Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 19 June 2009, 07:19   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: Cushendall
Boat name: JanJack /
Make: RedbayBoats / Brig
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 300 / etec 50
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 81
Repair gelcoat scratches

First post in a while but we had the boat in the water for the first time in ages a few weeks ago and it is desperately in need of a good clean and a tidy up.

We're getting the bench seat reupholstered and a few bits and bobs fixed but one of the main things making the boat look worn is the scratches on the gelcoat.

There's various points throughout the boat were things have been put for boat journeys and have scraped against the gel coat.

What's the best way to fill/remove these scratches?

I've included just a general picture of the boat so If anyone could take a stab at colour that would be helpful.

Cheers

Conor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2885.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	43405  
__________________

__________________
chorscroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2009, 08:18   #2
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorscroft View Post
First post in a while but we had the boat in the water for the first time in ages a few weeks ago and it is desperately in need of a good clean and a tidy up.

We're getting the bench seat reupholstered and a few bits and bobs fixed but one of the main things making the boat look worn is the scratches on the gelcoat.

There's various points throughout the boat were things have been put for boat journeys and have scraped against the gel coat.

What's the best way to fill/remove these scratches?

I've included just a general picture of the boat so If anyone could take a stab at colour that would be helpful.

Cheers

Conor
The only way of hoping to match it is to call the manufacturers with the serial number of the boat and ask for some gelcoat and use that - otherwise it'll take ages to get a good match (if the guy knows what he is doing).
__________________

__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2009, 08:29   #3
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
The only way of hoping to match it is to call the manufacturers with the serial number of the boat and ask for some gelcoat and use that - otherwise it'll take ages to get a good match (if the guy knows what he is doing).
Ah, but he obviously can't/won't do this - seeing as how they're both in the same village and he's asking on here. Unhappy history?
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2009, 15:03   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: Cushendall
Boat name: JanJack /
Make: RedbayBoats / Brig
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 300 / etec 50
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Ah, but he obviously can't/won't do this - seeing as how they're both in the same village and he's asking on here. Unhappy history?
Not at all.

I just thought I'd try and find out here about people's experience with repairing chips in gelcoat and hopefully I'd be able to do it myself.

Point taken though about getting the colour match from Redbay. That would be a bit of a given.
__________________
chorscroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.