Old 26 March 2006, 15:03   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Refuelling

Today saw the first refuelling stop. #Kin hell this thing is expensive to run!! I just filled up after this morning's run and I reckon I've used about 80 litres of fuel in about three hours running time over the last week or so 60L (the two cans I had) brought it back to about 3/4 of a tank. Oh well, it's only money.... petrol here has gone up a lot in the last couple of years but I don't suppose whinging about 65p a litre is going to get much sympathy from anybody based in the UK (used to be 35p a litre a couple of years back though...)

However I have already decided that fuel cans a jug and a funnel is a PITA I can do without (having sloshed about half a litre of fuel across the deck when the funnel slipped) and there must be a better/safer/less messy way.

So how do you fill yours?

Options that have drifted through my mind in the last couple of hours include syphoning it in, and one of those little pump things that goes on to the chuck of an electric drill. The guy whose yacht I am tied to at the moment says he has seen a neat syphon tube with a sort of flap and ball bearing widget inside one end so you stick it in the fuel can, the fuel flows in to the end of the pipe but cannot flow back, you shake the thing up and down a few times and it fills the pipe with fuel and then starts syphoning.

Sound like a good idea to me, if I can find one. I may even be able to make such a thing. Any other things worth checking out please?

Ta

Stephen
Old 26 March 2006, 15:22   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Do NOT use an electric drill anywhere near petrol - EVER!!!

A lot depends on where your filler is. If it's high up then just use a jerrycan with a proper "donkey's dick" spout - must be loads knocking around the Falklands!!!

The shaker syphon tube thing is great - very easy to use. It looks just like a glass marble in a metal tube one end - plastic pipe the other. Would be great for a flush deck filler.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SELF-STARTING-...QQcmdZViewItem

Bloke selling them on ebay - one look at the fitting on the end and you will make your own!!!

http://www.geocities.com/powersyphon1/

The other alternative is a jiggle pump type thing - you just give a few strokes to get the sypohn started.

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk...?prod=MMSYP001

Just don't do this!!!

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_950562.html?menu=
Old 26 March 2006, 16:33   #3

Town: knebworth
Boat name: phoenix
Make: xs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 opti
Send a message via MSN to mark-f Send a message via Skype™ to mark-f
yep the syphon tube works really well for refueling, and dispite the look of the fitting its workrd for me for the last year, just make sure you get the jerry can higher than the fuel tank and once it gets going it empty's the jerry can in no time :-)

mark
Old 26 March 2006, 17:08   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
yep syphon tube for me. We refer to them as tossers toobs cos of the action needed for a sucesful delivery

Codders is so Right about the drill
Old 26 March 2006, 17:37   #5

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
syphon

If you cant get hold of those items mentioned and happen to have a old outboard fuel line, take the ends off and a couple of pumps on the hand primer and bob yer ferkin.
you will be surprised how quick it works

Paul
Old 26 March 2006, 17:44   #6
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Try this....

I doubt you'll get cheaper than this!!!

ARCO SYPHON PUMP

Chris
Old 26 March 2006, 20:14   #7

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Do NOT use an electric drill anywhere near petrol - EVER!!!
Drill can't be any worse than having a battery/isolator switch in the same compartment as the fuel tank and between my legs where it will really make my eyes water if it cooks off seems a very dodgy bit of design but I suppose Humber put it there. Maybe that is why it is called a "Destroyer"

The filler is just on top of the tank which is down inside the jockey seat, lift the seat off for "access" (not very much).

A couple of jerry cans and a spout are going to be used next time. Just finished building a frame to take four jerry cans in the back of the 90 without them all falling over, because I have learned over the years that jerry cans are only fuel tight when they are not lying down in the back of a vehicle!!!

One of those jiggly ball bearing things will be just the job - thanks for the links. Something else for the shopping list - this is as bad as owning a Land Rover [sigh]

Love the story about the hoover what a plank!!!!

« Prop Bag | Top | Gotcha! »