Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
That looks really smart.

I wonder if Ollyit's boat would benfit from this?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2006, 23:53   #42

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
stephen, it really sucks to have problems such as you are facing, good luck with your repair, hope that it turns out positive!
Old 30 December 2006, 05:51   #43

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I've held off responding to your posts, Stephen, as there was very little positive, and I ran out of suggestions on the negative stuff.

I really hope things come togetherfor you, though.

Always hope in the New Year, I suppose...

Best wishes;

jky
Old 30 December 2006, 11:25   #44

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
I've held off responding to your posts, Stephen, as there was very little positive, and I ran out of suggestions on the negative stuff.

I really hope things come togetherfor you, though.

Always hope in the New Year, I suppose...

Best wishes;

jky
Looking on the bright side, it is unlikely that my 2007 boating season will be any worse than the 2006 one

Happy New Year to all!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 14:18   #45

Stephen,

Just an idea....... i am from an HM Forces background, and have always found that by asking around, a decent bloke emerges from the ether to offer some help with a technical problem.

Do you know anyone in the forces who could put a "wanted: help repairing RIB tubes" advert on the BFFI intranet for you. There simply must be some marine, airman or other serviceman there who has experience of RIBs and how to repair them -either professionally, or as an enthusiastic amateur.

The only other help I can offer is to say that perseverance will pay off. Understandably you are getting wound-up by the nightmare. But ultimately, the task is do-able if you keep at it. I say this because my old tornado burst a few seams during the summer (no pressure relief valves!), and I am slowly sticking them all back up together. I was really dispondent, but inch by inch I am winning.

Good luck for 2007

Phil
Old 30 December 2006, 20:40   #46
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
The contact area inside the old tube is only about a foot long.
That should be plenty enough for a permanent fix. You could reinforce and tidy it by gluing a 1 1/2'' strip along the seam and then mask and add a thin bead of black sikaflex to the forward facing edges. Warm the sikaflex first in hot water and smooth it with a finger dipped in thinners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006_1229_152012AA.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	24043  
Old 01 January 2007, 18:38   #47

Not quite there yet I don't think

Today was pretty rough and everything got a good thumping around, it looks like under those conditions the sausage will move inside the tube as the tube flexes with each wave, photo is not very good. It probably won't happen with the full length one but I don't think a mini sausage is a permanent repair even though I did pump it up pretty hard. I'll have to deflate and reseat it every so often I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0971 (Small).JPG
Views:	277
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	24061  

Old 02 January 2007, 13:49   #48

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Stephen can you not glue that mini sausage in place?
Old 02 January 2007, 16:00   #49

I did but it still seems to have moved somehow. Got to deflate it some time and try and figure out why. It is glued in with lots of Sikaflex (to try and make a seal, not entirely successful!) around the end of the old tube, the Sikaflex I used before stuck like sh&& to a blanket. Further investigation required...

Old 02 January 2007, 16:13   #50

I would be inclined to cover the main part of the sausage all the way down with glue - that would stick it for life.
Old 02 January 2007, 18:07   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I would be inclined to cover the main part of the sausage all the way down with glue - that would stick it for life.
Only problem I can see with that is that if you get a puncture in the inner sausage you then need to get it out to fix the hole.

For that reason (and knowing my luck with tubes...) I'm wondering if it will be better to not glue them at all. Of course with it being a double thickness it should reduce the chance of a puncture from floating debris anyway

Old 02 January 2007, 18:37   #52

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Only problem I can see with that is that if you get a puncture in the inner sausage you then need to get it out to fix the hole.
Why?
Old 02 January 2007, 19:08   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Why?
Because if you put a patch on the outside layer the inside layer will continue to leak...

Old 02 January 2007, 20:20   #54

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Because if you put a patch on the outside layer the inside layer will continue to leak...

With a decent glue job, the joint should act as a single, double-thick layer of fabric. A puncture should be able to be patched at the point where the air escapes (ideally, where it goes through both layers of fabric.)

