Old 15 May 2011, 18:06   #21

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that you can't get into, or out of, Hamble without passing Hampshire Police's operational HQ.

Perhaps if they spent less time brushing out doughnut crumbs on their way back to clock off, boaters might stand a chance.

Of course, you can't doing anything about the pikeys, being a protected "ethnic minority" etc
Old 15 May 2011, 18:44   #22

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
We've had loads of outboards go from down here to the point where it's becoming a joke, three major boat storage places. On one of them they came back for seconds but were disturbed by a local farmer. .... he called the fed's and they took two hours to arrive. Dartmouth police atation now closed permanently. Happy days
Old 16 May 2011, 07:34   #23

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
I've got a better one. The boat that went from eastlands was seen by the yard owner and reported. Like I'm watching it go up the hill. He was told by plod. They could do nothing until the owner reported it himself. The worlds falling apart

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 16 May 2011, 11:38   #24

Town: Taunton
Boat name: K-OS 2
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Evinrude 90 Outboard
Was going to start a thread similar today but just gonna tag on the end of this one.

Spent the weekend in Wales using a pontoon and slip I have used for years, all we do at the end of the day is tie up, take out the keys and petrol and leave the rib. Suddenly thought at 3 in the morning " blimey theres 12 grand of rib on that pontoon and anyone could tow it away at any stage".

We do this on a mooring in cornwall as well in the summer as do thousands of others. Is there any way of making a boat left on a pontoon or mooring a bit more secure......is there an equivelent of a bike lock for a boat ( would need to be as long as your mooring lines I suppose).
Old 16 May 2011, 12:11   #25
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midger View Post
...is there an equivelent of a bike lock for a boat ( would need to be as long as your mooring lines I suppose).
If you go on the bike forums you'll discover that bikes locks are regularly broken by determined thieves - and this is often for a much lower value "prize". A lock will only help keep good people honest - not prevent systematic theft.

You could use something like a cable type lock to secure it to the pontoon - but bear in mind that the pontoon owner might not like you locking yourself to the pontoon (most marinas/harbours will expect to be able to move your boat if the wish).
Old 16 May 2011, 12:17   #26
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midger View Post
Was going to start a thread similar today but just gonna tag on the end of this one.

Spent the weekend in Wales using a pontoon and slip I have used for years, all we do at the end of the day is tie up, take out the keys and petrol and leave the rib. Suddenly thought at 3 in the morning " blimey theres 12 grand of rib on that pontoon and anyone could tow it away at any stage".

We do this on a mooring in cornwall as well in the summer as do thousands of others. Is there any way of making a boat left on a pontoon or mooring a bit more secure......is there an equivelent of a bike lock for a boat ( would need to be as long as your mooring lines I suppose).
In a nutshell if the thief wants it etc etc, but we have trackers fitted which will help if the boats go with a text warning when they move which can help give you a head start.
On pontoons and moorings we use a very heavy duty wired padlock system through a fixing on the boat and onto mooring chain or marina pontoon( that always upsets marinas- due to emergencies etc). Even these can be cut or ground off. I work on theory that if ours are hard to take then they may go elsewhere.
There are numerous threads on here covering trackers. Most of the recent threads of theft have been on trailers even though CCTV was available and trailers locked but they are easier to take then a boat and then getting a trailer loaded with your stolen boat down river etc- again engines can be chainsawn off the transoms so it does pay to have engine locks but they are only a small deterent
Old 16 May 2011, 13:16   #27

Length: 7m +
3 or 4 more thefts recently, all around southampton, hamble, new forest area, all on trailers. Look at posts under stolen ribs section
Old 16 May 2011, 14:43   #28

Town: Taunton
Boat name: K-OS 2
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Evinrude 90 Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
In a nutshell if the thief wants it etc etc, but we have trackers fitted which will help if the boats go with a text warning when they move which can help give you a head start.
On pontoons and moorings we use a very heavy duty wired padlock system through a fixing on the boat and onto mooring chain or marina pontoon( that always upsets marinas- due to emergencies etc). Even these can be cut or ground off. I work on theory that if ours are hard to take then they may go elsewhere.
There are numerous threads on here covering trackers. Most of the recent threads of theft have been on trailers even though CCTV was available and trailers locked but they are easier to take then a boat and then getting a trailer loaded with your stolen boat down river etc- again engines can be chainsawn off the transoms so it does pay to have engine locks but they are only a small deterent

Thanks Ian, take your point that at least if there are boats of a similar value about at least make yours more difficult to take than others !! The pontoon we use in Wales is very quiet and there are not even any charges to use it so cant imagine anyone would get particurlarly upset if a heavy duty Motorbike chain was used.

