Old 25 January 2015, 18:03   #1

Town: Mountain View, CA
Boat name: Six Park
Make: True Kit
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 6
Red boat

Does anyone own a RIB with red tubes?

Is there any disadvantage of using a red boat for NON-rescue purposes, like fishing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1400-933-8794-r.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	102542  
Old 25 January 2015, 19:29   #2

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Nimrod
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 200
My last rib was yellow hull and dark blue tubes - same as some of the coastguard boats. It never caused me any issues.
Old 25 January 2015, 20:22   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_fisher View Post
Does anyone own a RIB with red tubes?

Is there any disadvantage of using a red boat for NON-rescue purposes, like fishing?
Some red boats seem to go pink quite quickly (I guess most other colours simply fade to a paler shade of the same colour whilst red-pink is more noticeable). Other than this I am not aware of any disadvantages.
Old 25 January 2015, 20:26   #4

Town: Adelaide
Boat name: No Name
Make: Revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Mercury 90
Reminds me of a funny story. My daughter wrote a geography project about silting of the River Exe. As part of this we took some soundings at different times of the year. On the last occasion we were out early to catch the high tide. We took sounding down the estuary and then started on the channel. Just off Exmouth Docks we passed a yacht that was on its way out. The man on the helm looked at the rib, looked at the clipboard I was holding, and then started shouting and waving. I pulled alongside to hear him better. What was he saying? "I'm sorry. I meant to pay. Honestly. I only stayed one night. How much is it? I couldn't find the harbour office. I meant to pay. I looked for you last night. ...". My daughter wanted to relieve him of £25 but I felt impersonating a harbour officer may be punishable by banishment from the river.
Old 26 January 2015, 02:44   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Red won't be a problem.

In the US, most people are surprised that SIB's come in colors other than red. The only ones I've seen go pink are the really old hypalon boats, and that's only due to a white layer of oxidized hypalon.

jky
Old 26 January 2015, 08:59   #6

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_fisher View Post
If you mean ..will the colour distract the fish ... I don’t think the fish over my neck of the woods are fussy what colour of boat is above them..in fact the bright red might attract them. ?

I know my red and fluorescent yellow lures attract fish .. and I cant ever recall catching a fish on a grey lure..but I don’t think I have ever used a grey one..so cant really comment on that colour.

Old 26 January 2015, 18:00   #7

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Bright colors in a foggy area are a good thing. I would always take a red, orange, yellow, over any black or grey if allowed. SR4's generally come in grey tubes though, but are still one of the top boats. Fortunately the hull is typically orange

My PVC boat is still red after 23 years. Our climate here is very mild. So unless it is stored exposed in the sun it is not a problem.
Old 28 January 2015, 11:44   #8

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
My tubes are red PVC and they are fine. They never seem to look as grubby as orange can. It's been stored covered or indoors all its life though so I cant tell you if they are prone to pinking.

Phil M
Old 30 January 2015, 13:40   #9
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
I also drive a red sib, sits on a red-orange trailer and pulled with a red Focus, SE. If anything, on hot sunny days here the tubes can get a little warm.
Old 30 January 2015, 14:02   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth9702 View Post
Reminds me of a funny story. My daughter wrote a geography project about silting of the River Exe. As part of this we took some soundings at different times of the year. On the last occasion we were out early to catch the high tide. We took sounding down the estuary and then started on the channel. Just off Exmouth Docks we passed a yacht that was on its way out. The man on the helm looked at the rib, looked at the clipboard I was holding, and then started shouting and waving. I pulled alongside to hear him better. What was he saying? "I'm sorry. I meant to pay. Honestly. I only stayed one night. How much is it? I couldn't find the harbour office. I meant to pay. I looked for you last night. ...". My daughter wanted to relieve him of £25 but I felt impersonating a harbour officer may be punishable by banishment from the river.
I agree with your daughter - I'd have taken his £25!!