Old 29 December 2006, 15:28   #41

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garfish View Post
yorr barmier thann dat codprorn. heel bee onn inn a minit sujestin yewzin a tirfer orr sumfink.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2006, 17:03   #42

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garfish View Post
fuk mee i woz towld dat de irysh waz barkin. noww i beleeve itt.

yorr barmier thann dat codprorn. heel bee onn inn a minit sujestin yewzin a tirfer orr sumfink.

gaRf
Barmier than Codprawn has to be a compliment..
He is the Sage of the Sea
I guess whatever it takes at sea to sort problem.
Old 29 December 2006, 17:57   #43
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post

I also am reminded of the Surf Rescue where they us speed of boat (jet ski with tow board) to retrieve an able body very quickly between rollers. They come along side slowing down to lower gunnel, firemans grip and hit the throttle which brings the body alongside firm and use the planeing effect to assist lift.
You need to be fit for this one.
Jet drive only for that one.
Hang on...
Good idea Chop the MOB's legs off with your prop so there's less weight to lift

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2006, 18:08   #44

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:

I also am reminded of the Surf Rescue where they us speed of boat (jet ski with tow board) to retrieve an able body very quickly between rollers. They come along side slowing down to lower gunnel, firemans grip and hit the throttle which brings the body alongside firm and use the planeing effect to assist lift.
You need to be fit for this one.
It is a recognised technique but you only attempt it with a prop guard fitted and definitely not one to consider unless you have had training. The other technique of the RWC and sled is also very effective.
As Nos 4r2 said chop his legs off less weight in the boat.
Old 29 December 2006, 18:40   #45

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive View Post
This post is very pertinent to my situation as my wife and I spend a lot of time discussing how to retrieve her from the water.
My missus is parralysed from the waist down.. Horse riding accident. but she adores driving the ribs we have owned
and on a number of occasions has expressed a desire to take
a dip but unfortunately we have struggled to find a dry suit for her.
so it has not happend yet.
Now after seeing this post I feel much more confident about recovery.
She obviously would not be able to kick to assist me so legs first is a super idea.
Thankyou very much!!

but of course I would wear a life jacket
Clive
Clive
Not to knock you back at all with your recovery hopes. But i see you are a pac22 bod.
Just bear in mind those tubes are quite big and sit high when at rest. so may have to try it further aft than normal.
I havnt tried the feet first yet but will try it next time afloat and will let you know how i get on
Paul
Old 29 December 2006, 19:34   #46

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
Weve recovered with the feet first method, and it was a doddle, just a simple pull and in the casualty comes, retrieving from the back would seem a little dangerous in adverse conditions, more chance of injuring yourself on A frame
or knocking your teeth out on the engine cowl. as mentioned this method is suitable for an able boddied recovery, obviously an injured or unconsious person would be different.
Old 29 December 2006, 19:49   #47

oh yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Jet drive only for that one.
Hang on...
Good idea Chop the MOB's legs off with your prop so there's less weight to lift
There is always some one picking holes in my perfectly good theories.....
Nos4r2, I thought that all my resucs were unlucky cos teh Sharks got the lower half, I always thought that geenie, these fellas are a bit unlucky to have me saving them with Sharks always trailing me and getting them...

Only Joking, though the word Shark will always kill a good laugh....

Yeah.. they were Jet skis come to think of it.. still better half than nothing...

There is a film just out where the plot starts with the kids jumping off side of the yacht an then realising, SHit no one hungout the ladder... I have not sen it but I can imgine.
I am afraid that I am gettingtoo heavy and old for Pull ups. Dont even know if there is a set of steps on my new 6.5 ballsitic.
Old 29 December 2006, 20:02   #48

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
This is an interesting method of laying somone up in the boat. I havnt got a great experiance with spinal recovery boards, do the hands not go within the straps?

Note: No Lifejackets again "not exactly advertising best practice"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lifeguard7.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	24034  
Old 29 December 2006, 21:04   #49

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Rubbish, in twenty years of diving I have yet to see a diver surface unconscious. Missed decompression stops yes, but never unconscious.
Well, it has happened around here a few times. Not sure of the circumstances (they are diving accidents, after all, which are pretty hard to apply forensics to in any great degree), but of the 9 or so diving fatalities in my area (this year was pretty bad), at least two of them were alive upon resurfacing, but never made it out of the water alive (for the record, most of these were beach dives, among fairly inactive, but certified, divers.)

jky
Old 29 December 2006, 21:13   #50

Quote:
I remember a movie about the US Navy Seals school using a large horse-collar type loop to do something similar. Boat would fly along at something around 20 mph, bringing the recoveree down the side. A crewmember would hang the horse collar over the side, just clear of the water. The recoveree would stuff an arm through the collar, and as he got yanked, would roll up over the tube into the boat. Not sure how they avoided dislocated shoulders or having the crewmember pulled into the drink, but there you go. Might have had that scene in "G.I. Jane", or it may have been some other movie. Don't recall now.

jky
Old 29 December 2006, 22:07   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
This is an interesting method of laying somone up in the boat. I havnt got a great experiance with spinal recovery boards, do the hands not go within the straps?

