Old 08 September 2011, 13:05   #1
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Red Bay Powerboating

Red Bay Powerboating is essentially a training/adventure center owned and managed by Charles Stewart. It is not to be confused with the neighbours, Redbay Boats, although there is a strong cross pollination in evidence.

Tonymac and I had decided to do our RYA Advanced Powerboating Certificate with Charles and the course dovetailed nicely into the Redbay Boats Ardbeg Cruise. The center runs a Stormforce 6.5 open rib and has recently commissioned and taken delivery of the first production Stormforce 850 Canopy. We were to use the 850 and given the weather we had, this was a mercy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hirta and Major.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	62489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hirta launch.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	62490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hirta2.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	62491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hirta Layout.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	62492  
Old 08 September 2011, 13:24   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Charles has an excellent classroom facility just across from the slipway, so no time is wasted on the course. He has catering facilities in-house, so again, no wandering off. This means that you get the best use of time possible.

The weather was fairly poor with rain and strong breezes, running into gales. Luckily the wind was from the shore for most of the time, so the sea state was OK, just. We had a lot of fun and I certainly learned a lot from the two days. Perhaps most of all, I realised just how much more work I need to do!

Hirta the 850 was a blessing. She kept us warm and dry and felt stable and secure at all times. She has an excellent turn of speed from her twin Suzi 150s, making over 40kts loaded. Charles has her perfectly rigged for this type of work. He can fit two extra navigation stations for students, making her perfect for three on an advanced course. The nav. stations have working GPS and VHF over the chart tables. These can be removed easily and the base turned back into a pod seat. The four aft pods have clever lift off bases that can come away to clear space for cargo/equipment.

The boat/canopy works so well, that even in a horrible F7 hooley, I was able to grab a bit of video on my phone.

The center runs a comprehensive range of RYA courses and other specialities. Charles is a patient but thorough instructor. I'd recommend him to anyone. He also runs island/coast trips for hikers and bikers, so keep him in mind if you want to take a walk on the wild side...

Thanks for everything Charles!

Old 09 September 2011, 11:27   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Has it assisted you any in the selection of a future craft?
Old 09 September 2011, 11:33   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Has it assisted you any in the selection of a future craft?
If anything I'm even more confused - so many options. Safe to say that I'm an even bigger fan of the 850/950/1050 hull than I was before. Charles let us* do mad stuff in bad seas with it - it's a cracker!

* Actually, he egged us on!
Old 09 September 2011, 12:01   #5

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Looks good. You can see the wind strength from the way it's picking the spray up off your wake.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2011, 17:01   #6

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Good wee vid I thought .. would have been nice to see it humped right onto the back of the wave running directly before the wind, or was there a bit of tide making the waves uneven anyway ? .. spose you'd be making better speed at the angle you went .. personally.. the launch vehicle was far more interesting
Old 09 September 2011, 17:22   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
personally.. the launch vehicle was far more interesting
lol- I included it especially for you. I asked some questions for you too - it has been re-engined with the block from one of the earlier Cargo trucks. Loads of oomph!

We were just leaving the shore in the video. Red Bay was relatively calm as the wind was coming off the land. As we went out the lumps got bigger very quickly and off the headland (with the tide) it was building up nicely. That nutter Tonymac got her up to 27kts on the run back into the teeth of the wind

The 850 prefers to be pushed on - it's noticeably happier above 25kts compared to say, 22. It just cuts into the next wave and barrels on over it, the joys of a longer hull with a decent V. The next build is getting a waterjet and is destined for a client in England (and I can't say where )
Old 09 September 2011, 18:18   #8

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
lol- I included it especially for you. I asked some questions for you too - it has been re-engined with the block from one of the earlier Cargo trucks. Loads of oomph!
Thank ye kindly sir Aye its had a six cylinder conversion, thats why the front axle has been reversed, whereas the normal four pot has that Y shaped yoke locked in under the sump

Quote:
The 850 prefers to be pushed on - it's noticeably happier above 25kts compared to say, 22. It just cuts into the next wave and barrels on over it, the joys of a longer hull with a decent V.
I agree .. after being used to a 6.3 and going to an 8.5 .. I found the seakeaping improvement quite startling .. it wasnt the sort of.. 1/3rd longer therefor 1/3rd better, experience I was expecting, it was more like twice the boat .. (as they say in your parts) .. altigether
Old 11 September 2011, 09:23   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Quote:
That nutter Tonymac got her up to 27kts on the run back into the teeth of the wind

)
YEEHA!!!!!!!

And I'm still laughing hysterically about that run

All I heard in my ear was "power" "power" from Charles!!