Click Here to Login

Old 22 January 2006, 17:02   #1

Town: Chicago
Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
Renting a RIB in South Africa

Does anyone know where or from who I could charter a RIB(5-7m) in Cape Town. Going to be there in May for a couple weeks and would love to tour the coast by RIB.
Old 22 January 2006, 17:05   #2

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Cape Town is fantastic. Try calling this company first:

http://www.stealthyachts.com/index003.asp
Old 22 January 2006, 17:38   #3

We are going to be staying in a house on the Beach in Kommetjie. We just want to cruise around for a day or two possibly around the Cape Horn.
Old 24 January 2006, 00:03   #4

Town: Solent
Length: 7m +
Trying emailing Mark Thatcher I hear he has quite a few ex military ribs that he is trying to get rid of, might be some issues with customs etc!!!!
Old 24 January 2006, 09:59   #5

Town: London
Boat name: XLR8
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: Etec 200HO
Where????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan
We are going to be staying in a house on the Beach in Kommetjie. We just want to cruise around for a day or two possibly around the Cape Horn.

Rogan,

I have a Rib in Hout Bay. Not too far from Komms. If you want to PM me I may be able to help...

Oh and by the way, CAPE HORN is SOUTH AMERICA.
Old 24 January 2006, 13:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogopach
Rogan,

I have a Rib in Hout Bay. Not too far from Komms. If you want to PM me I may be able to help...

Oh and by the way, CAPE HORN is SOUTH AMERICA.
Yup, Hout Bay is my birth town! It would be a long way to go to Cape Horn I can assure. Cape Point is where you mean. You would not want to attempt anything like this in less than perfect conditions as the Atlantic ground swell hit a number of offshore reefs from Outer Kom, Scarborough and Cape Point and can break in excess of 40ft!! If you do not know the area well I would strongly advise you to nip around the corner to Simonstown or Fish Hoek, launch there and start your passage from this side. North of Simonstown (6km's) is a power boat club you might consider visiting as the club members are extremely helpful and accomodating (- much like all South Africans )
If the weather turns you can get back fairly safely and more protected along the coast which you would not be able to do on the Atlantic side.
SA have implemented strict rules for boaters which include a working VHF radio, life-jackets, flares and a number of other items which you are required to have. This is policed strongly at all major slips around Cape Town. Penalties are SEVERE.
Let me know if we can help assist you further.
Old 24 January 2006, 15:20   #7

Thanks for all the responses guys! Cape Point you say hey. Well, I stand corrected. One of my most embarrassing moments in boating actually happened in Fish Hoek. I was 17 and back in South Africa on vacation for the millennium. Loading up a 3 meter inflatable we launched in the surf at Fish Hoek. We were boating all over for hours, around to Simons Town as well. Heading back we realized we hadn't checked the fuel in a while. As we were saying that the old 84' 30hp Mariner spluttered to a halt. Yup we had just run out of fuel about a mile off shore. We had one small paddle and the wind was not cooperating. I checked to see if we had any flares or anything with us and realized I had left it all in the car and had filled the water proof container with ice and Castle forgetting the emergency equipment. We had nothing. After hours of paddling we were getting seriously worried. The sun was setting by the time we got into the surf and I realized without power it was going to be difficult not to roll the boat. A min later we rolled the boat. After dragging the boat and ourselves onto the beach we cracked another Castle thinking to ourselves, that was the stupidest thing we have ever done. Stupid, stupid, stupid. These days I always carry the right gear no matter what.
Old 24 January 2006, 16:29   #8

Hey cto1,

Could you give me the name and address of this powerboat club. We will definitley stop in to chat with them when we are there. Also, got any pictures of that 8m Scorpion of yours. Bet you wish you had that in Cape Town. I attached some pictures of our trip from Chicago to the Gulf of Mexico. The second one was on the Mississippi at night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gulf.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	17168   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0145.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	17169  
Old 24 January 2006, 20:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Could'nt agree more ....
Try False Bay Yacht Club - I think the Powerboat Club is affiliated to them.
King George Way, Simon'sTown. I think I read your brill report on your epic trip along the Mississippi (spelling?) on Hotribs. Pic of my boat attached - we would love to do the Trans-Agulhas in her. Competed 4 times already, its a killer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10779 (Small).jpg
Views:	783
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	17175  
Old 24 January 2006, 20:59   #10

Wow, that is a serious vessel. What kinda range do you get and what is Trans-Agulhas all about. How many miles?
Old 25 January 2006, 12:55   #11

http://www.transagulhas.com/home/agulhasmain.php
http://www.xmarine.com/events/transa...yout/index.php
http://www.transagulhas.co.uk/

My range is approximately 200miles with an average load, mild seas and a speed of 35knts. Problem is I tend to want to get to places rather quicker than that!