Old 23 November 2014, 17:45   #1

Town: Cardiff
Length: 4m +
Replacement steering cable

Hi all,

This is my first post, so first let me introduce myself! My name's Rich and I'm very new to RIBs and boating in general - I did my RYA PB2 over the summer and got a bit of a taste for it. I've just bought a second hand Avon SR4 as I thought that was a good place to start.

I've got a few things to do to the boat to tidy it up and make it my own - one of the first niggles is that the steering cable is far too long and is therefore coiled up on the deck, which is a bit of a trip hazard! Is it possible to shorten these? If not, how do I go about getting a new one? Are they specific to the engine manufacturer or more generic?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rich
Old 23 November 2014, 18:06   #2

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Rich, I think you just need to buy a shorter cable and replace it, but someone else will be along soon who known more about steering cables.

An SR4 is a great rib, I have one as well. They give more smiles per pound than any other rib IMHO. Where do you do your boating?
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2014, 18:25   #3

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Rich
Welcome!
You can't really shorten steering cables I don't think. As Chris said you need to buy a new one.
They should I think fit to any engine, but you need one to fit your help unit. You also need to measure up right taking into account how many bends (corners) to go round. Some suppliers have a diagram with measurement instructions. Or ask someone with same SR4 setup as you to check length of theirs.
Old 23 November 2014, 19:01   #4

Town: Bangor
Boat name: Mitigator
Make: XS
Engine: Mercury Verado 250
A steering cable coiled on the deck?

I have never seen one actually coiled - very poor practice to fit one in that way!

Replace it with hydraulic steering if you can afford the extra money it will take, but if not, a correctly measured cable will improve just about everything over your current set up, not least the feel of the steering itself?
Old 23 November 2014, 21:09   #5

Thanks for all the responses.

The wheel has an Ultraflex logo in the centre - do I need to buy an Ultraflex specific cable? Are generic cables available? What information do I need to make sure I buy the correct one?

Cheers,

Rich
Old 23 November 2014, 21:38   #6

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Hey dude, you will need to remove it from the helm to check the cable type before you order.

Here's a link to a pdf which lots of info on:

http://www.aquafax.co.uk/pdfs/Sect-4K.pdf

If you have two small pipes then it's hydraulic, if you have one large stiff one it's a steering cable
Old 24 November 2014, 09:49   #7

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Post a photo of your boat; if the console is the same as mine I will measure my steering cable no probs.
Old 24 November 2014, 13:20   #8

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Rich,

Firstly, Welcome!

Coiled on deck sounds like it;s wa-a-a-a-ay too long. As has been said, a short one is your answer. On the plus side, as you are changing due to incorrect length rather than "it's seized" you could punt the old one in the "Bits'n'pieces" section....

Now, to your cable:
There are, as intimated two types - hydraulic & "mechanical" - see above to tell them apart.

Assuming it's mechanical:
The one thing to be wary of, especially with an SR4, is that there was a "low power" system out there, rated to something like 50Hp. Now, SR4s are Max 50Hp, so just be aware that you might have the "low power" helm in your console. I discovered that the hard way after I found my Boat was originally supplied with a 40Hp. I had to up the size of the helm (the gubbins behind the wheel) for the Merc.

Both the cable and the helm should have numbers on - if you take them with you (or have them to hand if online!) you should be OK. - I would google any numbers you find on the helm unit -that should get you enough descriptions and "works with x cable type" kind of links.

To remove it at the ngine end, unbolt at the moving end that pokes out your engine tilt tube , then undo the big nut on the tilt tube at that end. it should then slide out, but may need some gentle persuasion.....
Onece you have the engine end free, undo the nut holding the outer sheath to the helm gubbins, and pull, - you may need to turn the wheel to help it until the entire rack of teeth is out.

The fun bit is figuring out what angle the wheel should be when you start feeding the cable teeth in to make sure it all lines up when "dead ahead"
Old 24 November 2014, 17:46   #9

Great, thanks for the information everyone, that's helped a lot. I'll go in search of some reference numbers for the existing cable/helm and let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Rich
Old 25 November 2014, 12:35   #10

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yam 225
Let me know what length you need, i have one sitting in my garage that was just short for my 5.1 Tornado may be OK for a SR4?