Old 20 July 2016, 09:59   #1

Length: 4m +
Redbay Stormforce 6.5 Canopy

Morning ,

I'm looking to purchase my first rib ( after owning a 4m Honwave ) , after much reading and looking over the web i've come across the Redbay Stormforce 6.5 Canopy . I want to spend around 15-20k and wondering if these are available in this price range?

Any reviews/feedback from owners of this boat would be very helpful , anything to watch out for ? etc .

Thanks
D
Old 21 July 2016, 20:45   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss_uk View Post
Morning ,

I'm looking to purchase my first rib ( after owning a 4m Honwave ) , after much reading and looking over the web i've come across the Redbay Stormforce 6.5 Canopy . I want to spend around 15-20k and wondering if these are available in this price range?

Any reviews/feedback from owners of this boat would be very helpful , anything to watch out for ? etc .

Thanks
D
Thats a big jump that comes with a load of different headaches than the honwave - storage, towing, launching, beaching, servicing, fueling all just got more complex/expensive. Not sure what else you've considered or ruled out to arrive at that choice, your research will have shown you can get redbay's at quite a variety of price points, with condition and age being a big factor, as well as size and engine config. The Downside of any seemingly bargain boat (regardless of brand) is that it probably comes with some future expenditure to maintain or improve it. Genuine bargains get snapped up quickly, especially in the close redbay world where many owners know each other and boats history.
Old 21 July 2016, 22:31   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss_uk View Post
reviews/feedback from owners of this boat would be very helpful , anything to watch out for ?
I owned a Redbay 6.5m Open for a few years*. It was an older boat and I had some great times in it. They're a particularly well mannered boat in a bit of a sea. The canopy version will be a bit heavier and a bit slower. I think they're a very good family boat - idea for going places/overnights/fishing. They're not flash and they're not fast.

There is a very handsome used model currently on brokerage at Redbay Boats. I saw it earlier today and it looks very clean. It's a little over budget but I suspect there might be a little "wriggle room" on the asking

Pre-owned Boats - Redbay Boats

*It was my starter boat - don't mind Poly, he has size issues
Old 22 July 2016, 08:23   #4

Morning and thanks for replies ,

Yeah i get the extra costs from moving from a small SIB to something like this , i do own another boat ( classic river cruiser (wood Broom)) so know all about expenses etc , regards towing/moving it about , i plan on keeping it in the marina on the south coast so have that covered.

The main points were trying to find out what i could realistically have to pay and any common issues with these boats , the reason i want one is the canopy looks ideal for keeping the family safe and i love the style , i've now decided i want the 750 version so i guess need to find 25-30k for a decent one? theres no rush.

That boat above looks very nice and i've emailed them for more images , still open to the 6.5 option if the right boat pops up.

Are there other brands to consider with canopy type setups? , i found another but looks like the company shut down a few years back ( ex redly guy/s ).
Old 22 July 2016, 13:11   #5

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Have you looked at shearwater?

Not many about but lovely boats.
Old 22 July 2016, 15:27   #6
RIBnet admin team

Presume the other company you allude to is excalibur: smaller company similar style.

As HP suggests if you want some sort of "tent" then shearwater are in the game but I think your budget will be difficult as so few exist they are rare beasts on the second hand market. Otherwise you could go off the wall with Zar, I've no idea how many are in UK or price, but notice some new energy on the UK marketing.
Old 22 July 2016, 15:29   #7
RIBnet admin team

Oh, and I have no knowledge of if personally but there is a redbay at James watt marina on brokerage in your new size/budget if diesel is a consideration.
Old 20 August 2016, 18:53   #8

Thanks for the info guys , i'm going to keep researching options etc but really do like these boats , might have to drop to the 6m version regards budget .
Old 20 August 2016, 19:12   #9

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Redbay Stormforce 6.5 Canopy

Them Redbays are cracking boats 😁

Tags
redbay