Hi Jono, I see you mention Laying a person in the boat so i thought that I would just add MarkM`s photo which is a different laying in the boat.
http://dng.ie/search_result_detail.cfm?ID=106865

See under sex in a Rib currently on view.
Old 29 December 2006, 22:38   #52

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Nice one Aidan

Is this your house? http://dng.ie/search_result_detail.cfm?ID=106865

Jono
Old 30 December 2006, 04:05   #53

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
for the record, most of these were beach dives, among fairly inactive, but certified, divers. jky
Sadly an increasing problem in the UK too. 20 years ago if you couldn't free dive 7m in a wetsuit and bring a brick back up you failed, so only the fit went diving. Now anyone who can self certify themsleves fit can do it

Paul makes a good point with the tubes on a P22, we recover divers over the stern as the tubes are to high, we even keep the engine running whilst divers swim round the stern and life jackets are carried but rarely used unless its a boat handling course or really scary conditions. However everyone will have a drysuit (or occasionally a wetsuit) on since you can't actually dive with a lifejacket on and an auto would be a disaster on a dive boat with that much water coming aboard during diving operations.

Pete
Old 30 December 2006, 05:47   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Sadly an increasing problem in the UK too. 20 years ago if you couldn't free dive 7m in a wetsuit and bring a brick back up you failed, so only the fit went diving. Now anyone who can self certify themsleves fit can do it
Way off topic, but my dive buddy, who is an instructor, had a student who ended up winded coming out of the water. My friend asked if he was OK, and the guy, in broken, wheezing breaths, said " I... guess... that pneumonia.... really does... make a .... difference..." [He did not continue in the class. Didn't get his money back, either.]

jky
Old 30 December 2006, 06:49   #55

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:

That because they are beach lifeguards Jono and we don't wear them. We have a choice of the helm wearing a PFD or not as when you enter the water to effect a rescue they are of no use.
Nice to see you looking on the net for information though.

Re the spinal board you are right arms should be inside the webbing I must update that picture from my website well spotted.
Old 30 December 2006, 10:43   #56

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Way off topic,
The point is that we didn't see fat people diving, afterall how are you going to lift a 300 lb diver that weights as much as a Yamaha 115 back into the boat ?

Pete
Old 02 January 2007, 09:37   #57

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15
Quote:
Just a few pics of how to recover an able person from the water.
Seen this geezer in the drink before, seems to make a habit of it, looks to me like he has fallen out of the Ty Coch Pub (arguably the pub with the best location in uk [Sunday Times] see www.tycoch.co.uk) If anyone sees this M.O.B.y Dick in the water leave him there it's his natural environment. Best way to recover mob is by a swimming ladder GET A MEDLINE
Old 02 January 2007, 09:50   #58

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
Jono

Seems approiate seeing that you are talking about man over board drills and have included some photos there. One interesting thing I would pick up on is why neither of the crew in the boat are wearing a bouyancy aid or lifejacket. If either of these 2 had gone overboard in the current conditions, they would not have long in the water with tempertaures at the moment, before hyperthemia setting in and would have trouble staying afloat. At least if they had one on then they would have some bouyancy provided.

A golden rule that I teach and all other instructors that I know teach, that is before going on the water, you must be wearing either a lifejacket or bouyancy aid depending on what activity you are doing.

Seems like these crew need to be advised to wear some form of flotation,and would have expected that you would have insited that they wear something before stepping foot in your boat.

Rich
Yeah but these guy's didn't stand a chance someone has flogged their lifejackets see this post http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17440
Old 04 January 2007, 15:54   #59

Town: Hamble
Quote:
Simon

The old dunk em pull em is far more dangerous for both parties.

Jono
That's the method that the BSAC taught me in the 70's, do they still teach it?

Why is it dangerous to both parties?
Old 05 January 2007, 09:27   #60

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
That's the method that the BSAC taught me in the 70's, do they still teach it?

Why is it dangerous to both parties?
1 - Risk of water inhalation by the casualty on the downward "dunk"

2 - If pulled into the boat facing upwards, the spine's curvature is stressed in the wrong direction as the spine curves over the tube

3 - The casualty can't be recovered facing inward to the boat as the (hopefully) inflated lifejacket impedes recovery

4 - The obvious risk of muscle / tendon strain to the rescuer associated with lifting heavy leads

5 - The chance of the rescuer being pulled overboard by the casualty - especially if the casualty is wearing "normal" clothing which will have become weighed down with water.

OK, some of these risks are associated with all recovery methods, but like anything it's a balance of mitigating as many risks as possible before embarking on a course of action.

Regardless of casualty condition, best method is still cradle / rope log roll.