Old 03 July 2018, 19:15   #1

Length: no boat
Redbay 9.1 or Ribcraft 9.0?

Just wondering if anyone has experience of BOTH of these boats and is able to give an objective opinion as to which is the best seaboat/gives the softest ride head to sea?

Thanks
Old 03 July 2018, 21:46   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I think you’ll struggle to find many people 9.1’s are not very common. Are you comparing a heavy, twin engined cabin diesel with an O/b driven boat? Not quite apples and oranges, but maybe apples and pears!
Old 04 July 2018, 08:39   #3

Some Redbay 9.1’s were fitted with a single Yamaha diesel and plenty of Ribcraft 9m’s are single diesel so a good like for like comparison there.
Old 04 July 2018, 09:47   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ64 View Post
Some Redbay 9.1’s were fitted with a single Yamaha diesel and plenty of Ribcraft 9m’s are single diesel so a good like for like comparison there.

But to find someone who has experience of both could be a challenge
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2018, 11:26   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
From the off I'll say I haven't driven either, but I may have some useful info anyway regarding the Redbay 9.1m

First, we don't know which layouts you're contemplating - I'm guessing possibly almost fully open or Big Console styles? It's going to make a difference, because the final iteration of Stormforce 9.1s were fully decked with hard cabins and twin diesels - a long way from the very early almost open boats with singles and well decks.

It's worth considering the evolution of the hull - Redbay were working their way up successive hull sizes in the run up to the development of the 9.1m. The family owned multiple copies of each size and ran them throughout the islands of Scotland, returning to the drawing board every couple of seasons to refine their designs. Years of experimentation gave rise to the 9.1m hullform. Extremely beamy and well planted, it incorporated the hard nose to reduce the risks associated with stuffing in big seas. I had a conversation with a professional skipper when researching my own hull (not the 9.1m mould). He had owned at least two 9.1m and also the 11m which is an extension of the 9.1m mould. He said that this hull was absolutely unparalleled in a following sea - his words being that the 9.1/11m was special and the rest were "just RIBs".
My own feeling is that they need a lot of power to do them justice - the tubes stay firmly in the water under way. I also know that they are a "wide load" on the road - too big and heavy to travel on a boat trailer.

HTH
Old 04 July 2018, 19:07   #6

Hi Wilk,

Many thanks for your informed response.

You are quite right assuming I am considering a fairly basic setup by Redbay’s standards i.e. open RIB with large console etc.

I’ve had some experience with the Ribcraft in varying conditions and do like the way it performs. I’ve also had a quick blast in a Redbay 11m with full wheelhouse but as you rightly say, that is very different boat and by no means a direct comparison, hence my initial (maybe optimistic) question.

Outright speed isn’t a real priority nor is trailering her, so the priority for me really lies with comfort and ride quality at sea (build quality etc appears fairly equal).

I can see your point regarding the benefits of the hard nose in a following sea but wonder how she performs head to sea?

Just to confuse things, the skipper of the 11m that I had a trip in thought she gave a very hard and uncomfortable ride head to sea. I can’t comment as it was flat calm that particular day but his opinions seemed to be the opposite of the general consensus although he was quite experienced.

In the case of the 9.1, I wonder whether she performs best with or without the extra weight of the flush deck and wheelhouse? Quite often the original, more basic variants are better. I should also add that I very much like the design of the Redbay, hence my enquiry! Thanks
Old 04 July 2018, 21:14   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Just to confuse things, the skipper of the 11m that I had a trip in thought she gave a very hard and uncomfortable ride head to sea. I can’t comment as it was flat calm that particular day but his opinions seemed to be the opposite of the general consensus although he was quite experienced.

In the case of the 9.1, I wonder whether she performs best with or without the extra weight of the flush deck and wheelhouse? Quite often the original, more basic variants are better. I should also add that I very much like the design of the Redbay, hence my enquiry! Thanks
I really can't clarify that skipper's comments! I've run alongside 9.1s and 11s in 3m seas (both directions) and my impression was that they were doing just fine! Head seas can be uncomfortable, but it's a following sea that will kill your boat.

You're right about extra weight - it increases the forces experienced when hitting waves. I'd take a 9.1m to sea before my own 10m hull - the legend is THAT powerful!
Old 04 July 2018, 21:16   #8
Spammer

Town: Stirling
Boat name: Macaw
Make: Parker 750 CC
Length: 7m +
Engine: VERADO 300XL OB
SF RD 9.1 Hull

NJ64,

RB 9.1 SF rib is one of the best all time RIBs made by the team at Redbay Boats Tom Paddy & Joe !!!

I have done a lot of cruising on 9.1 & owned a 11mtr RB C/W twin 315hp Yam IBD.

RB 9.1 SF was designed by Joe McCollam a naval architect. The brief on the design for the 9.1 was twin diesel & when running at 25/30kn for the tubes just to be above the water line. First rib out the mould was Castor & was fitted out with twin 180hp merc diesel on B3 drives. Second rib out the mould was Gulfstream fitted with twin Yam 165hp IBD. This turned out to be a fantastic combination so much so that Castor was refitted to have twin Yam 165hp. Then a 9.1 was built for the Gibraltar Police & was fitted with twin 240hp IBD Yams with a top speed of over 40kn. A fantastic RIB that I had a run out on C/W blues & twos.

I can highly recommend the 9.1 hull as one of the best hulls on the market place & hard nose is a fantastic design by J McC.

I have been out in very big seas of all types in our 11 RB & one trip back from the North West 200 Portrush to Campbelltown in a force 8 & it was like Hawaii five 0. We were 30kn coming down waves with no power then 600 horses full on going back up.

