Old 19 June 2009, 11:19   #1

Town: Cushendall
Boat name: JanJack /
Make: RedbayBoats / Brig
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 300 / etec 50
Repair gelcoat scratches

First post in a while but we had the boat in the water for the first time in ages a few weeks ago and it is desperately in need of a good clean and a tidy up.

We're getting the bench seat reupholstered and a few bits and bobs fixed but one of the main things making the boat look worn is the scratches on the gelcoat.

There's various points throughout the boat were things have been put for boat journeys and have scraped against the gel coat.

What's the best way to fill/remove these scratches?

I've included just a general picture of the boat so If anyone could take a stab at colour that would be helpful.

Cheers

Conor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2885.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	43405  
Old 19 June 2009, 12:18   #2

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorscroft View Post
First post in a while but we had the boat in the water for the first time in ages a few weeks ago and it is desperately in need of a good clean and a tidy up.

We're getting the bench seat reupholstered and a few bits and bobs fixed but one of the main things making the boat look worn is the scratches on the gelcoat.

There's various points throughout the boat were things have been put for boat journeys and have scraped against the gel coat.

What's the best way to fill/remove these scratches?

I've included just a general picture of the boat so If anyone could take a stab at colour that would be helpful.

Cheers

Conor
The only way of hoping to match it is to call the manufacturers with the serial number of the boat and ask for some gelcoat and use that - otherwise it'll take ages to get a good match (if the guy knows what he is doing).
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2009, 12:29   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
The only way of hoping to match it is to call the manufacturers with the serial number of the boat and ask for some gelcoat and use that - otherwise it'll take ages to get a good match (if the guy knows what he is doing).
Ah, but he obviously can't/won't do this - seeing as how they're both in the same village and he's asking on here. Unhappy history?
Old 14 September 2009, 19:03   #4

Town: Cushendall
Boat name: JanJack /
Make: RedbayBoats / Brig
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 300 / etec 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Ah, but he obviously can't/won't do this - seeing as how they're both in the same village and he's asking on here. Unhappy history?
Not at all.

I just thought I'd try and find out here about people's experience with repairing chips in gelcoat and hopefully I'd be able to do it myself.

Point taken though about getting the colour match from Redbay. That would be a bit of a given.