Old 03 August 2017, 19:58   #1

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Refuelling IoW

After a foul week in Dartmouth - either torrential rain or high winds & showers (but on the up side little spent on fuel!), we're now thinking about phase 2 of our holiday a week at East Cowes with the boat on East Cowes Marina and us staying at Waverley Holiday Park.

Can anyone advise on garages in the area that will allow you to fill 20l cans with petrol? - I don't really want to have to pay fuel barge prices if I can avoid it

Alternatively, if I do need to refuel on the water where's he best place?

If anyone's out and about on IoW 12-19 Aug & wants to meet up on or off the water drop me a note.

Many thanks

LT
Old 04 August 2017, 07:59   #2

Town: Keyhaven
Boat name: Orion
Make: Bombard
Engine: Outboard Honda 50HP
From memory there is a garage on Newport Road after you leave West Cowes on the way to Newport and also a Salisbury Garage in Newport itself. Both won't mind filling 20l Jerry Cans. I'm assuming you don't have a car there though so getting around may be more of a problem than the filling up. You could, at high tide, go all the way up the Medina, find somewhere to moor up quickly around the Bargements Rest, then walk under the flyover to Sainsbury's it's would be a 1/4 mile walk I guess.

See here:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.70...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Bargements Rest at Little London quay on the right, Sainsbury's petrol station is on Hunnycross Way, behind the Discount Supermarket, not far at all.
Old 04 August 2017, 09:25   #3

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
10-13th August is the Bankes Arms Beer Festival in Studland Bay, Dorset - not too far a run from IOW and very sheltered in anything except Easterly.

I'll be hanging around there every evening from 1800 onwards
Old 04 August 2017, 10:56   #4

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
From memory there is a garage on Newport Road after you leave West Cowes on the way to Newport and also a Salisbury Garage in Newport itself. Both won't mind filling 20l Jerry Cans. I'm assuming you don't have a car there though so getting around may be more of a problem than the filling up. You could, at high tide, go all the way up the Medina, find somewhere to moor up quickly around the Bargements Rest, then walk under the flyover to Sainsbury's it's would be a 1/4 mile walk I guess.

See here:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.70...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Bargements Rest at Little London quay on the right, Sainsbury's petrol station is on Hunnycross Way, behind the Discount Supermarket, not far at all.
Good luck getting cans filled at hunny hill Sainsbury's - there very, very anal - anything not complying to the law and you've got no chance ( that includes 20ltr jerry cans which are now technically illegal http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...y-store-petrol)
We just use a harbours fuel berth, cans aren't worth the hassle for the pennies you save
Old 04 August 2017, 12:11   #5

Town: Keyhaven
Boat name: Orion
Make: Bombard
Engine: Outboard Honda 50HP
Interesting about the 20L jerry cans, I fill mine up two at a time quite often for the boat and never had a problem. The last time I fill the Audi up with 85litres of petrol, I then set about both Jerry cans. The pump cut out at £100 and I had to go and ask them to restart it so I could finish filling up.
Old 04 August 2017, 13:29   #6

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
I Have not had an issue filling up mine yet, at any of the stations around hamble/sholing/bursledon
Old 04 August 2017, 13:39   #7

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
Good luck getting cans filled at hunny hill Sainsbury's - there very, very anal - anything not complying to the law and you've got no chance ( that includes 20ltr jerry cans which are now technically illegal What is a jerry can? A guide on how to legally store petrol - BBC Newsbeat)
We just use a harbours fuel berth, cans aren't worth the hassle for the pennies you save
Choose a pump where you are slightly hidden and just do it, quickly. Remember its easier to get forgiveness than permission!!
Old 04 August 2017, 17:54   #8

We will have the car with us - Mrs T is taking it over whilst I run the boat over from the Hamble, so driving a couple of miles to fill the cans isn't a problem.

I steer clear of the supermarkets, who are "strict" so strict that I've been prevented from filling a proper 20l approved tank (not a can) and use independents who tend to be more flexible. As Wightdiver says I'm subtle about filling thecans discreetly.

Now my challenge is...can I get away with filling the 20l cans on the boat, immediately after topping up the tank at Tesco just off the M27? on the way out
Old 04 August 2017, 19:25   #9

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Now my challenge is...can I get away with filling the 20l cans on the boat, immediately after topping up the tank at Tesco just off the M27? on the way out
There are some ASDAs on the way...

...ASDA have unmanned stations ;-)
Old 04 August 2017, 19:29   #10

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
Good luck getting cans filled at hunny hill Sainsbury's - there very, very anal - anything not complying to the law and you've got no chance ( that includes 20ltr jerry cans which are now technically illegal What is a jerry can? A guide on how to legally store petrol - BBC Newsbeat)
That BBC link is old. The rules changed recently and I think 20L metal are legal now. RYA certainly thinks so.
Old 04 August 2017, 19:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
That BBC link is old. The rules changed recently and I think 20L metal are legal now. RYA certainly thinks so.
I keep to plastic because all the tales of rust & muck getting in the fuel supply from metal cans.

The RYA is not unfotunately a Tesco or Sainsbury PFS attendant
Old 04 August 2017, 20:09   #12

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Hi Bob,

Horrible week to have off, we're off to Falmouth next week with teh fingers crossed it's better then this one

We were there last year and to be honest found Lymington or Gosport exceptable enough not to bother with the cans and I think one of the IoW barges wasn't too bad either from memory.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2017, 22:34   #13

Good luck next week, Andy - have agreat time.

Lots of good ribbing to be had around Falmouth - remember sailing Falmouth week a couple of times when a lot younger.

How far East / West do you think you'll go?

Weather WILL be better than last week- couldn't be any worse

Think with a mix of cans & reasonable marina prices, we'll sort the fuel, but no point in paying more than you need!

LT