There should be a very good RIB international write up on the 9.1 & there is a bit about our 6.1 C/W 150GT Johnson outboard:

Joe McCollam on our 6.1 had HMS from RIB magazine on our boat from Rathlin to Redbay & they played in the waves. He said "one of the most sure-footed craft of it’s size I can remembering handling" (Hugo Montgomery Swan from RIB International).

Give Joe a call he is a top man ( 07557 912520 )

All the best Callum.
Old 04 July 2018, 21:29   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum Stewart View Post
Second rib out the mould was Gulfstream fitted with twin Yam 165hp IBD. This turned out to be a fantastic combination so much so...
I keep bumping into Gulfstream - still looking a million dollars and a stunning craft. She buzzed me mid-Irish Sea with the floating Land Rover thingy and we were alongside each other at Ardbeg last year - we're the classy looking boats on the raft off Lagavulin running west to east...

Old 06 July 2018, 19:45   #10

Hi Callum and Willk,

Thanks both for taking the time to respond, the information that you’ve passed on has been really helpful.

I saw a photo of Gulf Stream recently complete with gleaming teak decks and she really did look the part. Do you happen to know how many 9.1’s were built to this design?

I will definitely give Joe a call as suggested and see what transpires... Hopefully see you on the water sometime.

Thanks again.
Old 09 July 2018, 20:09   #11

Quick follow up out of curiosity more than anything else but does anyone have a good picture of ‘Redbay 10’? Believe she’s a 9.1 with modified short cabin? Thanks
Old 09 July 2018, 20:16   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Quick follow up out of curiosity more than anything else but does anyone have a good picture of ‘Redbay 10’? Believe she’s a 9.1 with modified short cabin? Thanks
Her owner will, but he hasn't been around for a while:

RIBnet Forums - View Profile: Scottish diver

I've been aboard her on the hard. Nice boat, designed for private long haul cruising. They didn't make many of them in that format - 2 or 3 maybe. One was bought by Marine Harvest and gutted for crew transfer spaces.
Old 10 July 2018, 00:03   #13

Town: Dublin
Sorry to go slightly off topic.
Any opinions on Redbay 8.7?
Old 10 July 2018, 07:39   #14

Town: West Sussex
NJ64, Both brands are without any doubt very good ribs and most here will agree with me, but those two brands do not stand alone. Have you looked at the Parker Baltic range? For sure a very soft and dry ride and some may even say they have not had a better ride yet. I have a Parker 800 Baltic with twin Mercury Diesel QSD 2.0 (170HP) 4 cyl, linked to Bravo 1 drive. Mind you this rib is not yet for sale, so I am not trying to sell it to you but if you were visiting Southampton a blast in the Solent can be arranged. If you do not enjoy the ride, then I will be happy to pay your petrol money back home to Wales. There are two RB 9.0 mtr seasafari operating from Ocean Village in Southampton waters offering thrill rides or so called “ white knuckle” rides . You could use your time here to take a blast on one of them as well. A test drive on any rib is the only way you will get to the right decision.

Just to wet your appetite I have attached two photos taken by www.sportography.tv in the Solent during speed@seawork on Monday 2 July . The rib in the photo is my Parker 800 Baltic RIB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180702-0420.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	125712   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180702-0449.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	125713  
Old 10 July 2018, 07:43   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
NJ64, Both brands are without any doubt very good ribs and most here will agree with me, but those two brands do not stand alone. blah blah blah.
Shameless spot of thread hijacking Andre - things must be tight if you're reduced to peddling your wares door to door like a tinker.
Old 10 July 2018, 07:46   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dials View Post
Sorry to go slightly off topic.
Any opinions on Redbay 8.7?
Unusual size. I seem to recall a yellow and black yoke that ended up in Cork. Steyr powered at the time. I suspect the engines weren't a success story...
Old 10 July 2018, 08:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Shameless spot of thread hijacking Andre - things must be tight if you're reduced to peddling your wares door to door like a tinker.
Willk, As a fully paid up Trade Member I do not see anything wrong in my doing and I did put a good word in for your favourite brand so please stop moaning and grow up. From your tone I guess my post really p***ed you off .
Old 10 July 2018, 08:46   #18
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Willk, As a fully paid up Trade Member I do not see anything wrong in my doing and I did put a good word in for your favourite brand so please stop moaning and grow up. From your tone I guess my post really p***ed you off .
Nah, my tone is just me speaking my mind (now that I'm allowed). I've listened to you complaining about people "hijacking" your threads for years and yet you're a (apparently) shameless offender yourself. My "favourite brand" doesn't need a boost from you - the order books are full. The OP was asking for advice regarding a pair of used UK built RIBs, if you feel the need to offer "petrol money" to tempt him to buy a new eastern European import from you then knock yourself out. Smacks of desperation to me though.

And remember - "sauce for the goose", etc.
Old 10 July 2018, 09:20   #19

Quote:
Nah, my tone is just me speaking my mind (now that I'm allowed). I've listened to you complaining about people "hijacking" your threads for years and yet you're a (apparently) shameless offender yourself. My "favourite brand" doesn't need a boost from you - the order books are full. The OP was asking for advice regarding a pair of used UK built RIBs, if you feel the need to offer "petrol money" to tempt him to buy a new eastern European import from you then knock yourself out. Smacks of desperation to me though.

you are not so innocent yourself
Old 10 July 2018, 09:52   #20

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

Ooof! Liberated at last[emoji23]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
redbay, rib, ribcraft