Your statement would be true if air could escape the inner sausage, creep along between voids in the glue between the sausage and the outer tube, and escape at the point where the old tube ended; a good glue job wouldn't allow that (Not saying a "good" glue job would be easy to attain, of course.)

jky
Old 02 January 2007, 20:42   #55

Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
Hi Stephen,

I think you could probably hold the inner tube in place with some 1 part glue which would easily be pulled apart should you need to but would probably be enough to hold it together to fix your current problem.

Just a thought?!?
Old 02 January 2007, 21:03   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
With a decent glue job, the joint should act as a single, double-thick layer of fabric. A puncture should be able to be patched at the point where the air escapes (ideally, where it goes through both layers of fabric.)

Your statement would be true if air could escape the inner sausage, creep along between voids in the glue between the sausage and the outer tube, and escape at the point where the old tube ended; a good glue job wouldn't allow that (Not saying a "good" glue job would be easy to attain, of course.)

jky
True if you could glue the whole thing properly I guess. Part of the appeal of sausages though, is not having to use any glue because I have had enough of gluing expensive bits on crooked

The guy here who came up with the idea didn't glue his and told me he never had any problems (this was using full length ones that filled the whole aft chambers, which is what I will do, the aft chamber will be 1.7m long instead of these mini ones at about 30cm long contact area). He has had them in for a few years, not sure how many hours he has done though. I think once the full length ones are in there it will be fine, its just the last couple of feet of the tubes that take the battering from the water so I think the bit nearer the front of the chamber must hold the rest in place ok.

Stephen-RIB, how mobile is your mobile repair service?

Old 02 January 2007, 23:39   #57

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
I was under the impression you were talking about your mini sausage which is now glued into the end of your tube, albeit with Sikaflex which you used as a glue.
Old 03 January 2007, 09:04   #58

I think we're sort of talking about both at the same time!

I don't want to make the mini sausage too permanent because it is a temporary repair - the tube ends don't match as the tube ends Paul uses are different to the ones Humber used on my boat (though they appear to be the same as Humber use now from photos I have seen of new boats) so it looks a bit lopsided at the moment. The other reason is that the original tube fabric has this delamination problem, every time I have tried to peel anything off with a hot air gun the fabric has delaminated and big chunks of the top layer come off with the glue exposing the nylon (?) weave underneath, so a lot of un-gluing inside the end of the old tube is likely to ruin it to the extent it can't be "sausaged" and the final repair will need a reasonably sound tube to lay inside, it won't be good if it is only half as thick as it should be in lots of places. So if I get too carried away with unsticking things it'll probably bugger up the tube beyond further use and then I'll be back to having no boat again. It's not ideal but under the circumstances its the best of a bunch of not very good options - unless somebody decides to give me a new boat

On top of that I am virtually certain from the slightly stressed appearance around the seams of the starboard tube, that this is going to go the same way and it is just a matter of time, so for a robust repair I need to do both sides anyway. A 1.7m set of sausages complete with inflation valves and relief valves, landed here, will set me back about £500 or so if shipped by sea, and I can just about bear that extra cost, but I've not ordered them yet as I am waiting to see if another kind offer by a RIBnet member bears any fruit but I'll not say anything about that yet

I basically need this repair to last me till about April because the next ship heading this way closes on 10 Jan which is too early to get them made, the following one about mid to late Feb which will mean I don't get the sausages here until April. Sending them by DHL will add about another £350 so not really a sensible option if I can make this last.

Old 03 January 2007, 13:13   #59

If the other one is going to go the same way this one did why not glue this mini sausage in properly and then replace the other one with the same sort of thing later on so they match I would have thought that would be a lot cheaper than buying a big sausage now and then another in a year or so....
Old 03 January 2007, 13:25   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
If the other one is going to go the same way this one did why not glue this mini sausage in properly and then replace the other one with the same sort of thing later on so they match I would have thought that would be a lot cheaper than buying a big sausage now and then another in a year or so....
It would, but I want to do it properly so I can (hopefully) forget about it, or sell it with a clear conscience that I'm not selling a dud to somebody.