Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Recent Purchasers of new RIBS - Help Please

Hi,

Doing some market research here. Aimed at people who have bought new RIBs in the past 3 or so years.

Can you answer, please, the following questions:

1. What features were most important to you in purchasing a new RIB?
2. What features / things were most difficult to obtain?
3. What did you dislike about the process?
4. Would you have liked the offer of a turnkey product involving the following:
* delivery in three weeks
* standard build, seating, console, engine, electronics
* package including insurace, finance, berthing deal...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bruce
Old 27 February 2006, 09:01   #2

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
1. Manufacturer's reputation, build quality/durability. Whether it's cars, motorbikes, guns etc. I invariably buy new and keep for several years so my primary requisite is quality. Other major criterion is dealer reputation and reputability. Not interested in internet 'bargains' from non-established organisations.

2. The option of test drives with a variety of engine brands and sizes. Unless the dealer has a multi-franchise operation for engines you are invariably tempted to go with the brand(s) he sells.

3. I had an excellent dealer with an established reputation (Fineway Leisure in Norfolk) so the whole purchasing process was far more pleasant than the typical car buying scenario. No major dislikes other than issue stated in point 2 above.

4. * Short lead times are nice of course, but if you plan your capital purchases and don't subscribe to modern society's must-have-it-now philosophy then it isn't a huge issue, at least it wasn't for me.

* Would not influence me in the slightest. In a lot of cases you're offered a standard build anyway and the addition of options is hardly a hassle. In the case of larger, multi-option products part of the fun of buying new is speccing to your own requirements and getting a more bespoke boat.

* Might be useful, but I think most purchasers of RIBs are savvy enough to research their own financing and insurance arrangements and probably secure a better deal in the process.

Although I was a complete novice to RIBs when I bought my Searider and my boat is small, I would apply exactly the same criteria listed above to the purchase of any future RIB regardless of size.
Old 27 February 2006, 11:14   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819

Cost

I don't think anything was difficult if you were willing to pay.

I don't think there was really anything. The only advantage I can see of turn key is that you can test drive the actual set up you are going wtih. Picking the right engine e.g. is the risk, but there are lots of people (not all with a vested interest) willing to advise.

I got delivery in this time frame (its a rotomoulded RIB-a-like rather than a real rib!) , but this meant there was no flexibility in design / add-ons.

I had to accept standard seating/console etc. But provided engine and electrics myself. This saved me significant money, although a "turnkey" solution was offered. If I was spending more on a bigger / better boat I would want the freedom to spec it to MY needs.

I always feel that if something comes with a packaged finance/insurance deal that I am getting ripped off. I can see it is more convenient - but if it is too complicated to arrange these issues then I'm not sure you actually want to own a boat. As for Baerthing - I doubt you would offer it in Scotland! And 1/2 the attraction of a RIB for me is being able to tow it wherever I wish.

Any thoughts?

I think you are slightly mistaken if you think that buying a rib is actually a traumatic experience. I think most people will agree it is a slow experience though. There are probably three main components: HULL, ENGINE, TRAILER and there should be a saving if you buy all three as a package. I think that some of the larger companies already do this, and are pretty much churning out 'turn key' boats. Also how many people go and buy a brand new rib as their first boat? So most new rib buyers probably know exactly what they want.

Thanks

Bruce [/QUOTE]
Old 27 February 2006, 11:30   #4
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker
Hi,

Doing some market research here. Aimed at people who have bought new RIBs in the past 3 or so years.

First reputation/quality (got down to 4 builders) and then cost on a similar spec (down to 2). Then it was a gut feel as to where I wanted to spend my money.

Quote:
Nothing was difficult - it just added to the cost.

Quote:
The time it took. 6 months from order to delivery.

Quote:
Not really - A standard build wouldn't have met my needs - and I doubt 3 weeks would be possible for a bespoke boat. The other stuff isn't much of a hassle - and a 'turnkey' financial solution is unlikely to meet my needs either.

Having said that - there is probably a market for that kind of package - I just don't know how you would go about identifying it. Is that type of 'one stop' purchaser going to buy a RIB - or would they go with a ski-boat? Perhaps people who think about it hard enough and decide they specifically want a RIB will also want to spec it to their requirements.

Just my thoughts.

D...
Old 27 February 2006, 12:50   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Eighth Child
Make: Rib X
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 E-Tec

The seating layout. I've got loads of kids and needed enough seats for all of them.

The seating layout!

Dealing with "experts" when you don't know anything. Having to rely on them for advice when they are just trying to sell you something.

Delivery - no big deal
but insurance and a berth is a good idea provided it was a genuine discount on what I could have got independantly
Old 27 February 2006, 15:11   #6

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
my comments below your questions
Quote:
Hi,

hull type
hull length
handling
build quality
colour
layout
flexibility
type of engine
type of trailer
seat colour
engine colour..prefer black...dislike white
console type and layout

for me buying second hand was not an option as nothing had all the bits and qualities i was looking for so buying new and being very specific about what i wanted was best. i would not fit the standard package profile
i loved every minute of it as it was a project for me, cutting thru the chaff and bullshit to find good information about products then finding the right supplier to engage was very important.
if the right package was around at a very reasonable price when i first started looking for a rib then that would have been good, but i would not have entered into a purchase plan as mine is a cash deal and i have very specific needs around insurance and where i keep the boat and requirements. i would not spend 2-3 k on storage of my boat as i know i can get it for 10% of that

i always make my money work for me in the best possible way as i have a few interests and they all cost £££

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bruce
Old 27 February 2006, 17:26   #7

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Even if you buy a car to your own spec i/e a new Merc or BMW it will be 16 to 20 weeks before you get it. so to have a hand made boat in say 6 months
isant that bad mine was 6 months and the process was great i was like child waiting for christmas. The people at scorpion could not have been more helpfull i know it was exspenive, but if you compare it with say buying a house from an estate agent i think the estate agents could learn a thing or too.
Old 27 February 2006, 21:02   #8

Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
New RIB Purchase

Hi,

I bought my first RIB new last year. Here's my 2 pence worth.

1. Price, company reputation, build quality, ability to have input into layout & options, ability to discuss intended usage & get meaningful advice rather than a sales pitch.

2. Wish list was bigger than my cheque book!

3. Initial calls & sorting out the companies that would actually talk to you rather than trying to 'sell to you'. As a newby I wanted to take my time, develop things and I learnt and make sure I got it right - a lot of money being spent! But not a chore. Just part of the process in finding out who you feel comfortable dealing with. Quickly discarded those that were only after a quick sale. Lots of advice available - Codprawn seems to be the 'in house expert' here. The trick is sorting out the good from the bad. I enjoyed specing up my own boat from new -the risk is getting it wrong & making expensive mistakes.

4. Not too bothered about turnkey. How can one product suit everybody? Need different features for diving, watersports, cruising, etc. Delivery time within reason was not an issue for me. In the end I got a bespoke package in 4 weeks. Build quality was important. As for seating, console, engines, etc everyone has different requirements. Choice and flexibility of layout much more important. The dealer I dealt with used one electronics make. I arranged my own purchases & got deals because of it. Only drawback was they would not fit gear not bought through them - understandably. Same with finance (if you need it) and insurance. I agree with Polwart on this one - nice to have a standard package on tap, but usually more cost effective to source it yourself. I preferred to sort out my own insurance. If you're lucky enough to have bearthing available I'm sure some local purchasers would be interested but not much use for national sales.

Good luck with whatever you are planning.

Jeff