Old 18 June 2013, 18:44   #21

Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Sorry I didn't realize this was just the outer layer of hypalon and the inner layer plus scrim was still intact. So no inner patch IMHO.

The circle is too small. You probably want an egg like shape with the tip of the egg pointing towards the tip of the cone. Minimum 1" overlap of the patch onto solid intact fabric.
Captnjack,

One side of the seam is one layer down the other side is minus two layers (neoprene is bulging out at 2.0 PSI). Scrim, is that the fabric? If so I cut away the frayed excess. Is this beyond DIY?

Thanks for your input.
Old 18 June 2013, 19:19   #22

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacOps View Post
Captnjack,

One side of the seam is one layer down the other side is minus two layers (neoprene is bulging out at 2.0 PSI). Scrim, is that the fabric? If so I cut away the frayed excess. Is this beyond DIY?

Thanks for your input.
I don't think its beyond DIY. I would deflate the boat ASAP to avoid stretching the thin parts any more. Then its just a matter of getting a solid surface all around the damaged area to adhere the patch onto. Minimum 25mm but 35-40mm of solid material all around patch is better. A professional is going to be constrained by the same cone/shape issues as you. So I would get some thin cardboard to mimick hypalon and lay out different patch shapes/sizes untill you find one which won't alter the cone shape that much.

Then prep the surrounding fabric that you are actually glueing to and stick your patch.

If you completely screw it up and it fails, I doubt you'll be any worse for wear taking the mishapen tube to a professional later.

ps. scrim is the nylon mesh which is the middle structural layer in the fabric. You didn't hurt anything cutting away the fuzzy worn parts since that wasn't structural anymore anyway (as evidenced by the bulging). And you need clean, undamaged material to glue onto