Old 04 May 2011, 07:11   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Recent thefts

Is it just me or has anyone elso noticed the amount of RIBs and engines being nicked over the last month to six weeks around the solent?

http://www.stolenboats.org.uk/search...b&catagory=rib

http://www.stolenboats.org.uk/search...agory=outboard
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2011, 07:25   #2

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
Is it just me or has anyone elso noticed the amount of RIBs and engines being nicked over the last month to six weeks around the solent?

http://www.stolenboats.org.uk/search...b&catagory=rib

http://www.stolenboats.org.uk/search...agory=outboard

it's pikey season Ben, the hamble is full of them, trouble is the police are spineless, the farmer up hamble lane has a lagoon over the back of his field where they are and it's now full of shit as they've been using it as a bog dump, it's going to cost him thousands to pump out and clean up when they leave, on a brighter note, they haven't nicked that little boat of your's, still here
Old 04 May 2011, 07:31   #3

Length: 7m +
And yet another one nicked today, will post details later. I reckon someone should contact the local TV station, south today or whatever and have them run an article on it, they are always looking for good news stories. I don't want to blame the police but these boats are not exactly small items to hide or transport so why arn't the police stopping people with boats going on ferries or in continers and asking about ownership ? They shoudl do some spot checks.
Old 04 May 2011, 07:36   #4

If you look at the trends, they seem to be pinched in two's and threes every month or so, also the majority are under 7m mostly around 5 or 6M length and always on trailers. The security in many of the marina's involved seem to be non existant as many marina's hit multiple times over the years. People also need to start asking some hard questions about security in the marina's. Many marina's state they have great security with CCTV cameras and patrols etc but still get hit.
Old 04 May 2011, 07:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
it's pikey season Ben, the hamble is full of them, trouble is the police are spineless, the farmer up hamble lane has a lagoon over the back of his field where they are and it's now full of shit as they've been using it as a bog dump, it's going to cost him thousands to pump out and clean up when they leave, on a brighter note, they haven't nicked that little boat of your's, still here
Indeed, got some of them round my way aswell. Andy B said there was issues over Fawley with the folk recently...

Haven't forgotten about the boat mate, will come and get it been busy sorting out some issues. Still got that motor aswell if you still want it?
Old 04 May 2011, 07:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I don't want to blame the police but these boats are not exactly small items to hide or transport so why arn't the police stopping people with boats going on ferries or in continers and asking about ownership ? They shoudl do some spot checks.
With you on that, didn't they find a few on a farm in Emsworth a couple of years ago?
Old 04 May 2011, 08:03   #7

Looks like the motor on the ballistic was in bits when nicked....

http://www.stolenboats.org.uk/view.php3?q=4363
Old 04 May 2011, 12:19   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I don't want to blame the police but these boats are not exactly small items to hide or transport so why arn't the police stopping people with boats going on ferries or in continers and asking about ownership ? They shoudl do some spot checks.
How would that work? How would you go about proving that you are the legitiamite owner of your boat if the police stopped you? Perhaps a bill of sale - but how would a roadside copper spot a real one? Perhaps an SSR number for boats going on ferries - but they'll not be hard to fake and if these are planned thefts your SSR no is on public display for all to see. In any case there is no legal requirement to have or carry either of these so it would be difficult to detain someone for not having them. Is the average copper going to start hunting for engine serial numbers to check a database at 2 am? Once its inside a container it will be even harder to check - how do you pick which containers?

There's no central registry of boats which makes it very easy to pass off a stolen boat.

As you say security at many boat yards/marina's is very lax. Obviously there is a cost to improving this. From what I can see insurers base premiums on general postcodes rather than specific yards/marinas - perhaps if they had discounts for "approved" yards operating secure systems it would encourage change (but it would only make sense to insurers if they make more £ that way).
Old 04 May 2011, 12:38   #9

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Surely any system can be made to work if there is enough will to do it? Insurance companies have the hull identification numbers. when you insure a boat and it would no be difficult to set up a central database of this information (like with cars). Anyone stopped with a boat could be cross referenced with the insurance for that boat. So it would simply be a matter of having to prove who you are. Most of us are carrying so form of ID even if it's a credit card.

But like I say, there needs to be a will to create such a system and I guess the insurance companies don't think it's financially worth it! Then of course there is the matter of policing the system!!!!!

However, it may deter thieves if they think there is a chance that they might be challenged if caught towing a Rib.
Old 04 May 2011, 12:42   #10

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
As you say security at many boat yards/marina's is very lax. Obviously there is a cost to improving this. From what I can see insurers base premiums on general postcodes rather than specific yards/marinas - perhaps if they had discounts for "approved" yards operating secure systems it would encourage change (but it would only make sense to insurers if they make more £ that way).
From this thread it sounds like boat storage safety might, in general, lag significantly behind the current principles of caravan storage and insurance. I'm sure this is driven by market forces - more caravans to steal, more do get stolen.

Insurance quotes for caravans kept in third party storage are a function of the safety of the storage facility. The "Caravan Storage Site Owners Association" (CaSSOA) operates a scheme of graded security...the higher the security - up to Gold standard - the higher your insurance premium discount.

The 'Gold' standard storage we use has multiple laser beam intrusion sensing, amongst other things.

Maybe there's a business opportunity for CaSSOA to expand into boats?
Old 04 May 2011, 14:57   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Surely any system can be made to work if there is enough will to do it? Insurance companies have the hull identification numbers. when you insure a boat and it would no be difficult to set up a central database of this information (like with cars). Anyone stopped with a boat could be cross referenced with the insurance for that boat. So it would simply be a matter of having to prove who you are. Most of us are carrying so form of ID even if it's a credit card.
Its possible but with no regulatory requirement and no government department to manage the process there isn't a driver for it to happen. I assume that since boat insurance is actually relatively cheap that the actuarial risk is not that high.
Old 04 May 2011, 18:58   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer

it's pikey season
Oi!! Easy tiger

ee lad, tha can't educate pork
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2011, 07:41   #13

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Oi!! Easy tiger

ee lad, tha can't educate pork
you wouldn't be welcome down here at the moment Dave, bad choice of handle
Old 05 May 2011, 13:57   #14

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
you wouldn't be welcome down here at the moment Dave, bad choice of handle
You need to understand the irony, it was my warm, caring, touchy feely consideration for the travelling "community" that earned me the name in the first place, from a set of p155 taking diver mates
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2011, 06:59   #15

Just counted how many outboards have gone missing this year since Jan 1st = 125 !
Old 06 May 2011, 07:19   #16
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Just counted how many outboards have gone missing this year since Jan 1st = 125 !
Is that just on the South Coast?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2011, 12:35   #17

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
I was stopped by the police while towing my RIB in Cornwall a few months, after a spate of thefts in the county. They followed me for a couple of miles then pulled me over to ask a few questions. They also checked whether any boat matching the description of mine had been reported stolen. They told me they were stopping all RIBs that they came across being towed in the area. Delayed me getting to the slip by a few minutes, but I’m happy to miss 10 mins on the water if it helps the police prevent boat theft. Was good to see them being pro-active.
Old 06 May 2011, 14:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickdog View Post
I was stopped by the police while towing my RIB in Cornwall a few months, after a spate of thefts in the county. They followed me for a couple of miles then pulled me over to ask a few questions. They also checked whether any boat matching the description of mine had been reported stolen. They told me they were stopping all RIBs that they came across being towed in the area. Delayed me getting to the slip by a few minutes, but I’m happy to miss 10 mins on the water if it helps the police prevent boat theft. Was good to see them being pro-active.
Thats great, wish they would do that down here, perhaps we should suggest it.
Old 15 May 2011, 11:30   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post

Search :: StolenBoats.org.uk

Search :: StolenBoats.org.uk
Continuing the theme- this post has just been sent out on Hamble again, not ribs but more sailing gear

"POLICE are looking for a gang who tried to steal more than 30 sailing masts.

The haul would have been worth several thousand pounds.

Residents at Westfield Common, Hamble, were woken up by noises in the early hours of the morning and outside found masts wrapped in plastic with rigging and rope.

These were gone by the time police arrived but a search of the area uncovered a further wrapped up collection of masts.

Police are keen to speak to anyone who keeps a vessel in the Hamble area and may have had a mast or other equipment stolen to contact them.

The masts were taken on Wednesday."
Old 15 May 2011, 12:57   #20

Boat name: llyn raider
Make: xs
Engine: 1 200hp merc
re stolen ribs being transported.

If the police took the van/car vin numbers down and the drivers photo id + a few pictures+serial number of rib being towed (about 5 minutes on the road side) of everyone towing a rib/taking one abroad that they stop and leaving the country with one then it would be easy enought to trace back who stole it. it wouldnt be instant but at least the theives would at least get caught/disuaded. and im sure if your rib was nicked you wouldnt mind looking through photos of all the ribs the police have stopped since the theft.