the stalls get out there and do it yourselves !

Whoops ..........just fell off my soapbox

Now on the Subject of parker Ribs Mr Priddy ........can I quote you on a new one ?
Old 15 August 2004, 09:53   #91

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
Now on the Subject of parker Ribs Mr Priddy ........can I quote you on a new one ?
a VERY GOOD SALES PERSON
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2004, 11:04   #92

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
David B. Thank you for your kind words and I am sorry that "I left you on the quayside" in Cowes. In my defense, Andre asked me to sea trial the cabin boat with his sales team and I had no idea you where with them. I trust you had a good time on your trip to the Baltic. the distances that some boat owners are now covering is a testimony to the advances that have been made in the marine market. It would be nice if some of the other boat builders followed suit and built, shall we say, better boats? Alan P
Old 15 August 2004, 17:22   #93

Town: Sheerness
Boat name: TBA
Make: Parker
Engine: Mercruiser
Hope things work out in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy
David B. Thank you for your kind words and I am sorry that "I left you on the quayside" in Cowes. In my defense, Andre asked me to sea trial the cabin boat with his sales team and I had no idea you where with them. I trust you had a good time on your trip to the Baltic. the distances that some boat owners are now covering is a testimony to the advances that have been made in the marine market. It would be nice if some of the other boat builders followed suit and built, shall we say, better boats? Alan P
Hi thanks for the post.............was not really offended by being left on the quay , was more put out by your dismissal of the Picture of me vertical in the 10 mt cabin rib. It was a staged photo I never normally go out and do such a thing ! however it took quite a feat to get her out like we did

I think on a personal note ( although I did say i would keep my opinions to myself ) that you have achieved a hell of a lot , you speak your mind and are not afraid to spell out the truth..........in my book its bloody shame others cannot accept you for yourself and the truly remarkable feats you have undertaken in your craft even if your are a bit outspoken.

Re Baltic trip yes it was really good and forgeting the sales speil the hullperformed in a superb manner.Parker will be a name to look out for in 2005 especially with the development we are putting in to the ranges.

Ever want a good crew member / navigator , helmsman call me ........Parker Poland can give you good references

Now about that quote for the new Parker 10 mt blah blah..............
oh and Hi Manos long time no hear !!!

Kind regards

David Butler