The other message I am getting from this thread is that more boats seem to be getting nicked on trailers (locked) than getting nicked from pontoons or from moorings, I suppose it is a real ball ache to try to get a trailer etc for a stolen boat and much easier to nick it all as a package as it were. Therefore I think it might be safer to leave it on a mooring or pontoon !!
Old 21 May 2011, 21:58   #29
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I've moved all the tracker buying talk to a new thread here:-

http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/tracker-bulk-buy-41698.html

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2011, 22:03   #30

Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Make: Coastline
Engine: Suzuki 175
Some of you have seen the Yamaha Sho post in stolen section, the guy who posted has some info which he's posted on pwc forums which I've copied in the hope it may help others.

'Have you checked the Pikey encampment down Hamble Lane?

HI Mate, as it happens, it was a Mitsubishi Pajero seen on CCTV taking it, also seen earlier in the week snooping around the Marina, Reg was taken and Police are investigating... guess where the Pajero is from, Yep you guessed it!!! The same vehicle was seen in Eastlands Marina the month before, when they lost a RIB and Eastlands also lost an outboard on Saturday night...

Was your immobiliser turned on? I can see you're not in Moody's you're on the other side of the road!

hi yes mate, the other side of the road, RK Marine... Yes it was imobilised, so not sure what they will do with it? This was locked in a secure shed, behind the main gates, they rammed the doors with the 4x4 and got access to the shed, then opened the roller shutter doors!! this was all done at 10pm so not even that late...
Old 24 May 2011, 23:11   #31
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
They'll get caught soon then.

Old 25 May 2011, 07:09   #32

Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Make: Coastline
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
They'll get caught soon then.
The fuzz have a vehicle description, reg no and location...soooo
Old 25 May 2011, 15:48   #33
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cannell View Post
The fuzz have a vehicle description, reg no and location...soooo
About 4 years then.

Old 27 May 2011, 08:45   #34

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
a few more bits nicked around marchwood

Search :: StolenBoats.org.uk
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2011, 10:05   #35

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Qoute: "You could use something like a cable type lock to secure it to the pontoon - but bear in mind that the pontoon owner might not like you locking yourself to the pontoon (most marinas/harbours will expect to be able to move your boat if the wish)."

My bugbear is people who secure their boats - usually knackered old things to a pontoon on a cable & lock. The cable is always short, so not allowing anyone else to get onto / tie up on the pontoon. Very selfish especailly in busy areas where's ther's vey limited shore access - e.g Dartmouth.

Why cant' people have the courtesy to allow a decent length of line / cable to allow others access to the pontoon Peopel do this with painters as well , but at least you can lengthen a painter length!! Rant over

LT
Old 15 June 2011, 10:02   #36
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Another one

Just seen this on Twitter
rib stolen from Lymington@1930 last nite towed by a silver Mitsubishi it went up A337 then turned left for beaulieu

No more details yet.
Old 15 June 2011, 10:14   #37

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
rib stolen from Lymington@1930 last nite towed by a silver Mitsubishi it went up A337 then turned left for beaulieu
That sounds like a promising lead, fingers crossed.
Old 15 June 2011, 11:22   #38

Quote:
Just seen this on Twitter

No more details yet.
A couple of months ago I spotted a silver mitsubishi or similar pick up type of vehicle towing what looked like a solent charter Rib (one had been stolen), in the morning along the A31. The thing that caught my eye was the speed he was travelling, about 65mph in the fast lane in built up traffic. Yes, I did report the sighting.
Old 15 June 2011, 13:48   #39

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
, I did report the sighting.
Did you hear back?
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote