Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Recommend me a South Coast drystack-Poole to Chichester range

Afternoon all,

Thinking about drystacking the Ballistic.
I'd prefer not to get the trailer wet and Poole to Chichester area would be my preferred location.
Annoyingly, I can't find a number for Rockley if anyone would PM me it?
Cost is important.

Any recommendations?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2018, 13:05   #2

Town: Sark
Boat name: Go Ballistico
Make: Naiad
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo Kad 44
KB boatstack in old Portsmouth is where I keep my ballistic, once in the water just a few minutes from the Solent. You will will receive a parking permit so even when not using the boat it is useful for Gunwharf etc. Really friendly team
Old 05 July 2018, 15:22   #3

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Southampton Dry Stack. I have been keeping Ribs there since 2009 and can confirm it is a superb location and very friendly and helpful team. Look them up www.southamptondrystack.co.uk and discuss what option they can offer you.
Old 05 July 2018, 15:45   #4

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
In Poole MDL at Cobbs Quay offer modern dry stacking on racks with a fork lift. Parkstone Bay Marina store boats on special launch trailers for their "dry stacking", and pull them in/out as required. Rockley also have a dry stack I believe, although I haven't visited.
Old 05 July 2018, 16:41   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
RIBase
Thanks guys, got a few emails going out from those.

What is getting right up my nose is when these places have these massive fancy websites, but don't display prices at all.MDL are probably the most frustrating, only displaying weekly rates. Anyone got an idea what they charge, as they don't seem to be particularly good at making it easy to become their customer. I don't WANT to create a 'user account' for these clowns to spam me.
If I'd had access to the prices online I'd have made a decision by now. Instead, they want all my personal info.

Old 05 July 2018, 16:58   #6

Town: Sark
Boat name: Go Ballistico
Make: Naiad
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo Kad 44
kB in old Portsmouth start at £450 per meter per year, I think there is a discount if you pay upfront.
Old 05 July 2018, 17:45   #7

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Southampton Dry Stack cater for individual requirements hence best to call them on 02380238084 or visit them. In 2009 I paid them a visit having seen a few other places. I made a decision on the spot and today 9 years later I still know I made the right choice. [emoji106]
Old 05 July 2018, 17:51   #8

Town: Southampton
Make: XS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
MDL are probably the most frustrating, only displaying weekly rates. Anyone got an idea what they charge

MDL prices vary by location; circa £470/M at Saxon Wharf. Speak to Julie there, she is very helpful (I can PM her email if needed)

MDL brings some benefits over the independent places, like a) their freedom berthing (off the top of my head I think it's unlimited short stay & 20 overnighters) & b) fuel at cost (which works out around about supermarket prices on petrol)

Last fill up saved me £55 & £8-10 on a short stay, adds up to £4-500 per year for my usage
Old 05 July 2018, 19:54   #9

Cobbs Quay dry stack, MDL very good, cost not sure as cant remember, I think between 3 and 4k per year for a 7.5M.

one thing to bear in mind MDL marinas give discount off fuel prices so can make a big saving on fuel if you use your rib alot.
Old 06 July 2018, 07:41   #10

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Afternoon all,

Thinking about drystacking the Ballistic.
I'd prefer not to get the trailer wet and Poole to Chichester area would be my preferred location.
Annoyingly, I can't find a number for Rockley if anyone would PM me it?
Cost is important.

Any recommendations?
Not Drystack but I can highly recommend Eastlands Boat Yard - Home Page, trailer sailor based, superb launch slip and half the price.
Old 06 July 2018, 09:14   #11
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
If I didn't have a braked trailer I'd do that, but after being on the receiving end of a £1000 bill for trailer brakes and bearings a few years ago from a trailer that'd been used solely for launches...

Well. So far one in Poole (not MDL) is out-insane prices and total inflexibility coupled with poor tidal access.

