Today I embarked on the new tube ends for the orange satan so thought I would post some pictures...
...probably end up being a story of how NOT to do it but hey
I can already say that you should not repeat not do this job at all if you have a professional within 500 miles of you unless you are a complete masochist... pay them whatever they ask to do it for you. I wish I could.
Peeling the rubbing strip off (with a hot air gun) is a pig of a job. After fighting with it for a bit I jammed a bit of metal down the inside of the "D" part of the strake and put a ratchet strap across to the wall, to pull the strake away from the tube (all still inflated at this stage, no idea how you would manage if the tube was flat!). Unstuck a bit, pulled a bit, unstuck a bit, pulled a bit. Paul told me to peel it back and open up the seam but I decided I didn't dare do that because the orange layer started to come off the hypalon in lots of places and I decided I didn't dare fatally weaken the tube in case this fails and I have to do the "inflatable sausage" repair - anyway it looked like this:
Unfortunately it means that I will only be able to (at best) tape the bottom half of the seam (still better than original though - it was completely un-taped when built) but I figure that's the important bit so will try that first!
Then I tied the cleat off to the roof to try and make the tube as round as possible and not end up glued to itself:
Looking up the inside of the tube it is MOST interesting to note that it appears my boat is built out of gash material.... there was glue all over the inside from "something" which seems to be nothing to do with this boat:
You can also see the baffles which have a lot of give in them - this is with the forward chamber inflated to give it some shape.
Once I got it off it was interesting to look at the cause of failure which seemed to be a badly glued seam as well as fatigue in the material, the inner seam was coming off:
I looked back at the email I got from Humber which said "Generally throughout the rib manufacturing world problems like this occur due to wear and tear" mmm I suppose I must have hit something on the inside of the tube then...... must be more careful in future!
Following that, sanded it all up and primed it with glue then primed the tube ends too.
Tomorrow sees the moment of truth, did I measure the tube diameter accurately enough, will it stick properly, will I end up with it stuck to itself, or will it all go well in which case I might press on and do the other side.