Old 13 August 2008, 11:24   #1

Town: Dunblane
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 300
redbay hull water

Has anyone got water in the hull? I have.

Any ideas as to problem/soloution?
Old 13 August 2008, 11:46   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Well, no, but I do seem to remember someone else on here having a problem of that sort.
You might give us the details, hull type, configuration, moored or trailered, cover/uncovered etc. Age might be a consideration.
Is the water lodged in the hull, or draining after use? How much water?
Let us know.....
Old 13 August 2008, 20:49   #3

Moored. Covered insofar as the hood is concerned, but it can collect rainwater.

5 years old, Stormforce built up wrap around . I guess 2/3 pints
Old 14 August 2008, 10:23   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
If that's being collected over a period of days/weeks, then I'd guess that it is about normal. It might be worth checking the sealer around drain trunks if fitted and around deck fittings like hatches, tank access etc.

If you're going to be moored up all season, a small bilge pump would provide piece of mind
Old 14 August 2008, 16:27   #5

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Sula / Mingulay
Make: Ribcraft 7.8/4m avon
Engine: 300 hp outboard
Yep
We have had this problem on a 2000 6.5 metre wraparound. We filled the boat up with water and blew compressed air through the drain plug to find the leak and got bubbles coming up through the elephant's trunk, where it runs through the transom.

We put a healthy dose of sikkaflex round the leak and are waiting to see if it has done the trick...hard to tell if it has as there is still a bit of water in the hull, although this may just be residual.

Blowing air probably a good starting point.

Happy to help if i can
Alasdair
Old 14 August 2008, 16:48   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally S View Post
.... and got bubbles coming up through the elephant's trunk, where it runs through the transom.....
....We put a healthy dose of sikkaflex round the leak and are waiting to see if it has done the trick...
So, does that mean the water has soaked into the transom and then travelled on into the hull void and it's now wet wood inside the transom fibreglass?
Old 14 August 2008, 19:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally S View Post
Yep
We have had this problem on a 2000 6.5 metre wraparound. We filled the boat up with water and blew compressed air through the drain plug to find the leak and got bubbles coming up through the elephant's trunk, where it runs through the transom.

We put a healthy dose of sikkaflex round the leak and are waiting to see if it has done the trick...hard to tell if it has as there is still a bit of water in the hull, although this may just be residual.

Blowing air probably a good starting point.

Happy to help if i can
Alasdair
Thanks for advice all.

Ally S I have sent a private message given we share a similar problem
Old 26 October 2020, 12:44   #8

Town: Chester
Boat name: YoYo
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard 90 x 2
Hi, I too have this Issue. Did you ever get to the bottom of it?
Tim
Old 24 March 2021, 08:55   #9

Appreciating this is now a very old thread but in case anyone was interested I seem to have found the problem. Firstly I checked that the bilge was completely empty. I then filled the deck of the boat with 3 inches of water and left it for three hours. I then drained the deck through the trunk and opened the bung fitting between the bilge and the deck well. It took around 15 minutes for the water to drain from the bilge. The only deck fitting below the level of the water was a circular checker plate inspection hatch in the centre of the rear area of deck. It is screwed down with five stainless screws and has sealant between it and the deck. I think the problem is that it is not situated on a completely flat area of deck because there is anti-slip covering on each side with an uncovered strip down the middle so that the plate is partially on the textured anti-slip covering and partly on the smooth deck beneath. That is the only area where the water can possibly have entered from in that sort of volume. The sealant must have perished. I am going to lift and re-seal the plate.
Old 24 March 2021, 09:28   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Connolly View Post
Appreciating this is now a very old thread but in case anyone was interested I seem to have found the problem. Firstly I checked that the bilge was completely empty. I then filled the deck of the boat with 3 inches of water and left it for three hours. I then drained the deck through the trunk and opened the bung fitting between the bilge and the deck well. It took around 15 minutes for the water to drain from the bilge. The only deck fitting below the level of the water was a circular checker plate inspection hatch in the centre of the rear area of deck. It is screwed down with five stainless screws and has sealant between it and the deck. I think the problem is that it is not situated on a completely flat area of deck because there is anti-slip covering on each side with an uncovered strip down the middle so that the plate is partially on the textured anti-slip covering and partly on the smooth deck beneath. That is the only area where the water can possibly have entered from in that sort of volume. The sealant must have perished. I am going to lift and re-seal the plate.
If it's a Bailey type hatch, a circular frame bonded to the deck with a round plug, there's a large "O" ring between the screw in plug & the frame. Unscrew the plug, you may have/need a special tool to fit the plug in order to unscrew it. Check the state of the O ring or if it's actually in place.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2021, 09:34   #11

Will do. Work keeps getting in the way of boat chores but will check this and report back. Thankyou for the advice. I see that other people have experienced problems with water getting into the hull around the trunk but given the volume in this case it must be the hatch.