Old 17 July 2018, 16:49   #1

Town: Tring
Make: Ring 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
RIBase
Relief!

thought I'd share my recent experience of thinking I'd destroyed my outboard.

A couple of weeks ago I was out in the Solent at full tilt when I suddenly heard a loud metallic clattering sound coming from the back of the boat.

Expecting my Suzuki DF140 to let go I immediately throttled back to a standstill. The engine sounded absolutely fine on tick over. No warning lights, no obvious problem.

Possibly foolishly, I decided to accelerate up on to the plane again, albeit slower than I had been.

Engine sounded fine. In fact, it sounded perfect, smooth, quiet, all good. Then, about a minute or two later it happened again, 3-4s of serious metallic clattering. Enough to convince me I was about to be several thousand pounds worse off, or possibly looking at a completely new engine.

But again, on slowing down the engine seemed absolutely fine. No lights, water running through the tell tale, all very smooth. I decided to take it easy on the way back to the marina. 8 knots through Chichester Harbour. All sounded ok.

Back in the marina hood off, oil checked and nothing obvious wrong.

Unfortunately I couldn't get an engineer out to check the engine before my next planned trip which was last weekend. I decided I'd take the boat out again but just take it easy, though have to admit I was nervous.

8 knots through the harbour, all sounded absolutely smooth (and as DF140 owners will testify, these are quiet, frugal and very smooth engines).

Confidence building I decided to try getting her on the plane. 30 seconds later a very loud metallic clattering noise again. I slowed down and again, all sounded good. Throttled up and again this unbelievably loud and crunching noise...

But this time both my wife and a friend were looking at the engine. And realised it wasn't the engine at all.

My engine lock, a big metal bar across the stern was slightly loose and at some speeds the vibration was causing it to rattle around all over the place.

Phew! Problem identified and easily resolved. No big bills and an engine that's still running beautifully. To say I was relieved is an understatement!

Needless to say the rest of the weekend was spent at speed with a big grin on my face!
Old 17 July 2018, 16:53   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
With my modest setup... 20hp until recently and now 10hp I have to tie off the outboard lock with bungee so it can't rattle or it's exactly the same... sounds like a trashed OB.
Old 17 July 2018, 19:28   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I am a bit OTT with noise and feel for you really glad it was nothing big rattles who'd have enm