Closed Thread

Old 15 June 2013, 16:43   #1

Length: 9m +
Really Confused Need Help?

Hi i'm practically ready to have a 6.5m-6.75m rib made for me can you please give me some advice on the correct engine hp to go for i'm thinking the 150hp yamaha or Mercury can you please tell me would this be ample power as i want to keep the cost down but also make sure i still get the grin factor and performance from the correct engine selection thanks....

Old 15 June 2013, 16:45   #2

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by iberfoptic View Post
Hi i'm practically ready to have a 6.5m-6.75m rib made for me can you please give me some advice on the correct engine hp to go for i'm thinking the 150hp yamaha or Mercury can you please tell me would this be ample power as i want to keep the cost down but also make sure i still get the grin factor and performance from the correct engine selection thanks....
If you want "Grin Factor" go for an Etec

Old 15 June 2013, 16:48   #3

Have to consider dealer service centres near me as i live in N.Ireland so thats why my preference is for yamaha/Mercury
Old 15 June 2013, 16:51   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Quote:
We have run three 650-655s on Yamaha 150 s and they have been great, good power and fuel use. Would be good to know weight of the RIB you are thinking of having built also for others to compare.
Old 15 June 2013, 16:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
We have run three 650-655s on Yamaha 150 s and they have been great, good power and fuel use. Would be good to know weight of the RIB you are thinking of having built also for others to compare.
Sorry Should Have Mentioned The Boat is A Osprey Viper Max as far as weight not sure maybe you could help
Old 15 June 2013, 16:59   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Looking at their web site http://www.ospreyribs.com/ribs/osprey-spec-viper.pdf the weights shown will easily work with a 150 hp
Old 15 June 2013, 17:12   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Have to consider dealer service centres near me as i live in N.Ireland so thats why my preference is for yamaha/Mercury
Its a good reason for choosing, BUT are you aware the Etec shouldn't need to see a dealer in the first three years (and I presume every 3yrs after that). There is at least 1 Etec dealer in NI (although I realise the roads in NI can mean something that looks close is several hours away) - in fact I think all the main manufacturers have representatives in NI.
Old 15 June 2013, 17:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Its a good reason for choosing, BUT are you aware the Etec shouldn't need to see a dealer in the first three years (and I presume every 3yrs after that). There is at least 1 Etec dealer in NI (although I realise the roads in NI can mean something that looks close is several hours away) - in fact I think all the main manufacturers have representatives in NI.
Yes your right about the roads! lol however would you feel the 150hp Yamaha would be fine in terms of performance etc in i increased the size of the rib to 6.75m to give me more room between the second set of jockey seats and rear bench cheers
Old 15 June 2013, 17:27   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
I'd be asking Osprey for their opinion - they should know their boats as well as anyone, but 25 cm shouldn't be material unless 150HP was marginal power (which I don;t think it is).
Old 15 June 2013, 17:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I'd be asking Osprey for their opinion - they should know their boats as well as anyone, but 25 cm shouldn't be material unless 150HP was marginal power (which I don;t think it is).
Yes your probably right although i would like to know what i'm talking about because sometimes your budget can be blown out of proportion if you can't remain disciplined and appear to know what your talking about!lol