[YOUTUBE]

Old 20 February 2010, 06:10   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Donegaldan - go take your blood pressure medication, make a cup of tea, take a deep breath and get on with fixing that o/board.

Your post raises an interesting point though - would you want to be at the front of the queue for any new product of following behind as a me too - with a now trusted and debugged product? I guess it depends how much you trust the brand, the designer/builder, and whether there is any "early adopter" discount. I'm guessing that the Excalibur is using the same hull as before so actually its just a different set of 'body work'. They've been building cabin ribs for some time - this is just the first one with a hardtop.

Someone had to be the pioneer at Redbay too - otherwise there wouldn't be a fleet of hard topped cabin boats for you and willk to drool over.

Just for clarification - are you suggesting that Excalibur ribs have broken up and been the subject of MAIB reports etc? That's who your rant read - although I don't think its what you meant.
Old 20 February 2010, 06:31   #33
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Just for clarification - are you suggesting that Excalibur ribs have broken up and been the subject of MAIB reports etc? That's who your rant read - although I don't think its what you meant.
My, he is tetchy today, I must be having an adverse effect on him...

Don't mind who his red rant - he's Posting in a Foreign Language. He meant Redbay, not Excalibur.
Old 20 February 2010, 07:24   #34
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Seem to remember a rib international review by HMS. It was less than complimenting about the expeditions handling. I gathered it was quite a different boat from the stormforce. Was issue 76 june/july07

Is this viewable online? If not, any chance you could raise a copy for me?
Old 20 February 2010, 11:34   #35

Town: Cork
Boat name: Dalesman
Make: Excalibur 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 1.7 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by donegaldan View Post

I think people might be missing a fundamental.
Who here would put their hand in their pocket to buy a first car ?
Now it may be from Ford or Toyota, Land rover etc but who here would actually be willing to part with their money for the FIRST off the production line.
Cause i sure as hell wouldn't. I'd want reviews, ask owners, see it on top gear.....
.... cause i value my two cents.

So what we have here is - a situation
Excalibur ( Ex-Redbay Employee) producing their first cabin 8+ boat.
Redbay building them since 2005.

And i have yet to see a MAIB or an Irish CG report on a Redbay breaking up...!
If one did, please someone correct me, but i doubt anyone can...

As for the Irish Coast guard insisting on Excalibur, thats bull.
Look on the back of most Navy boats and you will see Delta and Humber.
And seeing as we irish are broke as a nation (Even the minister of Defense just bit the bullet) they can insist all they want, but Redbay they don't have two cents to rub against.
Besides Irish Coast Guard have been a customer of Redbay's for 5 years now !!!

Sometimes, a lot of bull spews out of the mouths of those who think they know it all, and as the saying goes, in the end they know F*** all!
Excalibur have been building Ribs for many years now and to my CERTAIN knowledge have never had a hull break up on any of their boats. May'be you could point me in the direction of said MAIB report!!

Redbay may be in for a shock if as you say they build all the ICG boats, cos theres a fabulus 8m+ Excalibur here in Crosshaven which the Coasties are mad about.
To my knowledge, In the last couple of years Joe has built and supplied five (may'be 6) boats for the fisheries patrol , so the Gov't don't have any problems with his boats.

I am a proud owner of an excalibur rib and don't deny it. Redbay too, make fine boats. All I'm saying is be constructive when giving your opinions of any boat, and don't muddy the waters.

Rant over !
Old 20 February 2010, 16:36   #36
RIBnet supporter

Town: Donegal
Boat name: Deep Six
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
Send a message via Skype™ to donegaldan
Long Days ....

So guys... always interested to see what a fair auld response will throw up, and looks like it got some of ye excited !!! I posted a very simple post, but ye seem to be reading stuff i did not write.

So I'll just start off with one or two things. Everything in my last post is fact.
1. Redbay have never had a incident investigated by MAIB or CG.

2. I have never said that excalibur have ever had an incident.

3. The irish coast Guard cannot legally "Insist" on any one manufacturer. They can like them, they can purchase them, but they cannot be a sole supplier of RIBS to the government. Thats anti competitive. It's EU Law, I don't care what Crosshaven say.

4. If people actually read my posts, I said
"Look on the back of most Navy boats and you will see Delta and Humber."
I didn't say Redbay or Excalibur build most boats, i actually pointed to 2 other manufacuturers.

And besides guys.... we are starting to really hijack a thread started by Cailín Baire.
I finished off my last message with best wished to her and be interested to see how she gets on with both companies.

Actually the more this goes on, it may be interesting not just to me, but to everyone on this thread to see how she gets on and what her final decision is.
On a slightly up note.... I got a engine block completely rebuilt today and blood pressure tablets taken !!!

Enjoy.
Old 20 February 2010, 17:07   #37
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by donegaldan View Post
So I'll just start off with one or two things. Everything in my last post is fact.
1. Redbay have never had a incident investigated by MAIB or CG.

2. I have never said that excalibur have ever had an incident.
thats what I thought - but its a very bizzare thing to write in the middle of what seems to be a Redbay/Excalibur comparison unless you meant to imply that Excalibur had been involved in a problem. You still haven't specifically said that they also have not been investigated which leaves me thinking you are still implying that maybe they have?

So if you are trying to suggest something - come off the fence and say it. If you are actually trying to say you believe that both Redbay and Excalibur are substantial boats, with a good reputation in the irish market then I think you should say so.
Old 20 February 2010, 20:11   #38

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
thats what I thought - but its a very bizzare thing to write in the middle of what seems to be a Redbay/Excalibur comparison unless you meant to imply that Excalibur had been involved in a problem. You still haven't specifically said that they also have not been investigated which leaves me thinking you are still implying that maybe they have?

So if you are trying to suggest something - come off the fence and say it. If you are actually trying to say you believe that both Redbay and Excalibur are substantial boats, with a good reputation in the irish market then I think you should say so.
Don't worry Donegal, the daft Scotch lad was reading too far into your post. If you re-read it it was the parrot that actually mentioned all of the offending parts!
Old 21 February 2010, 04:00   #39

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
How many cabin ribs have you owned Polwart?

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2010, 04:08   #40
RIBnet admin team

RIBase

Let's see, huge argument between a crowd of Paddies about the relative merits of North/South. The Scottish quickly take sides and the English call for Clarification....

fkk mee im orf!