Old 06 July 2018, 09:45   #12

Re tidal access, I used to be at Parkstone Bay marina dry stack, tidal access could be a problem there which limited somewhat your time afloat.

Some people think cobbs quay marina can be an issue with regard to the time it takes to get out the harbour, but in my opinion where it is located is great as it gives a bit of interest straight away from leaving the pontoon going through holes bay past RNLI, under two bridges and past quay etc. No tidal issues as long as you stick to the marked channels (people often get stuck if they stray away from marked channel in holes bay, clearence in a rib for both bridges is fine about 98% of the time, I have a 1.5M aerial mounted on top of A-Frame and can clear the bridges nearly all the time, only a few times (very high tide on new or full moons) is it an issue and I have to lower the aerial on its pivot mount. Nice bar at cobbs also and shower block etc, chandlery on site, a few marine servicing companies and a cafe.

They also have work racks so you get your rib put on one of these for easy access for maintanance.

Another consideration would be security, plenty of marinas have had engines nicked etc, I know that cobbs has a locked gate on the entrance which does actually get locked at night.
Old 06 July 2018, 10:13   #13
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Re tidal access, <.....what he said.......> I know that cobbs has a locked gate on the entrance which does actually get locked at night.
Cobbs is definitely in the running at the moment, as is Gosport and KB.

It's a damn shame nobody drystacks in Christchurch.

Old 06 July 2018, 14:41   #14

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Eastlands - no problems with Eastlands. In addition to the storage costs, it costs £25 to launch / recover the boat if you get them to do it. Going down to the boat to tinker is slightly marred by the very adjacent M27 noise. It is a bit of a trip to the open sea but it is an interesting river and there is fuel at Port Hamble and probably others.

Southampton Dry Stack - can't fault the team there. Always friendly and I never struggled with launching / recovery. Only one comment and I suspect it is the same with most dry stacks is that when I get back I quite like to wash the boat, do some tidying up etc which is generally cut short by (my perception of) the desire to lift the boat out and free up jetty space. They will put it on the maintenance berth for you though. Fuel (diesel at least) is available by the Itchen Bridge although opening times seem a bit random.

They are the only two places I've used but I am looking at other options when I finally finish my project.

A few general considerations:

Road access - how easy is it to drive there? If you spend ages in traffic to get there or back, it may make you think twice when considering whether to go out.

Availability of fuel - mine is diesel so this may not be relevant to the majority of ribber's

(Near by) Services - coffee shop, toilets, chandlery.

Weather - a couple of times with the family on board I've got to the end of Southampton Water and decided the Solent chop will make life unpleasant on board so we've diverted to the Hamble or messed around in So'ton Water.
Old 06 July 2018, 15:52   #15
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
Not Drystack but I can highly recommend Eastlands Boat Yard - Home Page, trailer sailor based, superb launch slip and half the price.

Having kept a boat there in the past, Eastlands would come well down my list. There are other options that give much better access to the sea with less distance at displacement speed.
Old 06 July 2018, 16:06   #16
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Having kept a boat there in the past, Eastlands would come well down my list. There are other options that give much better access to the sea with less distance at displacement speed.
Eastlands tidal restrictions plus the need to use my own trailer to launch means it's a no for me. The original trailer under my boat had been used like that and it cost £900+ IIRC just to get it safe to tow.

The only way I'd consider it is if they had their own launch dollies.

Old 08 July 2018, 21:03   #17

Town: London
Boat name: OCHI II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 800
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225hp Suzuki OB
Southampton Dry Stack for me. I went because people on here said it was a better option than trailer storage. I forked out the extra money and we now use the boat much much more than before. Indeed it’s been so successful we just bought a bigger boat and once again it’s at SDS. The place is not perfect, but the guys make the difference. Bill and the team are a credit to the Marine industry and moreover to themselves. Bills owns it and runs a great business with super reliable, friendly team who are always on hand with advice and guidance and to help if they can.