Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 28 February 2010, 15:17   #1

Town: Fort Lauderdale
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 90 outboard
Removing old glue from PVC tubes

After removing a glued on patch I had to clean the old glue off. My first attempt was with Goo gone which didn't do anything. I then tried acetone, I didn't like the acetone because it was doing a really slow job with the glue, and I could see it was also dissolving the PVC tube material. I did some searching in the forum and found various threads and suggestions but they all had to do with Hypalon. But it helped me get an idea of what I needed; a solvent that will attack the glue but go easy on the PVC. I went to home depot and bought a few products.
1. Goof Off - It's supposed to be similar to Goo Gone, didn't do anything.
2. M.E.K. - It either didn't work or behaved like acetone, I can't remember which.
3. Klean-Strip

What caught my eye about this last product is that the consistency of my glue residue reminded me of the tile glue pictured on the can. It too was yellow and crusty, not at all sticky or flexible. I tried the Klean-Strip last because I thought it was going to be the most likely to damage the PVC. Anyways it did the job nicely. It has the consistency of gel and doesn't evaporate at all. I'd layer it on a little bit at a time and scrape off immediately. I was still concerned that it will eat the PVC so I'd work fast in small sections. But then I put some on the patch that came of and left it there for half an hour, there was no affect on the PVC patch. However some drops of it fell on some junk plastic shelving that I had laying around and I didn't bother to clean it, next time I looked at it the plastic turned into mush.

Some pics of the finished cleanup, and what the patch that came off was like. BTW can someone please tell me what this accessory is called so I can search for it? It's used to support the back of the tubes to the transom.

Old 28 February 2010, 16:33   #2

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Think you are looking for a " D-ring patch "?
Old 28 February 2010, 17:58   #3

Town: Cannes
Boat name: midkat 550
Make: apoge
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2x50 Tohatsu
this is a very interesting topic, because I had the problem several times - ie remove some old glue from pvc or hypalon - and I always ended by grinding it carefully with an electrical grinder with abrasive disc.

The question and problem is : where is it available in Europe ...? I suppose it cannot be sent by post parcel
Old 28 February 2010, 18:04   #4

Home Depot ships http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...FZZg2godI3gWeg. I guess you'll have to find out if they ship internationally. Or do a search for a similar product in the UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
Think you are looking for a " D-ring patch "?
Going by some search results looks like that's what it is. Thanks.
Old 01 March 2010, 16:07   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Dan;

How about posting the chemical makeup from the labeling on the can? Our UK buddies can search for a similar product based on the formulation.

FWIW, I tried something labeled as "3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover" on hypalon glue; it was about the same as using plain water (with more aromatic properties.)

jky
Old 05 March 2010, 19:08   #6

Sorry, I looked on the can but there was no composition listed.