Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Removing Antifouling

Evening,

has anyone got any experience of removing anti fouling? apparently theres some stuff like paint stripper you can use??

My hull is looking a little sorry with antifouling coming off and rather than reapplying as its being kept ashore i would rather take it off all together!!

any experience and results greatly appreciated

Kind regards
Howard
Old 05 April 2007, 21:27   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
It's called Dilunet.I've got some in the garage-It's expensive and crap-at least it was when I tried to get freshwater antifoul off with it.
I used a bit then put it away and used an orbital sander and a respirator instead.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05 April 2007, 22:11   #3

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
We have the remains of antifouling on the hull and it looks dreadful. It has gone yellow and really drags down the appearance of the boat.

I have tried nitromors, but it is so slow! It does remove the anti F but only a small area at a time.

I understand that International do a similar remover and wonder whether to try it.

Another issue is that if the previous owner did the antifouling properly, he would have abraded the hull to aid adehesion! So..... If I get it off, I have a dull hull!!

So, lets have ideas for removal as well as comments on white antifouling. I suspect that would stain badly on my black trailer rollers!

Ideas please!

Tony
Old 05 April 2007, 22:43   #4

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
It's called Dilunet.I've got some in the garage-It's expensive and crap-at least it was when I tried to get freshwater antifoul off with it.
I used a bit then put it away and used an orbital sander and a respirator instead.
Agree with Matt, the Dilunet is complete cr@p. However the International antifoul remover is an entirely different story. Its the only thing that I've found that will do the job. It smells funky and looks much like Dilunet (brownish gloop) but leave it on 10 mins and then remove whilst soft with a wooden scraper and its the dogs cogs. I was shifting 3 layers of anitfoul (white, grey and blue) in one go

I only discovered the stuff last weekend so can't show any photos with full results yet but I'll post some when I've done a bit more over the next weekend. However its still £20 for a litre tin so its not cheap

Andrew
Old 07 April 2007, 11:56   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I have always been under the impression these majic gloop products are pretty useless. Sanding is probably the most reliable way of getting it all off but it ain't easy. Re the issue of the hull having been sanded in the first place. With a LOT of effort you can get a pretty good finish with very fine wet and dry, then compound and polish etc. I think if I was in this situation I would be temped just to keep antifouling it occastionaly to keep it looking nice.
Old 07 April 2007, 13:06   #6

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Howard, I used the International stuff last year on Old Spice. Horrible job took most of Easter and left the path in a right mess. It does work but if it dries out then it goes hard again so you have to do 1/4 at a time. Its not cheap either.

Don't use ordinary nitromoors btw as it attacks grp.

Pete